When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Video cards... is 512MB "decent"?

By-Tor

Hi all tech wizards... I just bought a new desktop machine a while ago. I wasn't too anal about the performance because I was under the impression that all somewhat modern machines can run modern games just "ok".

Well that doesn't seem to be the case here. Looks like I saved a few bucks in the wrong place... my machine has TERRIBLE performance with all new games: NHL 09 (well that doesn't really matter as 2004 is superior to it every way), FIFA 09 (awful performance), PES 2009 (same thing).

I can run all vintage games perfectly of course... but looks like I need a new video card for the modern games. I have never been even remotely interested in computers THAT way (so I don't really know which is good and which isn't anymore) but I'd like to play games occasionally. I have XBox 360 and all hockey and soccer titles but I actually hate XBox... I much rather play from PC. Can the tech wizards tell me whether my specs are totally outdated or not.

Here goes...

Video card:

24182314.jpg

Processor:

14661817.jpg

Do you think changing video card would improve my performance with games... or is my processor just crap?

Or perhaps there could be some "tricks" to improve the speed? Could it be that my RAM is just insufficient? What do you think is the main obstacle in getting decent game performance? I know the video card is "integrated" to the mainboard so I'm not sure if it's even possible to change.

I'll buy new computer stuff tomorrow based on your guidance... or perhaps dump this whole damn machine and buy another. :D

Thanks in advance. All help much appreciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BT!

I've stoped playing PC games and not involved with day-to-day PC configs anymore, but what I figure is that almost all new games are grapics intensive and requires Graphics cards for gaming.....meaning very good GPUs and tons of memory!

On the CPU side, dual core is a must at the minimum.....Quad core is preffered! 4 Gigs of RAM are now de riguer for all graphics intensive applications!

Your System looks good, but I think needs more umph on the System memory and GPU card for gaming!

my 4 cents worth! I'm pretty sure some Gamers will chime in here very soon! I have a quad core System with 4Gig RAM and 2 Terabytes of storage! I use my machine mainly for DVD movie de-crypting and Recoding to my Hard drive for a Multi-media Home Theater use and some Adobe CS4 use!

check this out at Maximum PC: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/...s_800_gaming_pc

Good luck!

Ohh, my area of particular expertise arrives at last! ;)

Your "video card" is actually whats known as an "onboard" GPU or Graphics Processor. Unfortunately; they are never good.

You would benefit hugely from buying a separate video card, I could explain and use words like bus and aperature, but you may as well just take my advice ;)

With that said theres a few things you need to check;

Firstly, your motherboard accepts PCI-Express cards.

Secondly, your computer 'case' could accept an extra card fitting inside the slot (some modern graphics cards are an extra 1/3 in length which can cause.. "issues".

Thirdly, check your PSU (Power supply), you're going to need to plug the new external device into the power, and if your PSU isnt up to the challenge, you're gonna have some real big problems.

I'd recommend a Geforce 8800 GTX, which was the highest spec graphics card for the best part of a year and are currently available at bargain prices. 512/768mb models are both available!

PM me if you need anymore information!

Thanks mate. So I'll buy more RAM and new graphics card... cool!

Can you install another graphics card to a system that has integrated one already installed (it can't be taken off of the mainboard)?

@ammandel: would it help, and could you give me more information if I snapped a picture of my mainboard and stuff?

The newly installed Graphics Card will take over from the on-board one if you plug the monitor straight into it.

+1 on the GeForce card. They are great!

Also, more RAM is never a bad thing. It's kind of odd that yours is showing up as 1.87GB. Could be a matching issue on it. Make sure you purchase the right type of RAM to go with your system.

Did you buy the system as a complete system, or was it "built" for you?

Just so you know, XP can't access more than 3Gig of Ram, but later versions of Windows can.

The dedicated graphics card will have you running sweet. Get one with HDMI output and it'll be ready to connect to any giant LCD, Plasma...

Dedicated cards can be added to systems for sure, but sometimes you have to change a jumper setting on the motherboard to switch the on-board one off I think. It'll be in the motherboard manual, which can be downloaded I'd imagine. If you can identify the motherboard, you'll be sorted.

