When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you favor one particular watch?

phaedo

Unlike some here, I have not got a huge collection. However, even with the limited number of watches, I find the only one I usually wear is the BCE. Part of that is because of the work I do, and so only want one beat up watch, rather than a whole box of beat up ones. But even when I am not working, I find it is the one I usually wear, unless I sit down and wonder which watch I will wear out today/tonight. I guess part of it could be to do with not wanting the power reserve to die on the daily beater, necessitating adjuting it all the time, but it just seems to be the one I gravitate to most of the time.

Case in point: I had to get the bracelet resized on my UPO after a couple of pins worked their way lose while I was using a hedge trimmer with it (damn pins, they should use screws!) and also my DSN 113 needed the minute hand reattaching after being dropped. Got them back about 7 weks ago, and have not worn them since getting them back.

So I was wondering if others find they tend to wear the same watch most of the time, or grab one at random, or spend a lot of time choosing each day? When I do get a new watch, it tends to stay on the wrist for the first week or so since it is new, but I always end up back at the BCE.

Also, for those with bigger collections, do you tend to rotate more?

Edited by phaedo

Mostly just randomly... and I try to wear them all... so it means a new watch almost every day.

But when I have just purchased a new one, of course I tend to wear that more in the first two-three weeks.

I used to wear all in rotation, but am finding that my preference is starting to really gravitate to one or two watches at any given time.

The biggest driving factor behind that mindset is that several pieces in the collection need to be serviced; most notably the El Primero Daytonas and my vintage SM300. Then, there are some pieces that just aren't practical for daily life- My Breitling Blacksteel for example, mostly due to it's size. I always manage to kiss door frames with it, clock the kids upside the head on accident with it, etc. Just doesn't work well as a daily in my life, I suppose.

I've a small collection too (7 watches), but tend to wear Monday to Friday my PO and PAM196 at work, and my SMP at home......

For some work specifics the PAM 183 or 113, both under rotation and replacing usually the PO.

Least - ie weekends and out at night - the PAM 202 slytech crono, or PAM127 Fiddy. Just can't get away with them at work.

I used to try and wear them all in rotation - a different watch every day, but that's gradually changing and I'm tending towards wearing one particular watch for a week or more until I feel like a change. I've got 17 watches at present, but the only ones that seem to get wrist time these days are my PAMs and my Rolex DeepSea. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering selling off most of the others... Hell, the last watch I bought (about a month ago - a budget but very nice-looking gen from Astbury) hasn't even been worn yet! :rolleyes:

I used to try and wear them all in rotation - a different watch every day, but that's gradually changing and I'm tending towards wearing one particular watch for a week or more until I feel like a change. I've got 17 watches at present, but the only ones that seem to get wrist time these days are my PAMs and my Rolex DeepSea. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering selling off most of the others... Hell, the last watch I bought (about a month ago - a budget but very nice-looking gen from Astbury) hasn't even been worn yet! :rolleyes:

You haven't worn that Astbury yet? I don't think we can be friends any more. :p