When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOSF advice

btn

I just joined this site 2 days ago and have been wading through all the information. I ended up here because I have been seriously considering a gen SOSF here in NYC for the past month(after wanting a Breitling for 15-20 years) but have just decided it doesn't make sense economically for me right now. I was happy to read that the rep SOSF are considered some of the best. However I just read that there are some problems with the newest one, specifically the wings. Is there anyway to avoid this problem? Is there a seller who has the best rep for this particular model or do they all sell the same one? Thanks in advance.

Take my advice. Educate yourself first. There is a lot of info here on the board.

The one you're referring to has an ETA clone.... you ask me, what's an ETA clone? Is it Swiss?

Nuff said ;)

Use the search function and read, than make your choise.

Take my advice. Educate yourself first. There is a lot of info here on the board.

The one you're referring to has an ETA clone.... you ask me, what's an ETA clone? Is it Swiss?

Nuff said ;)

Use the search function and read, than make your choise.

I am trying to educate myself, that's why I am asking these questions and that's why I did around 10 hours of searching and reading through posts before I even posted my question. Of course it's your choice whether you want to help with my education or whether you want to bust balls. Regardless thanks for your comment.

Since I am buying a rep I don't expect all, or even any, parts to be swiss. I do however want to buy the best rep possible, ie one that looks the closest to the gen and is reliable. Although his prices aren't the cheapest the seller seems to have a good reputation. However if you think I can get a better deal or there is a better rep out there, even if it is more money, kindly tell me and provide a link if possible. Thanks.

Rolexman was just saying that 10 hours might not be enough! :-) it's ok.. 10 hours might seem like alot, but don't go diving into anything. If you can imagine your question... then multiply it by about 1,000.. that's probably how many times it's been asked here. Guys like rolexman have been on the site for years and dedicated hours upon hours of info and knowledge... and it's here "eternally" they just don't like to repeat themselves. haha. In regards to your swiss questions many rep watches have swiss movements.. and some have swiss "clones".. others have straight up Asian movements that aren't really clones or copies of the real thing. The double AR on the watch your talking about might be worth it and might not.. many hardcore fans, prefer to get aftermarket AR as it's much better quality.. but that's a personal preference. in regards to waterproofing.... with any rep.. it's best never to take in water unless you A.) don't mind risking it getting broken B.) have taken it to a watchsmith to double check it's water resistance.

a few names to search for on the forum: silix-prime.com , puretime.com , timeshops.net, kingwatches.net, tt88time.com ... there will be a range of prices. and different models to choose from. Some with ETA swiss clone movements.. some with Asian 21jewel movements. Some with leather straps and some with brushed steel bracelets. the options are limitless. It's truly a great watch. I got mine from Jay at silix-prime:

IMG_1794.jpg

and as a general rule of thumb:

if the watch comes with an ss bracelet, order it with one...in most cases, dealers sell leather and rubber straps a la carte...but that's not always true of the ss bracelets...

i bought my steelfish with the ss bracelet and also a rep breitling brown leather deployment strap...i have since put it on the diver pro rubber...but still have the bracelet and leather for when the mood hits me for them...

R-

Thanks for the responses. I know 10 hours may not be enough, this place is seriously addictive and there's tons of information. It also seems that most people are happy with their SOSF's regardless of where they've gotten it.

As I mentioned I was considering a real one and spent close to 10 hours just last week at the US's biggest watch dealer, which just happens to be 2 blocks from my office in NYC. I didn't realize at the time how good reps had gotten. My only experience was with the Breitling I bought outside a go go bar in Bangkok 15 years ago. Both my friends, who were still inside the go go bar and wearing gen Breitlings, laughed at me when I returned with it. It took a comparison review I saw online this weekend to open my eyes to how far they've come.

I'm going to spend a couple more days doing research then I am going to take the plunge. And then I'm going to move on to research the next 2 or 3 I've seen on here that I am starting to lust after...

I think you have some great advice from these guys. I will just add that when you first get on this site it is like "a kid in a sweet shop". Everything looks amazing and you want 10 reps right now. The SFSO is a fantastic rep (if you get the ETA or ETA clone movement, AR etc) and it is fairly reliable BUT as with all reps you need to be aware the movements don't come serviced. Eventually they will need a service and that will take time and money and more importantly a rep friendly watchsmith who can work on asian movements. (if you now are looking at the Blackbird that has an Asian 7750 movement that is quite different from a gen Swiss Movement)

My advice to all Newbies is treat rep watch buying like gambling: Only buy what you can afford to loose!! If you have a spare $400 then buy one, wear it and enjoy it and see if it matches you expectations. Worst case you get the watch, don't like it and then put it back for sale on this forum and you might only loose $50 - $70. As I say it is a bit of a gamble until you really read into this huge subject and learn what is good and what is not. Good luck.

