When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Uber Noob Question

Bande

OK - -thank goodness this is a place I don't need to use my real name cause here may be the dumbest question ever. :bangin: On the Breitling BCE I presume the large middle button/hub is what I use to set the time (as opposed to the two flanking buttons which I assume are for the smaller dials. Mine is stuck fast -- Do I pull it out to turn it? Seems very firm so don't want to force something I shouldn't.

Thanks in advance.

Unscrew it. It behaves like a normal screw... counterclockwise is the key.

When it's totally unscrewed just pull it gently out.

1st position = hand wind position, but don't hand wind your automatic watches. It only creates wear in the movement and gears.

2nd position = date (dont' set when the time is between 10 - 2)

3rd position = hack signal and time set

when you're done, push the crown back in and screw it in.

Good luck!

Unscrew it. It behaves like a normal screw... counterclockwise is the key.

When it's totally unscrewed just pull it gently out.

1st position = hand wind position, but don't hand wind your automatic watches. It only creates wear in the movement and gears.

2nd position = date (dont' set when the time is between 10 - 2)

3rd position = hack signal and time set

when you're done, push the crown back in and screw it in.

Good luck!

Thanks -- so if I should not hand wind then just keep moving it in my hand until the second hand starts to move?

Correct. Just give it a good swirling motion with the watch on the palm of your hand- Our resident movement guru likens this to swishing a snifter of fine brandy.

Once you see the seconds hand start to move, give it a few more 'swirls'. You can then set the date/time, strap to your wrist and enjoy...

Correct. Just give it a good swirling motion with the watch on the palm of your hand- Our resident movement guru likens this to swishing a snifter of fine brandy.

Once you see the seconds hand start to move, give it a few more 'swirls'. You can then set the date/time, strap to your wrist and enjoy...

Hmm.. I am a tad concerned now. I have set the time/date. The watch seems to be keeping time, but the second hand is stuck at 12. Is that normal and I just need to keep swirling it for a bit?

Just to clarify- Hour and minute hands are keeping time, and the seconds hand is stuck at 12:00?

Are you looking at the center seconds, or the small seconds on the 9:00 subdial?

The 9:00 subdial is running seconds; i.e. constantly running seconds. The center seconds is the stopwatch seconds. This hand only moves when you have the chronograph engaged with the pusher at 2:00.

...and finally understand how girls feel when they get their engagement rings. :)

No you don't...engagement rings don't weigh almost half a pound of macho mass AND tell the time. ;)

Congrats.

Read the Noob Guide linked in my signature. There's a series of links in there about chrono's, care and maintenance of mechanical watches, etc.