When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A huge Thank You to RWG!

Bande

First and foremost a HUGE thank you to this forum. What follows is just a rambling story of my first watch and why RWG is so useful!

I, like many, have always been intrigued by high end watches -- they look cool, feel great and make you feel special wearing them (not to mention impressing others). That said, I have never had the free cash to actually buy one. One day I bought a Rolex Submariner from a street vendor in DC for about $50. I was hooked, and wore it religiously for........two months; then not surprisingly it broke. I thought about getting another, but $50 every two months seemed steep. ;)

I am also an amateur magician. One of the most valuable resources I have found for that hobby is a forum called themagiccafe.com. It is a wonderful site where magicians help other magicians. Tricks are seperated into categories (cards, coins etc.), members give candid reviews, discuss vendors and answer questions -- sound familiar? :D . They have saved me from countless bad investments, recommended things for me to buy (which I have) and greatly increased my enjoyment of magic.

So, one day I am sitting at work and thinking that every hobby should have a site as helpful as themagiccafe. I start poking around google and find rwg.cc. Wow! This site is every bit as good/helpful as themagiccafe. Here is why I say this:

First thing I see on the site is Bi-Tor's Hey Noob read this post. Simply fantastic -- I spent the next few hours reading the links and getting familiar with the hobby. It is a much deeper and more complex than I had ever imagined. My initial thought is that I want a Rolex, because that is the brand I most recognized. I read the reviews on the various vendors and narrow it down to three I think I should check out. I look at the watched and decide the Rolex Daytone is for me. But first, I check out the Rolex section and the wonderful reviews and comparisons. Well, as cool as it looks the reviews make me think I might be happier with something else. I look at a DSSD, but it doesn't grab me as much.

I start to browse and find the Breitling section. Hmm...these look really cool. I think I want a Montbrilliant Legende, but then see a post about someone with small wrists. Hey! I have small wrists too, so let's pass on the Legend. I turn my eye to the TT BCE (black) which is gorgeous IMHO. Hmm...but what version and what does all this movement stuff mean (21j vs 7724 etc.). Have no fear -- rwg.cc has an entire section educating me on that very issue. The Zigmeister is simply amazing. OK now I am set -- I know my vendor and I know my watch. I also am armed with the proper etiquette on how to act especially if something goes awry.

So, I place my order and wait until today -- my watch arrives. It is beautiful, but......I realize I don't know how to set the time or date. No problem, rwg.cc to the rescue again. I get fast, accurate answers and now am enjoying my watch.

And that is my long winded, rambling story. But I just wanted to make sure you all know how useful and important your contributions are -- so a big THANKS from me.