When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 4 of your Submariner: how is it?

relox

Today, while wearing my nymphomariner, which I received more than a month ago but just resized this thursday, I realized a thing in the "40" printed on the bezel.

The thing is the space inside my "4" is not a triangle, since is has four sides. As my English is not the best and the issue is hard to describe, I have decided to post two pics -borrowed from other members- so that you can tell me about the difference and whether it is or not a flaw:

The Sub with the "triangle 4":

rolexsubmariner029sr7.jpg

The Sub with the "non-triangle 4" (this is from Narika

Well, as an owner of gen and rep Rolexes, I can assure you that EVEN two gens of the same model and period sometimes hugely differ. This is due to the fact that Rolex S.A. uses more than one producer for spare parts. It's this kind of thing that causes phenomenons like the flat S on the word "Submariner", or the so called "spider" dials, or the infamous cream dial on 16550 Explorer II, and on and on...

Edited by elepaolo

Well, as an owner of gen and rep Rolexes, I can assure you that EVEN two gens of the same model and period sometimes hugely differ. This is due to the fact that Rolex S.A. uses more than one producer for spare parts. It's this kind of thing that causes phenomenons like the flat S on the word "Submariner", or the so called "spider" dials, or the infamous cream dial on 16550 Explorer II, and on and on...

Agreed: I have both "4" too, in gens :blink:

Rolex is the worst brand in these matters probably.

No rules, or so few!

Ditto! With Rolex it's hard to know the rules, because sometimes there aren't any.

Around 2005-6 Rolex changed the "4" in 40 on the insert to the triangular font. Prior to that it had been the boxy font- four sided, so to speak. So if you have an old tritium 16610 or a 16800 and need an insert, Rolex will just slap a new triangular 4 insert on there for you- they don't care, it's still genuine Rolex. Likewise with a dial and hands, they'll upgrade/update, unless you specify not to. This tends to piss off the hardcore collectors.

Older inserts (315-5513) which came on 5513's and 1680's were boxy, typically, but did come in thick font and thin font. I believe the thin font was later.

Thank you, mates, for the info! I am more than happy with my Sub but, when I realized that "difference", wanted to know more about it and whether it was, as it looks to be, an issue which is known even to gens owners or not.

Well, let