When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portu Laurus HELP Non working Movement Ripped off by Member

nehender

As a Newby to collecting I thought Id be better buying 2nd hand from a member so bought the above from another member "Verbal" back in February for

I am very sorry to hear that!

Unfortunately the 3714 rep movement does not have a great reputation and is known as the "ticking timebomb".

The mod usually performed is the graphite treatment offered by a few modders on this site. Domenico is one that just pops in my head, as well as others.

Seems I bought a bit of a dud... I'll do my research next time!!!!

What is the graphite treatment you mention?

Cheers

I am very sorry to hear that!

Unfortunately the 3714 rep movement does not have a great reputation and is known as the "ticking timebomb".

The mod usually performed is the graphite treatment offered by a few modders on this site. Domenico is one that just pops in my head, as well as others.

verbal is a good guy, and this is a bit of a grail watch for me....but the movements are indeed very risky.

Bear in mind that this watch probably had some seconds at six mod work done already - I don't know if or how that impacts on anything.

This watch is so gorgeous I'd probably wear it even if it wasn't working! That's no consolation - but it's an absolute beauty.

Hi Nehender,

the graphite treatment is quite difficult if you are not familiar with timepieces to do this yourself. another solution is to remove the extra gears underneath the dial and freezing the running seconds. this directly takes away the reason of the watch not running anymore.

I already let my watch smith perform this mod on 2 portuguese chrono's. both work fine still up to know. the cost of this mod from my watch smith was around

Hey Guys

Many thanks for all of your help just out of curiosity, if I did change the movement what would you suggest and how much should it cost. I would like to reain all of the functionality if possible

Cheers

Or get a gen 79350 from me ;-)

Hey Guys

Many thanks for all of your help just out of curiosity, if I did change the movement what would you suggest and how much should it cost. I would like to reain all of the functionality if possible

Cheers

nearly impossible to change the movement to other within acceptable price. will cost you probably more than what you paid for the watch.

you could also have the movement have a complete service. will cost around 175-200usd. will work again afterward, but no guarantee for long future because the sec @ 6 mod is just not reliable for the long term.

nearly impossible to change the movement to other within acceptable price. will cost you probably more than what you paid for the watch.

you could also have the movement have a complete service. will cost around 175-200usd. will work again afterward, but no guarantee for long future because the sec @ 6 mod is just not reliable for the long term.

Or have the movement serviced and the graphite treatment performed - success!

Hi All

Except for a mod who gave the "supposed ripping off member" an endorsement as a "good guy", all other posts avoid the issue.

I would like to think that Verbal would give his thoughts on why Nehander thinks he is a [censored] and what the causes/remedies of this dispute are.

These watches do seem to be highly problematic so it is a case of buyer beware. Like the OP though (as a new member) I also hoped that the majority of members would have integrity

Cheers

Your not unlucky at all, and I don't think for one minute that you were ripped off.

Any running seconds at 6 movement is a problem, the movement is overloaded. Just because it failed to work when you received it, doesn't mean it didn't work when it was sold.

I have posted detailed reviews on the running seconds at 6 models for close to 4 years now, it's not a new issue or problem.

The best long term solution is to have the movement serviced and the running seconds at 6 gears removed and the subdial frozen. Anything less and your going to have continuous problems.

RG

Me again

Can I also add I never saw the original sale add -_-

Can I also ask if it is possible to buy a "reliable" movement for a 3714 Portuguese ? I have 3 dead ones already & shelling out $200-300 for a reliable watch I would consider

Thanks

Thanks Toad ... that was quick B)

No sweat. Concepta seems to have access to a lot of gen IWC movements and the occasional dial. So far, the issues of swapping seem the stem alignment due to the thinner gen movement requires a spacer of some sort...and needing to find a fitting solution for the 2 second hands (chrono and running)...whether that is broaching, gluing or what, I have no clue.

Me again

Can I also add I never saw the original sale add -_-

Can I also ask if it is possible to buy a "reliable" movement for a 3714 Portuguese ? I have 3 dead ones already & shelling out $200-300 for a reliable watch I would consider

Thanks

No not possible. You could use the 200usd for a complete service of one of the dead ones you like best. And if it has problems again, you can remove the gears under the dial and freeze the second hand. The graphite treatment is also a possible solution but a mere experimental one.