When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 reversing wheel transplant?

yodap

Hi everybody,

My reversing wheel is messed up. My watchsmith took it apart, cleaned the wheel, reassembled it, but still not good. When I wind it, the rotor spins, and it doesn't generate enough power reserve. It's the 28,8k A7750. My watchmaker has done such a transplant before on a daytona, the problem was the same, but he can't remember if it was a slow-beat, or a high-beat A7750. Will the ETA part fit the 28,8k asian? Has anyone tried it before?

Thanks!

It doesn't fit directly and is one of the parts that often needs replacing on an A7750 that The Zigmeister has run out of. Expensive process to make a new one...and impossible to find a replacement for except from a donor movement. More details found here:

Francisco's Reversing Wheel Maintenance Tutorial

Quotes of note from the above thread:

The Zigmeister:

"I have modified the ETA reversing wheel, and the ratchet driving wheel (1482) by cutting the pivots down on the lathe and making them fit the Asian 7750...the problem is the time it takes to do the lathe work, and the cost of the ETA parts...it isn't economical to use this as a fix for the problem."

Francisco's thread outlines different cleaning processes. You can ask your watchmaker if they have tried the solutions outlined in the article. Good luck.

This is one of the classic reasons why The Zigmeister says to get things serviced early before the parts wear out from being dry and dirty. Hopefully yours can be saved with cleaning!!

It is beginnig to be a very common problem. Yes, some times cleaning as my tuto shows does not work. Then you have to replace the reversing wheel.

I have just bought the gen reversing wheel and I will try to find a solution to fit the gen RW without using a lathe...but probably I will fail....

Francisco.