When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Video cards... is 512MB "decent"?

By-Tor

@ coolfire, my office machine is a BEAST:

supermicro 5046a-xb barebones

intel i7-965 extreme edition

12 gig of OCZ platinum ddr3-1600

2 intel x-25-e solid state drives

dual quadro fx3800's

windows xp64

faster than anything I've ever used, if something is slow, its the coding of the program not the machine. OTB, with no overclocking can calculate 1 million places in SuperPi in 12 seconds. Yea, its fast...

Home is just a dual 3.2g xeon work station with 2 raptors, and dual 8800gtx's, and its like a dinosaur compared to my machine at the office. If I ever get laid off, I am telling them I want the PC...

oh [censored].... those specs are really friggin' AWESOME!!!

Yeah, grab the monster-machine first, buddy! :p

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nothing. If you're talking rigs....

800pxzxspectrum48k.jpg

* 48k of RAM :whistling:

* Rubber Buttons.

* Manic Miner on Cassette Tape

* Eight minutes listening to that fax machine noise while it loads

* Full 15 colour, 256

That rainbow brite computer is awesome. My first was a Tandy trs-80. Cassette tapes as well.

@clerek, the i7 is an awesome chip. With hyperthreading turned on it has 8 threads. Now, the CPU alone was over $1000usd, but in my opinion worth every penny. We are happy with the ssd's as well. I am a huge raptor fan, buy even when these drives are at their end of life, the will still be 75% faster than a brand new raptor.

Funny thing is, with all this power at my fingertips, I still can't get out of work at a decen

That's nothing. If you're talking rigs....

800pxzxspectrum48k.jpg

* 48k of RAM :whistling:

* Rubber Buttons.

* Manic Miner on Cassette Tape

* Eight minutes listening to that fax machine noise while it loads

* Full 15 colour, 256

@ coolfire, my office machine is a BEAST:

supermicro 5046a-xb barebones

intel i7-965 extreme edition

12 gig of OCZ platinum ddr3-1600

2 intel x-25-e solid state drives

dual quadro fx3800's

windows xp64

faster than anything I've ever used, if something is slow, its the coding of the program not the machine. OTB, with no overclocking can calculate 1 million places in SuperPi in 12 seconds. Yea, its fast...

Home is just a dual 3.2g xeon work station with 2 raptors, and dual 8800gtx's, and its like a dinosaur compared to my machine at the office. If I ever get laid off, I am telling them I want the PC...

Hope you dont mind my asking, but what exactly do you do at work that requires that power ? :o

And can I have one ? :p

I am an architectural designer. we usually buy off the shelf rigs at $5k every 5 years. we were able to build this one for around that and it is way better than the dell $5k machine.

here is the super pi (sorry its 13 seconds for 1 million places not 12. in comparison my old home rig (water cooled 4ghz p4 with 4 gig of ram) could one muster 19 seconds,this could do 8 calulations simultaniously at 13seonds each) The task manager read )0% cpu load at rest, Ive never had a pc do that before.

Untitled-1.jpg

I am an architectural designer. we usually buy off the shelf rigs at $5k every 5 years. we were able to build this one for around that and it is way better than the dell $5k machine.

Cool! So you really DO need that computer :tu:

Wish I had one...

It is a nice rig, with twin rads inside the case (240/360), and a laing pump, with two full covers on the 8800's. It can run quiet, or I can crank the fans up, depends on the ambient temps :)

It's nice to build your own, but damn if I could have 5k to create a new PC, I would have so much fun! B)

bytor, are you overclocking that card you bought or leaving it stock?

I once overclocked my old Celeron... back in the 90's I think. Or early 2000's. Never again. It caused all kinds of occasional weirdness.

And due to my editorial work I have to keep my machine on for very long periods of time. So I don't want to do it.

And this machine is now fast as a lightning (compared to my intergrated POS). No extra speed is needed. :)