When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof?- 5 Bar?

offshore

Just finished doing a battery replacement on a "Diesel" watch.

Now, the client had asked that it also be waterproof tested.

On removing the snap style caseback, I was astounded that it was metal to metal, there was no seal....and due to the way it has been designed, there is no possibility of fitting a seal!

Yet the watch is clearly marked 5 Bar, on the dial!

A further investigation of the stem revealed no seal either. Now I could modify a few things and get an O ring in there, but this is sort of way beyond a WP test.

Went ahead anyway and tested the watch, and not surprisingly it failed with leaks at the rear (multiple) and the stem.

So I called the owner, and asked if he had ever had this watch under, or near, water.

The answer was an unsurprising NO, although the watch had been purchased a couple of years ago, in good faith, as WP, and there was always the thought that it could be submerged.

I explained the scenario, and he has accepted that this now is a 'dry" watch, as he doesn't want to outlay more $$ in a probable futile attempt to WP it.

I see this sort of crap regularly in cheap Chinese stuff, even a lot which have seals in place will never properly WP test, as the seals are wrong for the job. This however is the 1st half "decent" brand I have come across, which seriously had no chance of being sealed.

Maybe it was a rep? :rolleyes:

Offshore

It's just marketing to the gullible. Like the 140mph rating on my daughter's speedometer... on her Toyota Corolla.

I doubt her car could hit 140mph in a freefall and yet there it is.

What do you expect from a clothing maker? Just goes to show that LWLs (little white lies) exist in the gen world too.

Col.

:lol::tu:

That's pretty funny to hear, I guess Diesel aren't concerned about trade description laws :lol:

What we should expect of cause is an acurate description of the capabilities of the timepiece but unfortunatly that's obviosly too much to hope for. A seal on the caseback would have been nice!

OS: Na, no rep. It would at least have had a seal of some kind :)

Col.

What we should expect of cause is an acurate description of the capabilities of the timepiece but unfortunatly that's obviosly too much to hope for. A seal on the caseback would have been nice!

OS: Na, no rep. It would at least have had a seal of some kind :)

Col.

Indeed, I know folks accept that the 1000ft rating on a rep might just be ink on a dial, and not actually accurate, but on a regular branded piece (even a Diesel) the company have an obligation to provide a product which does what it says it does... :lol:

Indeed, I know folks accept that the 1000ft rating on a rep might just be ink on a dial, and not actually accurate, but on a regular branded piece (even a Diesel) the company have an obligation to provide a product which does what it says it does... :lol:

I dunno about you, but every Diesel watch I've ever seen has been electric. Not one of them burns #2 kerosene.

"Diesel"? Hardly! These are electrics baby.

Don't even get me started on Hummers. :rolleyes:

I dunno about you, but every Diesel watch I've ever seen has been electric. Not one of them burns #2 kerosene.

"Diesel"? Hardly! These are electrics baby.

Don't even get me started on Hummers. :rolleyes:

It's shocking, isn't it :D