When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Still hauls after all these years

JoJo35

I can't believe it's been almost twenty years since I bought my baby brand new. Since then she's seen lots of mods (like everything else I own). Some of those mods were by choice, and others were "forced upgrades". In other words, when your bike slides along @ 100mph and hits a guy wire to a telephone pole which causes it to spin 30 ft through the air like a helicopter, what you have left almost requires upgrades!

So, that's exactly what I did. Upside down forks, P&M wheels, Airtech OW-01 bodywork, fox shock, aftermarket swing arm, re-jet to the Mikuni's, Vance & Hines pipes, and as a finishing touch, an exact duplicate of the 1978 "King Kenny" factory paint job.

I know it's not an R1, but with 127 rwhp, this puppy still flies ;)

FZR100001.jpg

Any other bike modders out there?

My First Bike was a 1993 FZR 600

second bike was 1995 CBR 600 F3

Third 1995 CBR 900

Fourth 2000 R1

Now I have 01 zx7R and an old zx6 and a KFX 700 ATV

The TOY House

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

g35e.jpg

Picture050.jpg

I've been riding for the past 30 years... lot's of bikes... Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Ducati, Bimota.... choppers, naked bikes, sports bikes. At one point, I had three bikes at the same time -one for daily, one for weekend, one for racetrack.

post-2851-1245862878_thumb.jpg

@Jojo, that thing's a beauty! Very nice.

In 1983 your bike and rider were beat for the Superbike Championships by Freddy Spencer on an HRC ride. Two of his mechanics at the time were Charlie McDonald and Mike Velasco. Mike was a real PITA but Charlie was a good friend of mine. He helped me build my bike and 600 miles later I blew up my motor. :Jumpy: So we tore it down again and Charlie rebuilt it, and filled it with HRC factory parts. It's basically a 1983 Daytona-spec Superbike. He warned me that "you WILL kill yourself on this bike" if I didn't take it easy. I also needed a pipe to make it breath, so Kaz Yoshima hand-bent me a one-off pipe to work with Charlie's engine, and the thing is un-fricken-believable. At 10,000 rpms it sounds like the world is coming to an end.

This is the basic configuration, but now the pipe is aluminum plasma coated.

cb1100f.jpg

I love the sound of my buddy's Triumph Speed Triple, and my body shop guy has a Bimota Tesi 1D (funky bike with arms up front, not forks). My son likes to sit on them, but aside from that, I don't know much about them :)

Ahhhhhh, very intriguing! There's a very interesting correlation between artistic people, gearhead pursuits, and music. You're one of the most artistic people here, a total gearhead, and you like the sound of the triple. :g: How cool is that?!

The bike's sound is based mathematically on the resonances produced by the engine, its intake and its exhaust ... in fact its harmonics are very similar to those of a bassoon. A twin has its own signature sound, and an inline four-cylinder engine has its own tonal characteristics. Each require different tunings to run right, and can be compared to different musical instruments.

Aesthetics come from the visual, mechanical and tonal. Very very cool.