When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Iwc Jones Replica Passed The Test....

gran

99852-26484.jpg

The IWC Portuguese

I was on the airport in Toronto going to Houston on the 4th of August and i met the watch collector Georges Mijares (Director of Gabriel Resources Ltd Toronto). Washing my hands in the washroom I got a glimpse of his gold IWC Portuguese Chrono-Automatic-3714.02 Watch (a watch that can cost up to $10,000 new). I said “that’s a nice watch you got there” he said yes "thank you" and spotted my IWC Jones and strongly complimented me on it and how nice it is. He said he was a watch collector and so did I and even after he had looked at my Jones he did not realize it was a replica. Georges even said that he had looked at the Jones in Amsterdam and had almost decided to buy it. Then he asked "can I ask how much you paid for your Jones". At that point I felt that I hade to tell him that it was a replica.....and when he then realized I was wearing a fake he was surprised but not too upset…still we parted as friends and he gave me his business card so we could have further contact (should I?).

Regards

Gran the Collector :smile:

BTW I bought my last eddition IWC Jones with decorated movement and blued hands form Eddie Lee

99852-26485.jpg

Gran, You have a very nice IWC Jones!

What movement is that?

It is difficult to tell a rep these days. Even "Collector" cannot tell the different sometime. :D

I don't understand that a real watch collector is that easy to convince. I also own a rep IWC FA Jones. Two weeks ago I carefully compared my rep with the gen. I put my rep next to the gen in a store in The Hague (Holland). The gen looked different: better finish (which is easy to see) and the dial looked better like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/wat...ie/DSCN1936.jpg

My friend and I both agreed that the rep did look a little bit cheap compared to the real deal... :( You have to see the gen FA Fones in order to see the difference. Anyway, I still think it's a good rep.

Edited by none

I don't understand that a real watch collector is that easy to convince. [...]

My friend and I both agreed that the rep did look a little bit cheap compared to the real deal...

It's really easy to convince one when you don't have a genuine to compare it with. If all you have is a memory of the real thing, a rep will remind you of it.

These "Oh, it's obviously a rep" spotters are usually fellow rephounds. Even the WIS of the world get fooled if they have no reason to suspect a watch.

For IWC, it is pretty easy to tell whether it is a rep or not. First would be by the AR. Gen IWC AR glass is very distinct and you can tell it is very well done and it shows a great deal. Second, would be the quality of the dial. The dial tells a whole lot. You don't have to compare much side by side in details to know which is gen and which one is a rep. Somehow for a gen IWC, the dial glows/shines/ back at you. Of course, you can escape if it is just a glimpse from afar, but if you were to stretch out your hand, it can be easily recognise if it is a rep or not. But my opinion is biased because I know this rep exist.

If I didn't know the rep existed, I wouldnt not doubt the person unless the rep is so badly made. I would probably think the watch is 'odd'/ flimsy looking, esp for an IWC.

You guys are correct..obviously the genuine is of much better quality...still he apparently beleived it was genuine until I told him it was not so ^_^

of course you guys can tell the difference. thats cause you already know what to look for. the average person will not know what to look for and cannot remember every single detail of a watch. Especially if they never owned it and only seen the watch a couple times in person or just photos.

I'm a IWC collector, and let me tell you..... the FA Jones is a very good rep that would fool 99% of the people out there that don't know there is a rep, don't own the watch but know what the FA Jones is. Besides, there are only 4500 FA Jones in existence. The chances of running into a FA Jones owner is not very good.

of course you guys can tell the difference. thats cause you already know what to look for. the average person will not know what to look for and cannot remember every single detail of a watch. Especially if they never owned it and only seen the watch a couple times in person or just photos.

I'm a IWC collector, and let me tell you..... the FA Jones is a very good rep that would fool 99% of the people out there that don't know there is a rep, don't own the watch but know what the FA Jones is. Besides, there are only 4500 FA Jones in existence. The chances of running into a FA Jones owner is not very good.

I beg to differ...in part. It will fool anyone who does not know that an IWC Jones existed (or the ones who think that Jones is an homage to Alan Jones the Formula 1 racer)...but anyone who had or seen an IWC close up will recognize it as a rep (I very good one I must admit) .... The difference is staggering. The finish and craftmanship of the higher end watches (with the exception of the VC 'Over at Sears') simply cannot be reproduced at this price range. Check a real Patek or even better, a Lange & Sohne...that is an experience on and of itself!

And yes, the chances of running into an FA Jones owner is VERY VERY SLIM...I think there are many more IWC Jones owners with the watch # 117 than IWC watches out there :lol:

Cheers

Alex

I just love the fact that I have "very good reps" When a salesman at an AD or a collector or owner of genuines is blown away by the quality of the replica, it always sparks an interesting conversation. As was mentioned before in another thread, I don't consider the watches we love and collect to be the run of the mill. These are watches that actually make the owners of genuines stop and think "now why the hell did I spend all this bread on this watch when I could have gotten one of those?" I consider them "high fidelity copies" of genuine pieces. When someone inquires as to their origin, I tell them, truthfully, they are pieces almost as rare as the genuines. You can't get these babies on Canal Street.

