When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help identify this crown please

yachtmaster

Hey guys, Im almost done finishing up my franken 1680, So far I have

gen dial

gen bezel insert

gen 127 top hat crystal

gen tube

gen crown?

gen 93150 bracelet

gen end links

gen spring bars

gen NOS tritium 1570 hands

Yuki 1680 case/caseback...movement drops right in.

I just need the 1570 movement to complete it.

But im not sure if this is the right crown for a 1680, can someone help identify this crown please.

post-6598-1242425519_thumb.jpg

post-6598-1242425526_thumb.jpg

There are two trip lock crowns for the 1680 Submariner. The original 24-702-0 and the later 24-703-0. The first came originally on subs from the 70's til around 1980. At that point, Rolex went to the 24-703-0 crown (the last-0 denotes stainless steel). The 24-703 crown is basically an upgrade or service replacement for the 1680 and is used by Rolex when servicing old 1680's. It is of course standard on later 16800, 168000 and 16610 subs.

So the big question is which case tube do you have since the 702 crown and the 703 crown aren't interchangeable. If you have a 702 crown and tube, you're good to go. Or likewise a 703 crown and tube. So if you crown fits the case tube, you're OK. But, I'm not sure if your crown is gen in the first place, the crown logo looks pretty suspect, IMO. If it doesn't fit your case tube, I'd keep looking for a gen crown. Clark's and Helfands sell aftermarket case tubes- the 24-7030-0 part #. Gen case tubes and crown can be found on the bay for around $50 each. Finding 24-7020 case tubes is tough, so in your case, I'd recommend the 24-703 assembly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rolex-16610-Su...1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy has what looks to be a 24-703 crown, but I make no guarantees- the guy is a little flaky IMO. But Suissetime also has a bunch of crowns but they use the same picture of a broken crown w/o the stem sleeve- it's a jungle out there.

This guy in Israel has what you're looking for, but his price is ridiculous:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Rolex-Daytona-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck, hope this helps.

Wow this is awesome information. Thank you!!!

I think my case tube is gen 703 but Im not sure either. It does have a o rubber gasket around the tube and I also used to have clarks 703-0 tubes and this crown fit. This crown fits my gen tube and screws in no problem, so is this not gen?

Heres are some pics of my project. The bracelet is a gen vintage 93150 on a gen 580 endlinks..fits perfectly but the lugs are about 1mm to wide. Atleast the gen spring bars are a perfect fit for the lug holes.

post-6598-1242628421_thumb.jpg

post-6598-1242628487_thumb.jpg

post-6598-1242628465_thumb.jpg

post-6598-1242628539_thumb.jpg

post-6598-1242628572_thumb.jpg

Copies of the gen 24-703 crown have been around for about a year now (heck, maybe longer for all I know- it's hard to tell on a lot of this stuff). But if your crown fits your 703 case tube, I'd figure you're good to go. BTW, one of the big differences between the 702 case tube and the 703 case tube is the presence of the outside o-ring- the 702 assembly doesn't have it. It's still considered trip-lock because it has two gaskets inside the case tube and one at the base of the crown.

Your end links look fine- about par for the course on the older models. It look like you're going to have a very nice 1680 when you're done. Congrats!

Copies of the gen 24-703 crown have been around for about a year now (heck, maybe longer for all I know- it's hard to tell on a lot of this stuff). But if your crown fits your 703 case tube, I'd figure you're good to go. BTW, one of the big differences between the 702 case tube and the 703 case tube is the presence of the outside o-ring- the 702 assembly doesn't have it. It's still considered trip-lock because it has two gaskets inside the case tube and one at the base of the crown.

Your end links look fine- about par for the course on the older models. It look like you're going to have a very nice 1680 when you're done. Congrats!

Thanks again for repling.

Not sure if this helps but heres a shot of my casetube.

post-6598-1242678997_thumb.jpg

It's the modern 703 you have there, so it is not really correct for an old 1680! But you can find some gens with the 703 new style coronet.

This would be the good one:

fab56577.jpg

And the "over the top" for a 1680 would be this twinlock 702 crown (this was my crown, I've sold it on ebay for around 300,-€ :shocking: , now I know it was a mistake!), they are going up to 500,-€ in NOS condition:

5eaea2c6.jpg

EDIT: HERE is only the crown without tube on the bay for sale... ;)

It is a 703 tube. I installed it and I can guarantee 99% that it is gen. I bought it with another from a supply house. 1 was loose, 1 was sealed, and both in the same storage bin. The 1% I can't guarantee is because it was not sealed. If you have any doubts about the tube and want to change it out, I'll gladly take that one back. ;)

A 702 would be ideal, but any 1680 that has been serviced by RSC would have the crown and tube replaced with the 703, so no worries having a modern tube in your case.

Looks like you're off to great start YM! Looks like a 7030 crown. 7020 tubes are very hard to find or cost a left nut when you do get a line on one.

I'll be eager to see your finished project. Keep us posted.

A 702 would be ideal, but any 1680 that has been serviced by RSC would have the crown and tube replaced with the 703, so no worries having a modern tube in your case.

True, but with this crown - not the modern! (it's the 24-703-0, sure, but with the vintage coronet!)

fab56577.jpg

At least here in Germany by Rolex Cologne! Don't know about USA...

OK, I'm seeing it now. The pic that Omega has is of the earlier 24-703 crown with the vintage coronet- it's taller and thinner. YM's 24-703 crown is the later one- shorter and fatter, so to speak. All three of my gen subs (1-1680, 2-16800's) have the vintage 24-703 crowns. My reps with the gen crown and tube mod have the later 24-703 crowns- shorter and fatter.

A year and a half ago I had to update the crown and tube on my 1680. The threads on the crown holding the stem had stripped out. My watchmaker put in the 24-703 assembly. Since then I picked up a 24-702 crown and could put the 24-702 assembly back in there, but for now i'm happy with the 24-703 assembly.

One of our members is working on building a 24-7020 case tube- keep your fingers crossed, if it works, it will be very cool.

True, but with this crown - not the modern! (it's the 24-703-0, sure, but with the vintage coronet!)

oh, I understand now. you are talking about the crown, not the tube. Yes, the older style with the 3 dots closer to bottom of coronet. Not easy to find, at least for me anyway.

It is a 703 tube. I installed it and I can guarantee 99% that it is gen. I bought it with another from a supply house. 1 was loose, 1 was sealed, and both in the same storage bin. The 1% I can't guarantee is because it was not sealed. If you have any doubts about the tube and want to change it out, I'll gladly take that one back. ;)

Oh no, I was never questioning about the Tube...just my crown. I took a picture of the tube because I wanted to know if it was okay with my current crown.

I love the tube, its perfect. Thanks!