When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FAO: Rolex Experts --- Is this DRSD dial worth it?

Pre V

265132687_o.jpg

Off the bay at USD $ 145.

Am onto a 1665 project and besides NDTrading, am in the market for a DRSD dials.....

I can spot some flaws on this dial but yet would like your opinions. --- Ubi, Freddy, Lani, Mezz....

Been reading the past few threads from the yesteryears on the perfectionary roads with this DRSD. Of course, many discussions have been laid out with regards to the "Reds" family.

In your opinion, would you drop money on this dial or stick with an MBW dial?

The distancing between the SEA DWELLER, SUBMARINER 2000 and 2000 ft = 660m is too obvious to the point that it's thrown off the symmetrics balance.

Other than the 7mm trilock crown, 1570 cal movement, what other mods would you recommend?

Appreciate your input as this is my first Rollie Frankenizing Project. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Pre V

No, not in my opinion. They have those for sale all the time there and the quality of the painting is terrible- at least as far as I'm concerned.

Then can you recommend from where a good reasonable DRSD can be found?

Perhaps you can show what you have on your wtach that worths the bucks.

Thanks.

RolexDial1665DRSD.jpg

Also:

1655-5.jpg

and...

IMG_4154-1.jpg

Take a look at the crown and the huge difference there, where the < lines up over the hour marker (actually, I just realized this varies on the NDT version also), how ROLEX lines up over PERPETUAL......... not only that, but the auction shows the same photos for the refinished dials so there's really no way of knowing what you're going to get- chances are though that they're using the best finished dial they have. :) OK, the more I look at the link Stephane gave, there are a number of variations in the quality of the dial over the years. Ack, I learned something new today and I'm not afraid to admit it! :p

Unless you get lucky & find a 1-off run from some independent seller, the NDtrading dial is about as good as you will find.

But keep in mind that the small handful of people who will know (or be able to appreciate) the difference between a double red & a double Martini are the same people who will know the difference between a gen dial & all the aftermarket or a so-called 'repainted' dials.

In no way do I consider myself an expert in Rolex... still a Journeyman ,... and learning from Ubi and others here..

but imo.. a replicated dial is just that .. a replication.. some better than others.

furthermore, there are not many genuine owners that know their brands.

but for the DRSD.. and other vintage subs .. some of the owners are very versed in the tech aspect of the piece, but I doubt you will find these watches on their wrists. With the value of these timepieces they are locked away.. a friends of mine has his in his home vault .. it is pristine. but even he dosen't know much about it.. (really).. he's not into the techncal details as Ubi, Freddy, JoJo.. and Laz (there are others here .. sorry If I did not name them).

he bought it for investment purposes..

My point is you could get a very good dial as a replica.. it will still be a replica... although a very good one..

I have an ND dial.. someday I hope to source the genuine movement and build another DRSD ... until then I am happy with my MBW.. modded by the ZM here..

I would never attempt to pass my DSSD off as a genuine.. I simply say it is a tribute to the DRSD... although I have only been asked once and by someone who has no clue to watches.

and as Stephane and freddy pointed out in different ways ... there are so many variations to the dial (coronet) etc. .. (like the 1655).. that you could really go all out on the ND dial.. etc. and in the end ..... it is what it is B)

so whatever you decide. .. think about financing and enjoyment... I really enjoy my MBK.. for a lot less than NDT.

aloha

Lani

In no way do I consider myself an expert in Rolex... still a Journeyman ,... and learning from Ubi and others here..

but imo.. a replicated dial is just that .. a replication.. some better than others.

furthermore, there are not many genuine owners that know their brands.

but for the DRSD.. and other vintage subs .. some of the owners are very versed in the tech aspect of the piece, but I doubt you will find these watches on their wrists. With the value of these timepieces they are locked away.. a friends of mine has his in his home vault .. it is pristine. but even he dosen't know much about it.. (really).. he's not into the techncal details as Ubi, Freddy, JoJo.. and Laz (there are others here .. sorry If I did not name them).

he bought it for investment purposes..

My point is you could get a very good dial as a replica.. it will still be a replica... although a very good one..

I have an ND dial.. someday I hope to source the genuine movement and build another DRSD ... until then I am happy with my MBW.. modded by the ZM here..

I would never attempt to pass my DSSD off as a genuine.. I simply say it is a tribute to the DRSD... although I have only been asked once and by someone who has no clue to watches.

and as Stephane and freddy pointed out in different ways ... there are so many variations to the dial (coronet) etc. .. (like the 1655).. that you could really go all out on the ND dial.. etc. and in the end ..... it is what it is B)

so whatever you decide. .. think about financing and enjoyment... I really enjoy my MBK.. for a lot less than NDT.

aloha

Lani

Well...Lani explained it much better than I did, and you are so right Lani. :yahoo:

Thanks Guys! Stephane....sorry I left you out of the list of Rolex experts. :)

I was reading through the previous discussions on the DRSD on RWG.

A replica will always be a replica, that's a fact on any Given Sunday. It's always a customary action for replicators to leave a distinctive "flaw" or 2 on their offerings, it's been like that all the while.

While the MBW DRSD dial isn't perfect, the thickness at the 6 and 9 o'clock position of the indices seem just about right, compared to NDTrading. Alongside with the thin crown on the NDTrading dial compared to the more accurate MBW dial.

That said, I have noticed some members prefer to stick to the MBW dial as from far, let's say a coffee table away or 2, the MBW dial does resemble more gen. However, upon closer inspection, the NDTrading dial's print is a better one, abeit the flaws stated above.

Rolexes are infamous for variations on their dials, up to today. Pick out any D or Z series Sea Dweller and for you sharp-eyed folks, you will be able to see the minute differences on the dial, especially on the fonts, distancing and at times, the crown too.

NDTrading is selling a DRSD dial with 1570 cal movement for a whopping USD $ 2250!! Crazy and tempted as I am, I reckon I will hold off this poisonous route for a bit.

The hunting game is the juice....let it flow, let it waterfall.... :)

That dial looks fine enough for a rep. Trust me, there are lots of other things about your rep that will give it away in a heartbeat to anyone who knows what they're looking at.

I say put the watch together and enjoy it. Either that, or find forty large and buy a gen :)

JJ

That dial looks fine enough for a rep. Trust me, there are lots of other things about your rep that will give it away in a heartbeat to anyone who knows what they're looking at.

I say put the watch together and enjoy it. Either that, or find forty large and buy a gen :)

JJ

Well said JJ... that's what I did .. albeit a fantastic modder worked on my MBK dial... :D

Pre V Posted Yesterday, 08:50 PM

NDTrading is selling a DRSD dial with 1570 cal movement for a whopping USD $ 2250!! Crazy and tempted as I am, I reckon I will hold off this poisonous route for a bit.

I did pay a little less than that for my Tudor 7032 after admiring TMG's for so long.. but that is because of the original movement and the dial that no one else offers.. and genuine crystal .. I gave in to the awesome temptation.. :p

A~C

Lani