When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommendations for dive watch

scotty

Summer is comming....

Living by the Med. sea, my son and I go snorkeling summertime. Plan is later he does diving courses and then we can do more interesting stuff together....some reasonably good dive locations around here. Not Red Sea or Maldives standards, but it's not an abandoned quarry in the UK either :D

My son is 10. Biggish for his age.

He's after an all purpose watch for the summer. And he has his eye on my Gen Seamaster.....no chance....

So to avoid problems I thought of getting him something.

I don't like plastic Swatches, and wanted something fun but with good basics, so it'll last more than one summer.

* high water resistance (so rated as 200m minimum)

* saphire crystal, or good hardened alternative

* rubber strap

* beach/diving style

* Good lume (he loves lumy watches......like his Dad).

He'd like chrono as well, but I think not necessary. If it can be had - all the better ....

Searching around I've looked at Citizen's, Festinas and the like. Swiss Army, Hamiltons (bit too expensive) and Seiko.

Was thinking of the Seiko SKXA35

post-3909-1242991040_thumb.jpg

Good water resistance, rubber strap, hardened glass, auto, good lume, and yellow dial so not too serious like a black face.

BUT - it's like 43mm x 15mm (probably huge for him).

Anyone got any views or other ideas??

Thanx all

Hands down, Seiko Orange Monster or Black Monster. Amazing lume, water restistant to beat hell and tough as nails.

Cheers....

Don't think those are available now in Spain, but more importantly they're bigger still .....

He's only 10 and my SMP looks big on him......

Like the Orange Monster for myself :rolleyes:

More opinions - I want to build a list for him to look at.....

Thought about Zodiac also, but crown is usually just pull out and water resistance usually 100m (so nothing really)

Hi.

I'm working on a ship in the North Sea and I see that a few of the divers have Seikos. The Captain has one thats atleast 10 years old and the bezel is so worn down that there is a lot more than just the paint that is gone, it looks like its gone through hell and is still running like a champ.

I personally would go for a Seiko as long as you're not looking for a rep that someone here can recommend.

Scotty-

The Orange Monster should be available almost anywhere if you are inclined for yourself.

I agree with recommending a Seiko but in the interest of coming up with other brands, have you considered a Luminox or Traser. Traser is the name they carry in Europe, Luminox in the US. Same watch. They have tritum tubes in them, they don't glow insane bright like I expected but they are always at a constant "glow" level due to the tubes. The only downside is some of the entry ones are a plastic composite material.

I also have several Zodiac watches and some have screw down crowns, but I can't recommend the brand. They were bought out a few years back by the Fossil watch company and quality went downhill. I had one that broke in a week that they would not stand behind.

Thanks all.

The Seiko Orange Monster is available via internet here (Solo stocks and similar).

I quite like it on rubber for him, so will probably head round a few places and see what similar sized watches look like on his wrist.

Being a 10 year old he doesn't have an Arnie (or Laz) type wrist and forearm, so +40mm may look nuts.

But if he can get away with it, and if he likes orange, I reckn the Monster will be the choice to go with.....

The monster will look big I him. BUT he's only going to grow and the monster will be with him for many years. I have a citizens Eco diver ti chrono that is wr to 200m and has been with me through thick and thin for 10 years. It's 40mm but wears smaller. We have a seiko outlet store near me, i've seen <40mm divers there.

Good luck with the search. Make sure to post a wristie of your choice.

i knoww it'll be a little big on him...but he'll grow into it!!

Tissot Seastar 1000 (or 600) on rubber (44mm) (around 400$)

T19159351.jpg

just to let you know the tissot's lume is OK...not that great.

If you're gonna go seiko, then you cant get past SKX173 (43mm) (around 250$)

SKX173.jpg

and ofcourse the swiss army dive master 500m (500$)

sa_241263_sol_a03.jpg

Edited by astrograph

post-22-1243030652_thumb.jpg

Monster is the only way to go.

Easily accessible over the internet.

How about this beauty, a little Black AND Orange.

If you have concerns about wrist size there are many watchband

sites that offer aftermarket straps that have deployment clasps that could be

easily adjusted as the lad grows a bit.

The Monster will last a lifetime.

I strongly recommend the Swiss Army Victorinox Dive Master 500 Black Ice. I own the SS bracelet version, and I could testify it's solid as a rock. It's 500 m rated and the lume is great, even the bezel is partially lumed. The Victorinox's rubber strap is top notch, very thick.

I borough a couple of pics from WUS.

P1000919.JPG

DSCF2028.jpg

Gentlemen - thankyou all.

This just confirms again adn again what a great community we have here.

I LOVE the Swiss Army, and he's just had a look and said 'Cool' over the lume.

Some great ideas here, and I think we'll go for 40mm+ even though a little big immediately, but as people have said - he'll grow into it.

And better get a keeper.

Thanks all.

I'll post a wristie when we've got it sorted....

Guest hublot1

Without being sarcastic...Just get him an indigo glows in the dark feature will impress him. I mean at 10 do you REALLY need to wear a watch to go to the beach? Just my opinion

Edited by hublot1

Go for the G-Shock. Trendy and muti-functional. Water-proof, rubber strap.......

The blue backlight comes up when you turn your wrist to read the time surely is attractive enough for a 10 year old. And best of all you don't need any light charge to make it glow. It runs on battery.

@ hublot 1 - normally I'd agree, but actually many 10 years olds are wearing watches around here. Fashion thing. As as he likes snorkling, has come to appreciate my watches, and also wants to learn diving (we'll probably start next year) my idea is get him something to cover all requirements. Plus it'll be a present to remember father/son thing.....

He's 10, but in many ways a little older.

@ bertieng - I'd considered the G Shock, but wanted to steer clear of plastic. That said thanks for the idea, and I'll probably have a look again in the short list. Didn't think they were water proof rated to 200m though...Going to find their website now....

B)

PLEASE.. BUY HIM A DIVE COMPUTER..

Seriously you'll be doing him a huge favor and massively increasing his dive safety if you buy him a proper dive computer watch (or an air integrateed if you prefer). The increase in safety these give is huge compared to tables... and trust me he'll love it too.

There are plenty of Suunto's, Oceanic's and other brands for very reasonable cost. A lot of dive schools and boat operators require them down in this part of the world due to the safety.

It also means you won't have to rely on dodgy rental computers of unknown accuracy or history.

Hi Logan......

When he finishes a diving course he'll get the kit including a dive computer. Will give me an excuse to upgrade my old Aladin also...but that'll be in a couple of years time.

But he's 10, and this is for snorkeling and stuff for now.

Thanks for your concern though!

i'd also suggest... MAYBE its not a good idea to give him an expensive first dive watch... you never know, it could get stolen, or a group of ppl could jump him for the watch.. i dunno. So, i'd rather be safe and get hi a really nice seiko.... and wait for the swiss army after he finishes dive school or on his 14 or 15 birthday..

i'd also suggest... MAYBE its not a good idea to give him an expensive first dive watch... you never know, it could get stolen, or a group of ppl could jump him for the watch.. i dunno. So, i'd rather be safe and get hi a really nice seiko.... and wait for the swiss army after he finishes dive school or on his 14 or 15 birthday..

Hi - actually pretty close to my thinking after reflecting on this.

The Seiko's are pretty affordable and not a huge issue if something happens. All part of the learning process.....

Thanx