When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will it match..? (Small wrist, Big watch)

t0t0_b0y

Hi there,

I would like to get some opinions about wearing big watches on small wrist.

I have a relatively small wrist (~6.5") but I'm planning to buy big watches like Omega Railmaster XXL or 47mm Panerai but I'm worried that it will overpower my wrist and it will not look good.

Are there any members that have had experience similar to my current situation?

If possible, can you please upload a wrist shot so I can get an idea of how will it look like if I decided to buy big watches.

Many thanks guys :):):)

i have 6,25 inch wrists and i have a pam 111h at 44mm and a b&r 03-92 at 42mm. these are about the biggest my wrists can handle. Granted, my wrist is smaller than yours, but at 47+ mm your pushing it.

I suggest you get a photocopy of the watch you want and reduce / enlarge the watch to the correct size and place it on your wrist to see how it looks.

Worked for me when I decided on the b&r.

I've worn a BR01 at 46mm on my 6.5" wrists and I think you can get away with that because it's designed to look big :)

I'd be interested to see some pics of all the pams on a small wrist too, though, as I have no idea what they're going to wear like!

i have a 44mm pam177 and my wrists are a shade over 7". I would say the watch does not look big and i would wear bigger but im not into oversized watches really

you could go to a watch shop and try a watch of that size/shape on and see what you think. Its one thing to measure a watch to your wrist but it can be very different when you wear it. Different styles will give different visual impressions of size when worn

There are three factors that you should consider when choosing a large watch (in my opinion).

1) The shape of your wrist is the first to consider. If you have a wrist that is flatter/broader, a larger watch may work well since it has more area to sit against.

2) The watch measurement lug to lug is the next thing I would consider. The lugs should not overhang your wrist as the strap would sit awkwardly and could make the watch uncomfortable to wear.

3) And closely related to measurement lug to lug, the next thing I would consider is the shape of the lugs on the watch you are looking at. The more they curve down, the better your chances are that the watch will look fine on a smaller wrist.

To give some examples- The Breitling Montbrillant Legende is a big watch at 47mm, but as many here have demonstrated, the watch works well on a smaller wrist due to the lug contour. On the other side of that spectrum, a 42mm AP Royal Oak Offshore does not fit comfortably on the wrist because of the shape of it's integrated lugs, and ends up wearing like a much larger watch (especially on smaller wrists).

My advice is to see if you can try on one of the watches you are interested in prior to buying. If that's not an option, you can always buy something in the trading section that's already suffered first owner depreciation and if it doesn't suit you, you can list it for sale again.

Heh... With that last paragraph in mind, I think this kind of situation makes for a good reminder as to why some people get into reps- Test driving certain pieces in this fashion is far more affordable than doing it with gens.

IMHO, it's your attitude. I've got friends who have small wrists and are small in stature that pull off 47mm with aplomb. Then I have buddies who are 6'4" 235lbs. that can't even do the same with a 44mm. It's really in the style and attitude of the individual IMO. I also have a few female friends who love to run around at nights with my 45.5mm Omega PO on their wrists and they make it look o so sexy... In the end, I say do what you like.