When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Tale Of A Frustrating Project... The Ever Elusive Vintage 1675...

ubiquitous

Whomever once said 'you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs first' must have also tried building their own GMT.

This has been one of my most frustrating projects to work on... Ever.

I started this project off by obtaining soem GMT parts for a 1675...

100945-26304.jpg

Simple enough...

But, the biggest problem, I suppose, must lie in the fact that there really is no decent basis to start with as far as cases go. The reps use the same case as the vintage 1680 Subs, and the opening for the dial is just too small for the 1675 dial- By about 2mm, which is really quite a lot when you're dealing with a dial.

So... I did what any insane person would do, and stripped apart a modern RLX rep, and started shaping it with the old Dremel. Unfortunately (for me), my trusty old Dremel took a dump on me and decided to say '[censored]it' and stopped working midway through (I was about to give up and say the same...). But, my loving and wonderful wife surprised me with a brand new dremel, so I continued on.

Here we are at a bit of a starting point... In these pics, I'm actually about 2 hours into grinding. The rehaut lip has to be reduced in both height and O.D. and I've started to take the CG's down

100945-26305.jpg

100945-26306.jpg

100945-26307.jpg

100945-26308.jpg

About 8 hours worth of work later, I start to get somewhere...

100945-26309.jpg

100945-26310.jpg

100945-26311.jpg

100945-26312.jpg

Unfortunately, that's where I am left at a stand still. There are problems with the crystal retaining ring fitting properly, thanks to the machined groove where the old click mechanism was contained. The retaining ring got bent during removal, and the crystal cracked, so new parts need to be ordered. Of course there are a number of other items that need to be addressed as well... But for now, I'll need to take a break from this one while I let my blood cool down from a boil (seeing ths one gets me all heated up, and angry... Heh heh).

More to come... Maybe...

:)

Best,

R

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...