When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a Noob or a Euromariner?

Babo

Well, I just ran a couple of split-screens comparing the pics I took to some Euromariner pics, and it appears to be an authentic Euromariner. :p

It's interesting to me that macro pictures really highlight some features that I cant see with the naked eye. It's tough being a noob. :rolleyes:

A euromariner is in no way related to a noobmariner except that it uses a noob dial! The watch pictured looks like a euro (with a bad pearl!). Check the serial number between the lugs- F520117 is the old noob, Mxxx117 is the new M serial noob with the engraved rehaut. The crown and tube look better, closer copy to the gen, but the SN is the true test, short of taking the bezel off. The euro bezel is a copy of the gen, noob bezel is very difficult to remove at best, w/o damaging it.

A euromariner is in no way related to a noobmariner except that it uses a noob dial! The watch pictured looks like a euro (with a bad pearl!). Check the serial number between the lugs- F520117 is the old noob, Mxxx117 is the new M serial noob with the engraved rehaut. The crown and tube look better, closer copy to the gen, but the SN is the true test, short of taking the bezel off. The euro bezel is a copy of the gen, noob bezel is very difficult to remove at best, w/o damaging it.

Thanks alligoat.

My serial no. is F520117. :o

The rehaut is not engraved. Is it possible that this is the Euromariner 2007 case with a noob serial number?

Something else...the F520117 case uses a screwball crystal made somewhat like genuine except the dimensions are off and a replacement is more or less impossible to find.

I have been looking for a crystal for mine for a year.

If the Euromariner uses a genuine spec crystal you will be a lot better off if you ever need a crystal.

The rehaut is not engraved. Is it possible that this is the Euromariner 2007 case with a noob serial number?

No, a Euro is a different case, basically an MBW case, takes gen crystal, and bezel parts. The Euro is definitely a step above the noob in quality. The good news is that it looks like your noob has the updated crown and tube, which is a copy of the gen assembly, fatter tube and inside of crown is thinner like gen.

@ automatico, I thought the noob crystal was 30.5mm and basically the same as a lot of other rep crystals- just wouldn't work on a gen, or you couldn't swap it for a gen.

No, a Euro is a different case, basically an MBW case, takes gen crystal, and bezel parts. The Euro is definitely a step above the noob in quality. The good news is that it looks like your noob has the updated crown and tube, which is a copy of the gen assembly, fatter tube and inside of crown is thinner like gen.

@ automatico, I thought the noob crystal was 30.5mm and basically the same as a lot of other rep crystals- just wouldn't work on a gen, or you couldn't swap it for a gen.

Interesting reading, thanks for correcting my mistake :) I thought that Eurotimez was selling Noobmariners. Thanks again :)

Should I post a link to the watch that I bought? Would that help identify it beyond what alligoat has provided?

I thought I was buying a Euromariner (but I don't really know what I'm doing). I even emailed the vendor after I placed the order to verify if it was indeed the Euromariner: the response was "yes it is".

In fairness to the vendor, the communications and delivery time etc exceeded my expectations. I would buy from him again.

Edited by Babo

Price is the key here.

Noobs run from just over $100 w/ asian 21j movt to $250-300 w/ so-called swiss eta (asian eta is 50 dollars less or so)

Euromariners run high $200's for asian movt and $475 plus for swiss eta.

Right.

The price was $ 250.00 for a copy eta. It also included the vendor's QC prior to shipment.

"...I thought the noob crystal was 30.5mm and basically the same as a lot of other rep crystals- just wouldn't work on a gen, or you couldn't swap it for a gen."

The F520117 crystal is 30.45mm wide at the top and 29.0mm wide at the base by 2.0mm thick.

A genuine sub/dj crystal is 30.4mm wide at the top and 29.45mm at the base by 2.0mm thick.

You have to use a crystal with the top bigger than the base like the noob and genuine because if you use a straight side crystal, there will be too much space between the crystal and bezel insert.

I'm scroooed. :(

Sorry to disagree guys, but everything about that is noob. Especially the standard noob crown tube which would not accept a gen crown.

Here is a euromariner tube. You can see how much wider it is.

eurotimez also has a nice comparison between the two. This would be a nice brush up.

;)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Euromariner-t806...hat+euromariner

Stem.jpg

v2euromariner.jpg

V2 euromariner tube and crown.

:)

Edited by cht

Sorry to disagree guys, but everything about that is noob. Especially the standard noob crown tube which would not accept a gen crown.

Here is a euromariner tube. You can see how much wider it is.

eurotimez also has a nice comparison between the two. This would be a nice brush up.

;)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Euromariner-t806...hat+euromariner

v2euromariner.jpg

V2 euromariner tube and crown.

:)

Should I [censored] about it or should I just move-on? I would have paid more for a "gen Euromariner" if that was the issue.

I'm not certain what the protocol is in dealing with respected vendo; ,but I'm not really willing to wait an extended time to resolve the issue.

Bottom line is that even though I didn't get what I though I was ordering, I have a pretty fine watch, and at a reasonable price...

What would you do?

Should I [censored] about it or should I just move-on? I would have paid more for a "gen Euromariner" if that was the issue.

I'm not certain what the protocol is in dealing with respected vendo; ,but I'm not really willing to wait an extended time to resolve the issue.

Bottom line is that even though I didn't get what I though I was ordering, I have a pretty fine watch, and at a reasonable price...

What would you do?

What I would do would depend on how much I paid for it and what movement is in it.

You paid $250 for a $169 watch.

I would be [censored].

Who did you buy it from?

A nice and easy tell that it is a noob is the huge rolex crown on the glass. The euromariner's use a clark's crystal that has no such engraving.

Look at the font on the bezel insert on yours compared to the euro...Those numbers are fatter than Rosie O'Donnell's fingers.

Also look at how narrow the teeth on the coin bezel are on the noob compared to the euro.

Then look at a gen.

I would not be happy.

Edited by cht