I would not recommend buying RAM too quickly as RAM inconsistancy and/or incompatibility (AND low quality) could be a harnessing factor to your computers speed, in a huge way!

The video card is a different matter however! It'd help if you had your motherboard manual handy so we could go through some specific requirements, it'll state the exact motherboard version number too so I can look the specs up online, you could always take the strap off and look between the lugs.. wait.. no ;)

The video card you're correct about; it cannot be taken off your motherboard physically but there are a couple of things you may need to do. Sometimes the onboard GPU can be simply disabled in the BIOS, and sometimes you can physically disable it by moving whats known as a 'jumper' on the motherboard itself. I'll guide you through that if necessary but for now we can just use the BIOS settings.

Basically all you do is install the new one, then disable the old one in the BIOS, remember the PSU issue I mentioned though. Tell me what wattage it is (it will say on it; i.e. 500w, 450w etc)

Did you buy the system as a complete system, or was it "built" for you?

It was a complete system. It was some sort of "budget" machine as my girlfriend has her own laptop and I was mainly just editing photos and magazine layouts (my profession) and browsing the Internet. Now I got my old "gaming passion" back when I saw some new sports games. :D

I snapped a few photos of my mainboard. Perhaps Ammandel can see what I can fit to this POS.

(sorry the photos are terrible as I don't have much light here).

PHOTO 1

PHOTO 2

If you need clearer pics let me know and I'll drag better lamp here.

I'll tell you the motherboard specs now... hold on... I'll look for the manual.

Could you please take a picture further away so we can see the whole inside of the case?

Sure. Very soon... like in 15 minutes. But my two remaining camera batteries just died... typical! :D

Can I get the mainboard specs from the Control Panel... or do I need the manual? Of course I can't find it. That is also very typical.

Theres a few great signs, nice big healthy looking case fans and nicely conservatively wired (Red SATA wires bottom right are a good sign).

You're motherboard (manufacturer) and model is: (ASUS) M2N-VM DVI

Really really need you to tell me what "wattage" on your PSU is! but I knocked this together for you (sorry for the bad annotation quality !)

bytor.jpg

The procedure you'll follow is:

(1) Remove the "Removable" metal piece that allows the card to come through the back of the machine (You'll need to plug your monitor into the new card as it now displays the screen through it)

(2) Un'tab' the PCI Express slot

(3) Line the card up with where you removed the metal piece and the card slot and push it all in, should 'clip' in and the tab will click into place.

The green represents where the card will sit, which is another thing for you to look out for. Be careful when you're buying that you don't get overexcited and buy one that goes too far across the case (as you can see, any larger than I have depicted in the picture and it'll interfere with your other connections!)

Amazing. Thanks mate... you really seem to know your stuff.

I can install the card... I've done it many times. But appreciate that guide... really superb. :)

How can I determine what my PSU "wattage" is? Is the info accessible from the control panel?

Is the video card recommendation the same? And no extra RAM needed (necessarily)?

"Output 400W Max", That seems fine to me! I'm gonna go to sleep now, but with what I've seen I'd say you're good to go ahead and buy as I recommended before: A Geforce 8800 GT or GTX (The GTX is the better one.. but I dont know what you'll have access to!)

You may look to changing your RAM if you wish, but I'd personally leave it!

If you do decide you must get new RAM then I'd recommend taking the stick of it that you have in there to the store just so you remember the speed etc !

Will check my PMs in 6 hours from now if you have any questions ;)

Amazing.

Will buy that particular card tomorrow.

Much appreciated mate. If you need some watch assistance, just drop me a pm... anytime. :)

PS: Thanks everyone else too. I wasn't aware that XP can't use more memory than that. You learn more every day.

I'll keep you posted.

Hey so First off how much did you spend on the system and is it too late to return it? J/K!!!

You do have an available slot on your motherboard but the 8800 wouldn't really fit and you do NEED another PSU...also upgrading to vista and getting a motherboard/cpu bundle from Tigerdirect or Newegg.com would be the ideal place to get something. I built my in-laws a "budget" computer for under $200 us, and I can play most ANY game out right now (crysis, and prototype, not so much...Low settings with SOME lage, but it plays and these are the games to benchmark!)

