When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How its made. Science Channel

June 13th 2009 12:30pm Eastern-Leather Watchbands.

June 14th 4am Eastern-Luxury Watches.

On the Science Channel. I could not figure out how to cut and paste the Science Channel webpage.

I was surprised how easy it is to hand make a watch.

Gears, Leather Watchbands, Vitrelle Dishes and Kitchen Shears (Sc

Jun 13,

12:00 am

30 min(s)

How It's Made 6

Episode 8

Aluminium Boats, Alpine Horns and Luxury Watches

Jun 13,

12:30 am

30 min(s)

How It's Made 6

Episode 6

Gears, Leather Watchbands, Vitrelle Dishes and Kitchen Shears (Sc

Jun 14,

4:00 am

30 min(s)

How It's Made 6

Episode 8

Aluminium Boats, Alpine Horns and Luxury Watches

Edited by georgegrasser

I saw it last night. Very interesting but it didn't strike me as having enough "handmade" components for a 6-figure watch. In fact, it looked easier than I thought.

The Raymond Weil leather band, on the other hand, took much more effort than I thought.

During the water pressure test, which I did not know by the way was used with actual water, what if it had leaked?

I assume a little water, quicky dried causes no harm. Correct?

The Community will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they first overpressurize with air, then put it in water to see if the air leaks out.

Probably the chamber is lower pressure than the watch. Since inside of the watch is higher pressure than the chamber, the air will move out of the case into the chamber filled with water if there is a leak. Water will also not flow into the watch due to the presuure difference. Hence, movement remains dry.

Well thats good. Because I've never heard of a "factory second" fine swiss watch.

Oh, and if anybody cares. which they don't. I received a lifetime ban from the library today. I had placed the library address on my business (type) card offering free chess lessons to kids 5-14. I thought that was a great idea me being a master and all. NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Quick trivia for the lazy (me). Are the torrents in HD? My tivo caught the episodes, but they were only on the standard def channel, and not discovery HD.

I have now watched them and they are definitely not HD. Watched on a 42" TV in my bedroom and resolution is good enough to see what is going on, but no HD material here. I am very impressed with the videos and will be keeping them in my library just for fun. Plus my kids get to see that daddy is not the only one who looks like he has collapsed at the table with a loupe stuck to his eye!