Indeed a beautiful history... IWC F.A. Jones is a replica that attracts a lot me

For now of IWC Replica I have purchased only for me this IWC with Eta 7750

bought in Rome :

100061-26443.jpg

100061-26444.jpg

100061-26445.jpg

unfortunately not so close with genuine as IWC F.A. Jones

In all fairness I dont think the guy inspected the watch that closely in a mens washroom :) Maybe just looked at it for 4 or 5 seconds (at the most) and said "Hey - thats a nice watch, Ive got the same one" sort of thing...

I dont mean to take away anything from the rep, it is a beautiful watch...and if one has no reason to assume its fake, youd assume its a gen right right away.

For IWC, it is pretty easy to tell whether it is a rep or not. First would be by the AR. Gen IWC AR glass is very distinct and you can tell it is very well done and it shows a great deal. Second, would be the quality of the dial. The dial tells a whole lot. You don't have to compare much side by side in details to know which is gen and which one is a rep. Somehow for a gen IWC, the dial glows/shines/ back at you. Of course, you can escape if it is just a glimpse from afar, but if you were to stretch out your hand, it can be easily recognise if it is a rep or not. But my opinion is biased because I know this rep exist.

If I didn't know the rep existed, I wouldnt not doubt the person unless the rep is so badly made. I would probably think the watch is 'odd'/ flimsy looking, esp for an IWC.

I agree--

I have to say that I am pretty dissapointed in the dial quality on my silver handed Jones with the decorated movement from EL.

It looks cheap. Even my wife said so.

I thought so from the pictures, but I was hoping it would have better presence in person. With all the folks here dwelling on modding virtually unnoticable issues (like short cannon pins on PAMS), I figured this was an amazing rep by the way that our community went gaga over it.

Sorry, but my standards are higher than this rep.

I agree--

I have to say that I am pretty dissapointed in the dial quality on my silver handed Jones with the decorated movement from EL.

It looks cheap. Even my wife said so.

I thought so from the pictures, but I was hoping it would have better presence in person. With all the folks here dwelling on modding virtually unnoticable issues (like short cannon pins on PAMS), I figured this was an amazing rep by the way that our community went gaga over it.

Sorry, but my standards are higher than this rep.

I totally agree with you! It's all pretty obvious...

:lol::lol::lol:

BTW he did take a very good look at the Jones on my wrist :yeah:

Reading this thread it seems the 99.99999999999999% Jones rep needs to be greatly improved? I guess it could be slightly improved but will this ever happen?........forget it. What we need more than anything is a beleivable replica of the The IWC Portuguese

g. :)

What we need more than anything is a beleivable replica of the The IWC Portuguese

g. :)

Totally.

The Portuguese is my grail watch. I was all dialed into getting a gen last spring, but my bonus came up short!

I have never seen a believable rep of it. I don't know why it's so hard to make a good one since the gen uses a modded 7750 movement.

I disagree. Is this one of the best IWC reps? You bet. To be able to pass as a genuine? Far from it. You would probably fool 99% of people who do not know much about IWC or people buying it just because they can. A lot has to do with how you present youself to others with a rep on your wrist. But in terms of focusing just on the watch itself, you will be fooling yourself that a less than USD$200 can be passed off for the gen, esp with NO AR (huge huge giveaway esp from a distance), numeral indices and subdial imprints are substantially different in terms of quality (... and with the movement, the finish is def. not up to par).

One rule I tend to go by (which work so far for me): If a watch can't pass the test by looking at pics (at diff. angles), you can forget about passing off as a gen.

I disagree. Is this one of the best IWC reps? You bet. To be able to pass as a genuine? Far from it. You would probably fool 99% of people who do not know much about IWC or people buying it just because they can. A lot has to do with how you present youself to others with a rep on your wrist. But in terms of focusing just on the watch itself, you will be fooling yourself that a less than USD$200 can be passed off for the gen, esp with NO AR (huge huge giveaway esp from a distance), numeral indices and subdial imprints are substantially different in terms of quality (... and with the movement, the finish is def. not up to par).

One rule I tend to go by (which work so far for me): If a watch can't pass the test by looking at pics (at diff. angles), you can forget about passing off as a gen.

One rule I go by is if the watch is on your wrist and it makes you sick, then it's a crappy rep.

I can't add anything to this. The fact that the guy did not notice it does not say anything. Believe me, I saw the gen next to my rep. There is a CLEAR difference in finish. Also the glass/crystal is very different, the dial looks a lot better etc.

That does not mean it's a bad rep, not at all! It's just still pretty far away from being as perfect as e.g. a high-end 16610 rep.

I handled the gen a few times at ADs in Hong Kong.

There is a clear difference in quality of the rep and the gen. The rep just doesn't look right. First of all, the dial printing is a lot sharper and crisper on the genuine, which IMO screams fake on the rep. The crystal of the rep also stinks because of the lack of AR. There is also a noticeable difference in the finishing of the case. Finally, the hands look cheap and painted with blue fingernail paint.

Sold mine yesterday. Have a lot of dresswatches & the FA didn't match in quality the price i paid.

gerco