When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How come still no perfect REPs around?

kramerica2

I simply can't find the reason why not one factory has managed to make an acurate REP by now.

We all know the inaccuracies of the UPO and the 42mm POs, and even as a noob I can now spot a fake straight away.

I know the reason can't be financial, 95% of those inaccuracies won't cost a penny to fix, and the remaining 5% (mainly the Saphire AR crystal) would return the cost with huge interest easily.

The first dealer that would offer a perfect copy, even with a mediocre build quality, would sell hundrends of watches immediately, so the profit would be fast and easy.

What am I missing here?

How do we know that many of the used watches on the market are not 100% 1:1 reps ?

They have the ability and technology to do so. If one person can produce an item then somebody else with as much skill can do the same.

Keep the slightly flawed reps as the usual bread and butter items.

Check out the 40mm Omega speedmaster date, 7750 based chrono. It's a sleeper super rep...

I'm refering to the POs. I didn't look into other models, but heared that the simpler models like railmaster and others are better REPed.

Well. First they have no motivation to fix things that can't be seen without a loupe. Second, the rep forums are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. A few guys running around looking for the perfect Sub are not high on their priority list. :p

I wasn't talking about the things you need a loupe to see, but the things that you can spot from a distance, and were never fixed for some reason: The logo, the pearl location, the markers' font, etc... I've seen Reps that fixed one of the major flaws, but never seen one that fixed all of them.

How do we know that many of the used watches on the market are not 100% 1:1 reps ?

They have the ability and technology to do so. If one person can produce an item then somebody else with as much skill can do the same.

Because eventually, some of them would've surface as a good REP, and sell at these forums.

forget about that "conspiracy theory"!

1:1 reps simply dont exist, theres no way u can take a rep into an AD and fool them, it has never happened before, unless the employees there are stupid enough

a rep would never pass an expert as a gen

forget about that "conspiracy theory"!

1:1 reps simply dont exist, theres no way u can take a rep into an AD and fool them, it has never happened before, unless the employees there are stupid enough

a rep would never pass an expert as a gen

+1

We (the forum) should all go to China and show them what to do ;) Take over the factorys and shape them up a bit!

Tell them they could make tons more money with pure super reps.

Just a note I'd like to add, after actually recieving my first REP (42 PO). The photos that members upload showing the flaws are zoomed in so closely that it seems from the photos that those flaws are spotted right away. In real life, unless someone straps the watch off my wrist and checking it very closely, there is almost no way for him to notice those flaws...

Just a note I'd like to add, after actually recieving my first REP (42 PO). The photos that members upload showing the flaws are zoomed in so closely that it seems from the photos that those flaws are spotted right away. In real life, unless someone straps the watch off my wrist and checking it very closely, there is almost no way for him to notice those flaws...

Exactly. These macro pictures exaggerate the flaws greatly. And truth be told, nobody outside of the rep community knows what the flaws are with the POSSIBLE exception of an authorized distributor. The people working at the last couple of AD's I visited wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My UPO is as good as it gets IMO for Omega replicas.

A few thoughts on your original post...

I have been into reps for several years now, and I think you're overestimating you're ability to spot a rep. At least not the decent reps on these boards. I've owned nearly every make - Rolex, Breitling, numerous Omegas, IWC, did all the research and looked at every photo of gen vs rep, compared them directly in the stores. It is still relatively difficult to immediately spot the better reps without having the person take it off and really inspecting it. I just saw a 50th anniversary submariner but I couldn't tell if it was real, and I got a decent look at it. And a the original batches of UPO's?! You basically need to look at the Omega logo up close to differentiate the rep.

The second thing, I think it's somewhat overlooked at how difficult reverse-engineering a complex, highly crafted piece of machinery/jewelry is. I think they do a very good job with the reps well known on the boards. That said, you're right about small things like screws in the Seamaster bracelets, and for that matter the damn UPO logo. But overall, we're really lucky we have them at all and aren't busted for wearing them (in the US at least).