When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why on earth are PAMs so hard to replicate?

nnomad

Hello once again (And by the way..you people make me come back here more often each time... that takes talent)...its my 2nd month here (where is my cake??..) and still being like a 15 year old that lost his virginity 2 months ago....a very fair question pops in:

PAM's are as simple as simplicity can be...with a hudge personality...nevertheless..S I M P L E ..(thats what makes them so magic i guess)... having in mind that a lot more complex watches with strange cases, insane ingravings, colors, shapes, etc etc..are a much more image of the real thing when they come out of the box.......why cant you find a single ultimate pam out of the box??....cause..face it guys..its damn scary to hear you talk about PAMS!!! " oh... i finally ended up my project, zigngiophdjgef case back, small cannon pin fix on the north paul by grummy the wild seal, virgin venus reflexion single AR performed by the all mighty venusesssreflexion, hands made by god himself" ..............ufffffffffffffffffff :bangin: i would probably finish more easilly a jet engine than a PAM...so..... CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME WHY THE HELL ALL "OUT OF THE BOX" PAMS ARE A VERY DIRECT INSULT TO HUMAN INTELIGENCE????...................(or the lack of it)

beats me.................................

cheers

A.

I think we've all wondered about this at one time or another and the subject has been beaten to death. I too wish I could know the reason, but I doubt that we ever will. It's just one of those things you just have to stop fighting or it'll give you stress and turn your hair white. LOL

Because that's just the way it is....

If and only if you could impart your technical skills, CAD knowledge, accurate 1:1 drawings to the China factories (provided you know where they are located) and allow them to devour your undying love and attention of Panerais, then perhaps there's a sparkle that could bring hundreds, if not thousands of us into the elevated world of perfection --- still what if the end result isn't perfect? Will your affluence be put to waste? Will you feel that your efforts will prevail? How much would you charge for a PAM 111H (50% cheaper than LH ? ) --- will that day ever arrive?

Questions begets more questions, therein simplicity lies complexity. What is your notion of perfection?

Try this: Buy a Genuine Panerai, locate a brilliant engineer, request for him to reverse engineer the whole watch for you. Ask him how much will it cost you. Factor that into your production and assembly line, let us know. Delight us! I would like to taste the sweetest perfection right about now.

As a new Pam enthusiast, I can relate.

There was a similar post elsewhere where everything from "conspiracy theories" between rep makers and the brands, to the fact we are 1% of the people who "care" was postulated. Most people settle for the Canal Street or Chinese street vendors, so we are a secondary market.

The same applies to Rolex. Why don't we have a 14060 flawless submariner. It should be the easiest of ALL subs to replicate.

A closed case-back, no-date, no-seconds hand PAM should be super easy. Heck with a closed case back and no seconds hand, you could probably get away with a quartz movement-- as long as everything visual was perfect-- I'd buy.

If they were perfect, what fun would it be learning, and doing mods. ;)

Try this: Buy a Genuine Panerai, locate a brilliant engineer, request for him to reverse engineer the whole watch for you. Ask him how much will it cost you. Factor that into your production and assembly line, let us know. Delight us! I would like to taste the sweetest perfection right about now.

No no no no no no.... perfection is not the debate here!..at all..that would ruin our hobbie!..i do understand that part..what im saying is... if a pam is replicated out of the box, maybe you'll have 80% accuracy ( on a visually simple watch..or maybe thats the answer..the lack of complications makes you focus even more on very very small details..migh be...)...then you have weird things like all mighty god complicated reversed engeniered 10 times, AP's or HUBLOT and you have a 95% accuracy out of the box.. Thats my question..thats where my "WHY" is located...

confusing...

/\

||

||

||

i was about to make this same point :D (about the "fun" aspect of modding, waiting and then selling it to start a new one)

although it is marginally entertaining to attempt the modding , but i'd much rather just buy a 99.5% correct out of the box rep myself.

Where is the fun in that.....

It's the modding that makes it fun

The vision...

the search for the parts

the expert assembly

the waiting and anticipation

the arrival :wub:

Then you sell it and start a new project ;)

There you go!..that is a great answer..:) so indeed its a conspiracy ...you would actually have kill the person that dares to make the perfect pam on a commercial replica level!!!!... you naughty people!... :D

A.

/\

||

||

||

i was about to make this same point :D (about the "fun" aspect of modding, waiting and then selling it to start a new one)

although it is fun, but i'd much rather just buy a 99.5% correct out of the box rep myself.

Volvo and Samuel L. dont glue.........its like having pulp fiction on the disney channel.........weird....

Well, if you have a product that you can sell, that even if not 100% perfect, people will still buy it in droves, that's the chinese reckoning,

why bust their ass if the customer doesnt demand more (or if he demands more but still buys the current product),

the customer will be very happy when you make one change to get it closer to the original and previous buyers will buy the same model again for the 'update'

Beggers me why. Pams seem to cost a stupid amount of money. 600 bucks for a mill finish CG? WHY?

There are more $1500 Pams out there than the rest of the brands put together. When T4D put his 028 on i-offer he sold 60 of 'em in a cpl of days at 800 each. Those are now appearing arround the traps for resale at 12 to 15 hundred and being snaped up. I just don't understand it myself. Pam folk just like spending money I guess :)

Col.

The vision...

the search for the parts

the expert assembly

Absolutely well put, mate... Except for me, i tend to keep 'em. ;)

Also, it's not that the factories cannot make 'em perfect... They refuse to, for reasons unknown to anyone (cue Twilight Zone theme music)...

.....Oh and same for the rollie factories too... :animal_rooster:

haahhaa D...........

you say all your points that makes fun....???????????????????

waiting............??????????????????

i hate to wait..........hahahaa.........

rolli

The vision...

the search for the parts

the expert assembly

If all reps were perfect none of us would have ever existed nor our forums.

Positive thinking, creativity, joy of communication, passion for perfection, are some of the qualities that transformed the ugly early world of cheap fake watches to a mature world of craftsmanship and acknowledgment.

If everything was perfect there wouldn't be any space for man :rolleyes:

The short answer: because making watches is hard.

The long answer: The chinese have been getting most PAM reps about 98% right for some time now. The things that they're not getting right, they're not getting right for two reasons:

1)Some things are too expensive for watches that retail for $400--high quality sandwich cyclopses intalled between two sapphire crystals, 7750 GMT's that set like OEM, perfectly decorated, CDG bridges are three examples.

2) Some of the flaws that drive us crazy just don't meet the threshhold of thing's they'll fix (the "A"'s, 100% accurate caseback numbering, and CG pin finish, etc.

As someone said above. this is why we mod.