When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did the Gen trade of a lifetime yesterday!

rscmaine

Stopped into a small jewelry store last week wearing my 16013 with 3 ct diamnd bezel and diamond dial and the jeweler went nuts over it - tested the diamonds and said "You know, this is a $20,000 watch..." (I had $2400 into is via various good deals and lucky finds - paid $1100 for the bezel)

DSCN0570.jpg

So I went back yesterday and played Monte Hall - "Let's make a deal..." I had my straw hat and cane with me for the tap dancing... :p

End result - we drove downtown in his Beemer to his watch guy and popped the case back to prove authenticity and bopped back to his store.

Traded the DJ for the watch on his wrist R serial TT Sub (aftermarket bracelet - swapped this morning for a nice blue curved end leather I just happened to have lying around - doesn't everybody) and a Z serial Black Sub with original papres dated Dec 25 2007 - worn for 6 months then pawned - sat for 18 months in a display case.

CIMG1583.jpg

CIMG1580.jpg

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg

Even my wife agreed that I had to do this deal! :rolleyes:

Nice work!

Somehow I doubt Mr Dealer frequents RWG. Even if he does, so what? It was a gen and he valued it at 20g so no doubt he will get somewhere round that for it.

They are stoping the TT blue dial? Why the hell would the fools do that????

Col.

I doubt that he would be surprised to know we had done the trade... ;)

I actually paused before I left the store and asked again " You're happy with this?" and he replied that he was. I allowed as how I too was pleased and the deal was done.

Beckertime has an identical 16013 (looks like a twin) for sale for $6299 on their Ebay store.

He paid $1,000 18 months ago in Pawn for the Black from some poor dumb bastard who needed cash and had worn the TT every day for 10 years on his own wrist - so his actual out of pocket was pretty low -

In terms of cash invested, (assuming I had paid Becker's price) it was pretty much a wash.

He had the Black one in a display case for $3500 for 18 months without selling - that gets old pretty fast for a brick and morter store owner.

Good trade for sure, but the dial on the TT sub looks a bit purple. May not be 100% gen? Hope it's just the lighting.

Model and serial numbers are engraved properly and I dismantled the bezel to clean it out - unless someone has faked the excruciatingly thin bezel washer and installed an 18kt bezel on a fake (tested) this one is real...and the Black one matches the paperwork.

I'd blame my zoom/crop/fill light/shadow edits in Picassa for the purple.

wow -- very nice trade indeed -- congrats :victory:

Model and serial numbers are engraved properly and I dismantled the bezel to clean it out - unless someone has faked the excruciatingly thin bezel washer and installed an 18kt bezel on a fake (tested) this one is real...and the Black one matches the paperwork.

i'm assuming when he popped the back on your DJ to guarantee the movement was genuine you had him pop the back on his two watches as well?

deltatahoe

Can you clarify:

you swapped one Rolex watch for two Rolex watches.

I assume your original watch was entirely Gen, how much did you pay for it originally?

Or was your original watch a 'Franken, ie made up of gen parts?

Good trade for you! :D

Why is it buyer beware?

It's a fun story, but a bit risky telling all on a public forum incase Mr. Jeweller cases watch forums. Won't he feel a little cheated? Or is it buyer beware!

Can you clarify:

you swapped one Rolex watch for two Rolex watches.

I assume your original watch was entirely Gen, how much did you pay for it originally?

Or was your original watch a 'Franken, ie made up of gen parts?

Here's the entire story - took about a year to do.

The base 16013 came from a long watch trade thread - beginning with an Omega triple date - going through a Doxa sharkhunter to an Omega smp to the trade which resulted in the datejust. Original $ into the first Omega was $1200

The dial came from Ebay and I paid $95 (Lucky - they go in the $399 range usually)

The bexel came from a porr guy who got fired from Lehman brothers and I paid $1,100 - 3 carat of that quality should cost more like $3,000 at the normal retail of $1,000/carat + I ended up paying the wholesale price of $300/carat according to a dealer friend.

Service and assembly cost me about $200 with shipping - so I hade what...about $2500 into the Datejust

I have owned two other Subs and a SD in the past and no, I didn't have the case backs popped on his two because

1) I was the one who initiated the deal. (and he hesitated a bit - I had to sell the idea for about 20 minutes)

2) The papers were authentic and matched the case.

3) The gold on the bezel tested 18kt

4) Even the end links on the Black's bracelet are properly engraved with the bracelet model number (inside the link facing the lug end if that makes sense- no fake has EVER done that)

5) The lume on the hands and the indices and pearl on the Black are all the same - very very good. Most fakes have at least one or two which are not.

6) Correct number of "tics" per second on the second hand and smooth as silk.

7) All fonts correct and crisp perfect printing

8) Tight 120 click bezels which line up perfectly with the dial at every position

9) Correct hand length - especially on the second hand - often too short on fakes

and finally

10) I have also owned a half a dozen fakes, and these ain't them The best "tell" for me is always winding and crown fit and both of these are as smooth as butter and the crowns both mesh like something NASA wished they had built into Hubble.

So...if I got "took" it was by the best pair of fakes ever made.

Here's some quick shots of the black one with papers - note crown guards, crown position, dial indices position, dial and bezel fonts, correct "typewriter" font on warranty papers - and the paper has the correct glossy bit and the unfakeable staple holes :D

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0003-9.jpg

Fingerprints and everything! :p

DSC_0007-7.jpg

DSC_0010-4.jpg

DSC_0012-4.jpg

And here's the whole family as of now -

DSC_0009-4.jpg

Stopped into a small jewelry store last week wearing my 16013 with 3 ct diamnd bezel and diamond dial and the jeweler went nuts over it - tested the diamonds and said "You know, this is a $20,000 watch..." (I had $2400 into is via various good deals and lucky finds - paid $1100 for the bezel)

DSCN0570.jpg

So I went back yesterday and played Monte Hall - "Let's make a deal..." I had my straw hat and cane with me for the tap dancing... :p

End result - we drove downtown in his Beemer to his watch guy and popped the case back to prove authenticity and bopped back to his store.

Traded the DJ for the watch on his wrist R serial TT Sub (aftermarket bracelet - swapped this morning for a nice blue curved end leather I just happened to have lying around - doesn't everybody) and a Z serial Black Sub with original papres dated Dec 25 2007 - worn for 6 months then pawned - sat for 18 months in a display case.

CIMG1583.jpg

CIMG1580.jpg

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg

Even my wife agreed that I had to do this deal! :rolleyes:

What an awesome deal :good:

I have to admit, I've never been over fond of the TT Subs (probably because I can't wear gold) but seeing this photo:

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg

I've got to say, Wow, that is one awesome watch :tu:

Congrats on such an awesome deal :drinks:

thanks for clarifying that, that must be 'bargain' of the year :D

out of curiosity how much could you have sold your original Rolex DJ for?

and how much are your Black Sub and TT Sub valued if you had to buy or sell them?

Your black sub is modern as it has no lug holes right?

Cheers

Here's some quick shots of the black one with papers - note crown guards, crown position, dial indices position, dial and bezel fonts, correct "typewriter" font on warranty papers - and the paper has the correct glossy bit and the unfakeable staple holes :D
Edited by P_Diddy