When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some pictures of my trip to Malta

b16a2

Last week I set off on my first expedition of the summer. The destination of choice was Malta. I had heard great things about this picturesque island, and I was very excited to be visiting it.

When you first arrive at the island you can see the heavy influence of the UK during its reign. In 1964, Malta gained independence from the UK, but most of the road sign are English, and most of the population speak English.

Malta is now a member of the EU, and no longer uses Lira, the currency is now the Euro. The main industries of the tiny island are shipping, electronics, and of course

Thanks for sharing these. I've always wanted to visit Malta. All the pictures I've seen are beautiful and the island has such historical significance. Maybe some day.......

Great topic!

:clap::clap2::clap2:

@Teejay - it was your post a few weeks back that inspired me to post the pictures. It's nice to see different areas of the world from the point of view of regular tourists rather than through the eyes of independant internet sites (and some not so independant) :drinks:

@Steve52 - it is definitely a very nice place. The great thing is, if you want a cheapish holiday, you can stay in somewhere like Qawra which is slightly cheaper than staying in somewhere like St Julians, Valletta, or Sliema, but still only be 20 minutes or so away from these places. It is ideal. We spent

Nice pics, its great to have threads like this, really lovely to look at. Hope you enjoyed your time there bro and btw...

THAT is a special, SPECIAL image. Wow.

I know, I couldn't quite believe it when I was walking down the backstreets of Valletta and saw a Fiat 500 outside a coffee shop. It just looked so 'Italian' to me. There were a couple of older Fiat's around but what I loved about this particular setup was that the surroundings were all very traditional, yet the coffee shop and the Fiat were more modern, yet they didn't look out of place.

@Teejay - it was your post a few weeks back that inspired me to post the pictures. It's nice to see different areas of the world from the point of view of regular tourists rather than through the eyes of independant internet sites (and some not so independant) :drinks:

Glad to have been of inspiration :) I just like taking the photos while I'm away, as it gives me something to focus on while I'm there, and of course, it's nice to share the memories with folks :drinks:

I think it's nice to see things from the perspective of someone actually there, which travel sites and what not often lack. I can definitely see why my nan enjoyed visiting, I might have to try and convince my wife to take a trip there :) I'm liking the dog, he looks like he had character :D

Glad to have been of inspiration :) I just like taking the photos while I'm away, as it gives me something to focus on while I'm there, and of course, it's nice to share the memories with folks :drinks:

I think it's nice to see things from the perspective of someone actually there, which travel sites and what not often lack. I can definitely see why my nan enjoyed visiting, I might have to try and convince my wife to take a trip there :) I'm liking the dog, he looks like he had character :D

I agree, over the last few years, I have become a real photoholic! Everywear I go, I seem to see inspiration for a nice picture, I'm a real nightmare to be with sometimes........ 'oohh sorry, one sec, I just want to take a quick picture' :)

Well if she needs any convincing shoot me a PM and I can send a few more shots through to your email address. It would make an absolutely brilliant couples holiday, especially a newly wed one like yourselves. In the evenings some of the bays are just like out of a film set!

The dog was so funny. I almost missed the shot as he decided to go back inside. As I was walking off he popped his head out again so I whipped the camera out John Wayne style.

Malta is a beautiful place - I used to have friends/business contacts who lived over there and visited pretty often at one time. I have several photographs of some of Valletta's Roman ruins hanging on the walls here. Haven't been back in over 20 years though - I must correct that.

I see the buses are as ..er.. 'characterful' as ever. Back when I was a regular visitor over there, the roads used to get as slick as ice at certain times of the year due to the constant heating and cooling of the asphalt. The buses new all about the really dodgy spots and didn't strictly drive on the right, or on the left. They drove in the shade! Got a bit hairy at times - especially in a bus dating from WW2 as many of them were in those days. I hope they've improved the road surfaces since! ;)

I agree, over the last few years, I have become a real photoholic! Everywear I go, I seem to see inspiration for a nice picture, I'm a real nightmare to be with sometimes........ 'oohh sorry, one sec, I just want to take a quick picture' :)

Well if she needs any convincing shoot me a PM and I can send a few more shots through to your email address. It would make an absolutely brilliant couples holiday, especially a newly wed one like yourselves. In the evenings some of the bays are just like out of a film set!

The dog was so funny. I almost missed the shot as he decided to go back inside. As I was walking off he popped his head out again so I whipped the camera out John Wayne style.

I think I've always enjoyed photography, but it's only in the last few years, with digital technology that I've been able to enjoy the hobby at the level which I want to enjoy it at, if that makes any sense? I've got a 35mm SLR, but I don't want to be lugging it around with me everywhere just on the off chance I might see something, and then the time of getting the film developed etc... I only tend to take my digital camera with me to parties or on holiday, for everything else, my iPhone has given me the camera when I need it, for what I need :)

I think once she sees your photos, she'll be keen to go. I'd never actually seen photos of Malta so didn't really know what it looked like, but it looks like an awesome blend of Italy and Spain, so definitely somewhere I'd like to try and visit in the future :)

Awesome :D He reminds me of a boxer who lives down the street from us, who's often 'on duty' at his gate, and always pays attention to 'his regulars' :D

My Mum went to malta and did not find it very clean and was not impressed at all with the hotel, but after seeing you photos i would be quite tempted to visit, loved the photos of the harbour, i would love to be sailing into that!