When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stopped in the AD for a DeepSea...

gioarmani

Not a fan of the DSSD but I really appreciate what you've done here, Gio.

You are very talented.

Geo, after looking at the lume shots of your rep compared to the gen, is it me or does the rep lume look blue-er?

Gen:

3283562401_4708f395d9_b.jpg

your rep:

IMG_1271.jpg

BUT it seems... these few look REALLY close to gen...

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

my question is, did you use too much? When its fully charged, is it showing as really blue like the 2nd pic. or gen like lume in the 3 &4th pic above.

Thanks gio

So with the better lume, does that make the charge last longer? It seems on mine that it only lasts for a couple minutes and then fades away into oblivion...

bummer

yeah it seems like the lume lasts a LOT longer according to GIO's post. He stated, the dial could be read clearly after 8 hrs...

The color depicted in photographs can be deceptive. You can't really use "too much" lume; regardless of the quantity, the molecule has a pre-programmed color & peaks after it's exposed to a certain light temperature, regardless of how long it's exposed to the same light source; it can only be one color/hue/strength at it's brightest. Using more lume powder in your mix will not make it a deeper shade of blue, or green, etc. Here's the pure lume, not mixed down with any binders or varnish:

IMG_1267.jpg

It's the same color in it's thick, pure, powdered form as the lume after mixed, applied & dried.

If you check Tritec's Superluminova website, it explains on each shade of lume what temp of light exposure results in a peak charge, when it hits peak and how long the peak lasts before it fades, how fast the peak tapers off, and how long the fade will burn before completely discharged.

Keep in mind, even on my gens at a full charge, you can see it for a few minutes in average room light before it starts to fade off, but these lumes are really only designed for use in pitch-black environments (upper atmosphere at night for pilot's watches, deep sea darkness for divers, etc.). You have to be in complete darkness, with your eyes totally adjusted to the dark in order to actually see the "true" lasting effects of the lume's staying-power. If there's even enough ambient light in the room for your eyes to be able to recognize different objects and make your way around without bumping into things, there's too much light and any lume is going to appear half dead after only a few minutes, gen or not. The reason why most rep's lumes are so dull is because the factory is using more varnish and less lume powder (primarily because of theft--a lot of lumes are worth as much, if not more, pound for pound as gold). Therefor, the manufactures are really goign to skimp on it in order to deter theft and also get the biggest return on their investment.

The color's end-result reflected in the photograph all depend on a number of variables--the type of ambient light when shooting (incandescent, florescent, natural, tungsten, etc.), the length of the shutter/exposure, the aperture setting on the lens, how long the lume was charged, how long it's been since it was charged, etc. Sort of the same way your skin can appear completely different hues when shot with a flash, without a flash, inside, outside, etc.

Here's the most accurate-to-life comparison:

IMG_1272.jpg

3283562401_4708f395d9_b.jpg

The only reason this gen shot appears to glow more is because the crown has been pulled out to stop the second hand--you can get a longer, brighter exposure with more depth of field, and trick the viewer by not being able to see the length of exposure by the blurred second hand (if the second had wasn't stopped, and this was a ten second exposure, you would see the second hand's glow, blurred and streaked in the photo over the markers on the dial, telling you how long the exposure was):

4-8.jpg

As you can see in the above pic, the exposure for that shot was 15 seconds long (notice the second hand). My exposure was only 1/8 of a second, which is why, even though my movement is running at 28,800 BPH, the second isn't distorted by the blur of its movement.

Side by side, this lume is a perfect match to the gen.

Edited by gioarmani

Nice work Gio

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL I panicked when I got mine, when I noticed I could not see ***any*** ROLEXROLEXROLEX etc engraving onside the rehaut but then I noticed that the crystal is SOOO THICK you can only see it one or two letters at a time due to distortion, but it IS there. I came back in here, and noted that you removed your DSSD crystal for the photos you have posted, and that is what startled me .. you can barely see the engraving with the real crystal in there.

Great post Gio, i have been wearing a DSSD the past few days that i picked upo from Stephane, and you all know i am not a rolly fan but i do like this one!

And this new version looks very nice

Great work on the reluming

Great post Gio, i have been wearing a DSSD the past few days that i picked upo from Stephane, and you all know i am not a rolly fan but i do like this one!

Lol.

Thank you; too kind, too kind.

Thank you; too kind, too kind.