When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Carrera Chrono Racing

SilverG

Hey guys,

I've been lurking in Rolexes only, and have finally broken out of my shell and am exploring other brands. One watch that caught my eye was the Carrera Racing Chrono... this one

tag-heuer-carrera-mtc.jpg

I ordered one from Andrew and it's on the way. Was wondering.. how accurate is this rep next to the gen?

Like I mentioned earlier, I have been a Rolex only guy in reps, and am not too familiar with the accuracy of the reps. What is different on the rep of this compared to the gen? Weight, dimensions, subdial spacing, thickness, rotor engravings etc...

Thanks very much!

Guest farquar

I think its a very well made rep..Little tone differences in the red hands and the date font I believe is the obvious shortcomings..And the rubber is not comparable to the gen quality wise maybe but all in all a great rep for sure.

I have the Carrera Racing, love that watch, I think it's the one rep that gets most of my wrist time. I've compared it to the gen at the AD, and I think it is very true to the gen. The newer gens have different rotors and the fine adjustment is missing on the A7750, but that stuff is all on the behind of the watch.

I always change the datewheel and I also applied AR to the crystal on mine, it makes huge difference on the Carrera Racing, it is absolutely stunning with AR!

I think you will love the watch. Never tried it in water though, not even in the shower.

I wear mine on a black LE strap with red stitching, I don't like the rubber strap, it goes all the way "into" the case of the watch, so to say, making it stand out a bit before bending along the wrist, do not like the looks of that, it is the same on the gen, I like it more when the strap follows the wrist all the way from the pushpins in the lugs.

Edited by 801run

I have one on its way too!! Stay tuned. It would be nice to source the rotor from the new Carrera Day Date with the new cut-out and the eta style bearing...nice! I don't know where you can get this part though.

They say you can swim with it (Puretime's site says waterproof to <50m...yes he uses "less than 50m"...which means it's theoretically possible...but get it tested.

Agree with you toad, the new rotor is cooler .. however, the one on the carrera racing rep is also correct, this was the rotor that were used on the gens 'til 2007 (i think? maybe 2006) But as francisco mentions in his modding-thread, the bearing is incorrect on the rep.

Yes the watch is definitely up for some waterproofness, you can see it has double gasket rings when you unscrew the case back, also the pushers has o-rings. But I guess you'd probably want to grease them up a bit with silicone before taking the watch for a dive.

I really like the case of the carrera, highly polished with the bevel-like edge around the black bezel, it really feels like an unique design. Also, it is the only watch I have that has ever been noticed by anyone =) .. a guy in the office that I'd never talked to before once said to me "I really like your watch, don't mind forgetting it on my desk some day.." hehe.

Agree with you toad, the new rotor is cooler .. however, the one on the carrera racing rep is also correct, this was the rotor that were used on the gens 'til 2007 (i think? maybe 2006) But as francisco mentions in his modding-thread, the bearing is incorrect on the rep.

It is a great looking piece. I really like the 2008 Aquaracer as well (orange accents).

The new rotor is awesome...and I've seen pics of the rep that have the ETA looking bearing as well. Either way, the bearing mod that Francisco outlines can be done on it either way. I know that the old rotor is accurate...just being like TeeJay and going for good looks over accuracy on this one.