Rob

I don't think the SFSO was ever offered with a clone. There are 3 versions:

Swiss ETA + sapphire + AR

DG2813 + mineral + no AR

DG4813 + sapphire + AR

I'd choose the last option. Available here:

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=34410

As for the pics on josh site, I think the more holes in the reversing wheel is just not visible because of the angle.

It has a Novodiac shock absorb system, which seems to be the more curvy swiss version.

Greetz.

I agree with Yodap...check out both steelfish offering links (my post above and his)...same dealer; slightly different specs...these are the best bang for the buck fishes...

re: Blackbird --> i have this watch, too...it is a reallllly nice looking watch with one of the best brushed bracelets...and this watch would look equally as well on leather and/or rubber...butttttt - you need to be careful of the Bird -- it is very prone to having problems with the date adjustment feature of the crown...the gears become misaligned -- which doesn't effect the watch advancing on its own, but does effect how moving it forward via the crown...the fix is posted, as well, search "blackbird date adjustment" for a post with the fix link in it...the fix does require movement work - so you need to be able to do this or find someone who can...or live with manually moving the date forward by crown winding -- a real pain if you don't wear the watch all the time and the date is days away from the real date...

enjoy - R

I don't think the SFSO was ever offered with a clone. There are 3 versions:

Swiss ETA + sapphire + AR

DG2813 + mineral + no AR

DG4813 + sapphire + AR

I'd choose the last option. Available here:

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=34410

As for the pics on josh site, I think the more holes in the reversing wheel is just not visible because of the angle.

It has a Novodiac shock absorb system, which seems to be the more curvy swiss version.

Greetz.

-edit-

There are mainly 2 versions of the SOSF available (2 manufacturers):

Easily recognizable as the one with the 'squared box' second hand and the one with the arrow second hand, also referred to as Noobfish (there are other tell signs but I won't go in to that at the moment). The latter has sapphire, poor AR and an ETA clone or DG2813 movement. The first one has either the expensive Swiss ETA movement in combination with good double AR or an Asian DG2813 movement in combination with mineral crystal and no AR.

Well, where and when did I call myself an expert?

I'm hangin around here and other Breitling / rep sites, and I know quite much about Breitlings (models, mechanical movements and modability), and my statements are 99,9% of the times true.

I don't want to mess with you or anyone, I'm sorry if you feel like that.

I haven't seen that model with ETA clone till now, your post has confused me, "The one you're referring to has an ETA clone...." ,as he was referring to the swiss version.

I thought that you assumed that it's a clone because of the less gears in the reversing wheels, as I guess you also know a lot about movements.

Although I've been here for almost a year, I still have to learn, and I'll always have to.

Sorry once again if I hurt you, I didn't want to.

Best wishes: Johann

IMO The one in your link is a good bang for the buck and it get's my vote (edit: I mean THIS ONE). The case and bracelet are constructed very well, the dial and lume is superbe, has sapphire with mediocre AR and a clone ETA movement (which is nearly the same quality as the Swiss). The only two set backs are as mentioned the somewhat less AR and the etched 'b'on the side of the bezel instead of the stamped 'b' on the other version (hardly noticeable though). If one is really nit picking the missing serial numbers on the end lugs could also be mentioned. Both models have pro's and con's but if you way them against eachother I would prefer the one in your link. Or you could always buy them both and make a super rep by combining parts ;)

Damn, did I just gave you advice. You tricked me :lol:

PS: The claimed water resistance by dealers is a hoax. Most of the times you can unscrew the case back with your fingers so the chance of reaching depths of 1000m without water entering the watch is rather small. If you secure the case back on this rep and make sure the crown is screwed down thight they all can easily be used for some recreational diving. Or you could always take some preliminary measures just to be sure. :snorkel:

Damn, did I just gave you advice. You tricked me :lol:

LOL.

I appreciate everyone's advice and positive attitude. That's what makes forums like this one great.

I already had an email in to that dealer I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks again.

Well it's been 4 days since I first emailed that dealer and I have not received a response to any of my inquires. Any recommendations? Reliability is important to me.

I actually placed an order with them yesterday - and although their automatic message says that they respond within 24 hours, I got no respone yet...

Maybe Monday?

I actually placed an order with them yesterday - and although their automatic message says that they respond within 24 hours, I got no respone yet...

Maybe Monday?

Still no response for me either. In addition I tried to buy another watch from another person. I tried to make a credit card purchase 3 times and it failed 3 times. I checked with my bank and it was not on their end. Times must be good over there because it seems none of these people want my money.