When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM dial sanity check- Are we straight?

ubiquitous

For those of you with an eye for symmetry- Does this look straight? I think it does... But I've been staring at it for so long now that I think my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Sometimes, it looks just ever so slightly off kilter:

IMG_3597a.jpg

If I do a grid of straight lines, however, it looks fairly straight, I think...

IMG_3597.jpg

Thoughts?

Kinda hard to get a straight on photo with everything square, even, level... I think I need to figure out a jig or something with these things :)

I think it looks just symmetrically fine Ubi! :)

Had some lopsided ones on my projects and spent some time re-adjusting....problem is : the more you adjust, the more you want it perfected, with the 3 and 9 lined up, the more observant you get, the more picky you become.

I've learnt that near-perfection is just as good as perfection.

For those of you with an eye for symmetry- Does this look straight? I think it does... But I've been staring at it for so long now that I think my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Sometimes, it looks just ever so slightly off kilter:

IMG_3597a.jpg

If I do a grid of straight lines, however, it looks fairly straight, I think...

IMG_3597.jpg

Thoughts?

Kinda hard to get a straight on photo with everything square, even, level... I think I need to figure out a jig or something with these things :)

Looks straight to me. I have optic effects with the pre A/V dials too. Im anal about it

I've had this thing apart a couple of times within the last 12 hours... Fine tuning, adjusting and re-adjusting. I tend to think that after a while, my eyes just go kind of cross and I start seeing things that aren't exactly reality. I use the grid to line things up, but as with anything, nothing is fool proof as in the end there's a human behind the process :)

It's reassuring to have you guys double check with another set of eyes to make sure I'm seeing things right. Thanks as always- Very much appreciated!

^_^

Part of it can be that when looking at the dial your hands are not positioned symmetrically. This can cause a visual skewing, though slight, that can be just enough with prolonged staring to drive one a little batty. Also, if you have any astigmatism problems then your screwed unless that's corrected.

Phew ...not just me then!!

I've found using the bottom disc from a 111/112 sandwich dial the easiest way to line up the top etched disc as you can use the existing lume marks as a guide.

It's the only downside with this 2 piece construction on base dials as I couldn't figure a way to make alignment slots without involving another off-site process and costs.

Won't have the same issue with marina dials as the seconds at 9 hole will do the job nicely!

Cheers

FGD

What's worse? My profession as a Graphic Designer, Web Development...I obsess with detail.

I see things many other people wouldn't even consider. And then, if there are imperfections, I'm in trouble. It drives me nuts.

Oh...and People really hate when I point them out...then they see it as well. :rolleyes:

So, of course, I had to capture the above image and put it through some testing...came out almost perfect, as stated.