When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DLC Coated Gen Sub and Bracelet

Guest avitt

Guest avitt

Been doing some DLC coating work for a professional refinishing house, and I just had the opportunity to coat this Sub. It was my first Rolex, and I was really happy with the outcome. :D

No changes were made to the factory finish, so you can see the difference between the brushed lugs, and polished case sides.

img5705c.jpg

img5707w.jpg

img5713i.jpg

img5719x.jpg

img5720l.jpg

"Avitt - DLC Coating the World...One Watch at a Time!"

Guest avitt
why do you tease us :p

i hope you update with awesome finished pics!!!!!!! can't wait avitt :)

Sorry, but I don't even get to see this piece completed. As mentioned, this was a "wholesale" job for a watch refinishing company...Parts in, parts out...

Looks great! About how much is coating an entire watch like that?

I've PM'd you the details...

Guest avitt
Looks great! Finished product assembled with the bracelet would be interesting to see...

...Sorry about that, Ubi. I'm sure that I'll have the opportunity to show another soon!

Wow! That is definitely some pretty slick stuff, T.

It's interesting to note that the case tube was removed. Did you coat the caseback, or leave it ss? Also, what about the bezel, that would also need to be coated?

I noticed that MKII watches also does this DLC coating. I'm assuming it's a step above PVD in terms of durability.

Guest avitt
Hi T,

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Sorry about that...Lots of positive feedback on the DLC :D

I just cleaned out my inbox, and sent you some general info. If you have a more specific question, please let me know.

Guest avitt
I've done a lot of modding with tons of different modders and I have to say out of everything, I'm most pleased with my dlc coated PAM. Avitt's coating is top notch!

Thanks so much, Milesd! :thumbsupsmileyanim: That means a lot to me!

Are you giving your piece much wear? How's the finish holding up?

Guest avitt
Wow! That is definitely some pretty slick stuff, T.

It's interesting to note that the case tube was removed. Did you coat the caseback, or leave it ss? Also, what about the bezel, that would also need to be coated?

I noticed that MKII watches also does this DLC coating. I'm assuming it's a step above PVD in terms of durability.

Thanks M!

It's interesting that the tube wasn't included...I think that it may have been because I told the shop to remove all rubber or plastic parts, and there is a gasket beneath the tube on these models. They probably just left it out. The bezel was done as well, but is just a thin, scalloped ring. The caseback was not done (although I think it would have been better to coat it).

Yeah, I noticed that Bill has a started to offer DLC. He's not using my service, but it's probably just because he hasn't seen what I can do with a Seiko ;)

img5738.jpg

You'll find that most high-end watch manufacturers have abandoned PVD in favor of DLC. The reasons are not limited to the superior hardness and durability, but also include the look and feel of DLC. It's a smooth finish, which can vary from a matte with a slight sheen (over bead-blasted substrates), to a shiny, ceramic-like appearance (over polished metal). The color ranges from pencil-lead gray when matte, to nearly black when polished.

DLC typically applies more evenly, which helps to avoid some of the unevenness found in PVD coatings, particularly in the shadows around the lugs and bezels.

Compare this typical aftermarket PVD finish with my DLC below:

PVD

1708159711.jpg

DLC

img4074uo0.jpg

Thanks so much, Milesd! :thumbsupsmileyanim: That means a lot to me!

Are you giving your piece much wear? How's the finish holding up?

I wear the watch daily, since the DLC can hold up. I work in IT and I got the watch caught on a server rack a few weeks back and it scratched the watch, but then upon closer inspection, I actually scratched the rack!! The scratch rubbed out with my finger! It wasn't actually the watch that scratched, but it was the rack and that's what was on the watch! I was stoked! I think I might actually make a video and post it on here. I reproduced it when I got home (on the back just to be sure) and it did the same thing, it rubbed right off.

I'm actually going to send you a Ted Su dive buckle and CG once I can find a good replacement Pre-A series CG. I was going to get the ceramic Ted Su buckle, but I figure why not just get SS and have you coat it for a perfect match.

Great work :tu:

If you could colour-match the PVD coating of the PAM028, I'm sure a lot of people would prefer this more durable DLC coating as long as it "looks" the same, especially as the only good source we had (Rolli) is not happening for the time being.

Edited by Chronus

Guest avitt
I wear the watch daily, since the DLC can hold up. I work in IT and I got the watch caught on a server rack a few weeks back and it scratched the watch, but then upon closer inspection, I actually scratched the rack!! The scratch rubbed out with my finger! It wasn't actually the watch that scratched, but it was the rack and that's what was on the watch! I was stoked! I think I might actually make a video and post it on here. I reproduced it when I got home (on the back just to be sure) and it did the same thing, it rubbed right off.

I'm actually going to send you a Ted Su dive buckle and CG once I can find a good replacement Pre-A series CG. I was going to get the ceramic Ted Su buckle, but I figure why not just get SS and have you coat it for a perfect match.

That's a fantastic testimonial! I can see how reaching around servers provides a pretty good torture test ;)

Having done this for about a year and a half now, I'm starting to get some pretty good feedback on the real-world durability...

Just let me know when you have those parts ready :good: