When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Watch Prob

ToothDoc

I was at work today and my tag link chrono started making a funny noise. When i would shake a little before you could feel and hear it winding now it sounds as if somthing is bouncing off of the case back. it makes a klinking noise as if something is loose and bouncing around back there. I have never opened up a rep before and was wondering what this may be. So far the watch hasnt died yet but i am worried that it isnt winding cause it doesnt make the winding noise or vibrate on my wrist any more. any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this a quick fix if i pop the case back or do i need to find a watchsmith to do the work. thanks in advance

Dustin

Thanks guys for the info. the watch is still working (and still losing a second or two per hour) but i dont know if it is running on the power reserve or not. i will pop the back and check it out when i get off of work and take a look inside. i dont have the tools here to get the caseback off. by the way if i dont have a case back remover what is the next best thing so i dont scratch the hell out of the caseback? any suggestions? any way i hope its not the thingamagig or the whatsamacallit that is off. thanks for the help again.

Dustin

If you don't have a tool, take a piece of duct tape and wad it up, press down on the caseback and turn counter clockwise. If the caseback isn't screwed down too tightly, it should turn and then you can get it off.

Just reverse the process to put it back on, remembering that it won't be too tight and you may have to get it tightened later.

Don't know where you are located but most larger cities in the US should have a Harbor Freight. They sell Jaxa style case openers which are good for pretty much any watch except Rollies. The rubber glove trick usually works if the gasket isn't pinched or if it hasn't been clamped down since its original purchase.

I've found that most rep case backs are surprisingly loose from the factory.

Good luck!

Jon :victory: