When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Before and after.....better or not?

Justasgood

Before. It doesn't look right with a black second hand. Blech! OK, after looking at it a few more times, it you just have to have a black second hand, at least find one that matches/compliments the original hands. The new second hand is way out of place style wise. IMHO that is...

It looks great with either, but which is correct (or closer to the hand that came with it)?

Well,

both the gold and Blued hand were used in 1962-1963.

This blued hand came from my donor watch that I pulled the 1560 mov't from to build my 5512 Franken. I forgot about the handset and came across them yesterday.

Kurt

Before. It doesn't look right with a black second hand. Blech! OK, after looking at it a few more times, it you just have to have a black second hand, at least find one that matches/compliments the original hands. The new second hand is way out of place style wise. IMHO that is...

Thanks TB,

Actually the hand is Blued. Oddly, the original owner had the Hour and minute hands painted black for visibility and the seconds hand was painted Red.

It was during the cleaning that the tail of the seconds hand broke.

I am searching for a gold replacement so the Blued hands is a stand in. Rolex actually used both gold and blued hands for 1962-1963.

regards,

Kurt.

Kurt - If you can match the color of the hour marker lume, I would definitely relume the hands. I debated whether to relume the hands on my OPD, but the dial lume was much darker than yours (it matches the darkened lume in the hands), so I decided to leave it as is (also note the (proper) blued seconds hand)

2snowy6534008skin1.jpg

Kurt - If you can match the color of the hour marker lume, I would definitely relume the hands. I debated whether to relume the hands on my OPD, but the dial lume was much darker than yours (it matches the darkened lume in the hands), so I decided to leave it as is (also note the (proper) blued seconds hand)

2snowy6534008skin1.jpg

Man,

The old style dagger/Dauphine hand and markers really exude style and class. I will Rolex would find their way back to these cues.

I especially love the Red/Black datewheel....or is it all Red?

Since my dial was re-done, the lume is still clean and glows. So I figure no harm in cleaning up the hands and re-luming them as well.