If you can find a college kid in your area that wants a little extra gas money, you could very easily get someone to build one for you. In your case you wouldn't really need to get a super expensive graphics card to play those games, but something like a 9600 gt 512 card would be fine for what you need and these go for about 40 dollars.

RAM is a different story, since your running XP it is out of date a bit, and I am guessing you have DDR ram, or being hopeful, DDR2, if that is the case you can get a couple sticks of DDR2 Ram 4gb total (only if you upgrade to Vista :) ), for a wopping $35 bucko's!

Also what is you processor and motherboard type? To find your CPU just go to "System" in the control panel and copy all that info. It should say your core, total ram, and processor speed. Tell me what all this is, and I'll let you know what you need to get and even how to install all of it, if your interested.

You can PM me all this info, and I'll look at it and get back to you.

BTW;

I am a Computer Engineer (Hardware Engineer) and have tons of experience building computers, so you have questions, I'll answer them...

-Ricardo

Also what is you processor and motherboard type? To find your CPU just go to "System" in the control panel and copy all that info. It should say your core, total ram, and processor speed. Tell me what all this is, and I'll let you know what you need to get and even how to install all of it, if your interested.

Thanks Ricardo. I posted my specs in the initial post.

I hate Vista... I won't install that no matter what. I've seen enough of the compatibility issues with some older games I want to play. :D

HA! I am TOTALLY SORRY about that! I missed the second pic totally. Your processor IS good. I really like the AMD processors but for the graphics card you definately need an upgrade. You can just leave your onboard GPU where it is, and install the new gpu. I would recommend the 9600 gt over the 8800 gt or gtx, as that card is huge, compared to the 9600 and it uses more power. There is a hack you can use in XP that allows you to use more RAM, however, ram is used for running multiple application, so if you are a multitasker then this would be essential, and you could STILL upgrade to the 4gb. If it is a faster ram, then it will make everything run better. Xp is AMAZING with 4gb ram and a dual core cpu like this one. I feel like I am rambling...you are in Eu right? I am willing to walk you through installing ANY parts you choose to buy, and also also making more recommendations. Just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

FREE TECH SUPPORT!

-Ricardo

i gave up chasing the latest performace parts ALONG time ago. just bought an XBOX 360 and can play every game that comes out in glorious 1080.

even with a faster vid card it might be waiting for you CPU to catch up. I wouldnt go over 2gigs of RAM on that current setup either. for every day use your configuration beats mine, and i have NO problems with my setup.

HA! Agreed! I just bought an extremely overpriced laptop, that is going to be top of the line until...oh a couple minute after I bought it! If you like to play games, then the investment in a 360 is worth it. Hell get a PS3 and you get a bluray player on top of it all, but not as good of gameplay online...

-Ricardo

i gave up chasing the latest performace parts ALONG time ago. just bought an XBOX 360 and can play every game that comes out in glorious 1080.

I have XBox 360 too. I'm a sports game fan... especially hockey.

As great as the 360 hockey games look, they're still just plastic... just like all other sports games that can't receive community made mods. If you install the "rebuilt NHL 2004", "Classic PES 5 with World Cup 1990 mod" or "MVP Baseball 2005, with 08 mod" or rFactor to your system (PC) you'll find out what I'm talking about.

Being European, I had never even seen a baseball game in my life before I checked what the guys in the MVP community had done. That video game alone got me interested in baseball (of all sports)! Rebuilt NHL 2004 is even better... it runs circles around my XBox NHL 09 in "feeling" and atmosphere... everything except in the graphics department actually, it's not even funny.

The hardcore fans have rebuilt those games completely... to a sensational shape... added some insane details, stats, reports, and other characteristics from the real sport... no "out of the box" console sports game can ever come close and have "soul"... no matter how pretty it is. That's why I'm a PC gamer through and through.

Just my 2c.

@ricardo: Thanks man... appreciate your advice.