When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Broken crown on my Ebel 1911 Discovery!

slask111

Hi all,

Panic mode! This morning i was about to set the time on my Ebel 1911 Discovery. When trying to screw in the crown it would not screw in. I can push the crown all the way in to the end position, but i cant screw it in to place. I think the crown screw threads are gone. But im not sure so i need some input. Any quick fix? Also, if the crown threads are gone, what to do next? Where to source replacement part?

I bought the watch in feb -09 from Josh, even worth asking for a repair from him?

Newbie at this, so sorry if anyone feels the q`s are a bit "newbie" :)

Thnx in advance!

Watch is running fine when crown is at this position. Cant screw it in though.

img1021a.jpg

I can push the crown all the way in. As soon as i remove my finger it pops out again.

img1020e.jpg

Crown is now all the way out to show the threads. Threads looks ok i think?

img1024i.jpg

Yeah it looks like there's something wrong with the threads in the case/tube.

I wouldn't send it all the way to China as this is probably not a big job for a good watchsmith.

Let's hope they're not notoriously bad on this model. I haven't had any problems though.

Yeah it looks like there's something wrong with the threads in the case/tube.

I wouldn't send it all the way to China as this is probably not a big job for a good watchsmith.

Let's hope they're not notoriously bad on this model. I haven't had any problems though.

I had a bad crown on mine too By-Tor. Chris (Eurotimez) sourced a new one for me and it's been smooth sailing since ... knock on wood.

Thnx for the input. Dosent sound good tomhorn. Lets follow this crown issue. I think i will email Josh. Lol if you notice on the pics the 6`dial marker is not set to 12. Now it wont reset back to 12. I think this watch need a vacation in china...

• 11 months later...

Thnx for the input. Dosent sound good tomhorn. Lets follow this crown issue. I think i will email Josh. Lol if you notice on the pics the 6`dial marker is not set to 12. Now it wont reset back to 12. I think this watch need a vacation in china...

If you're in the EU, I think I'd sent it to Bricciola or Domi!

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I want to clarify something.  You cannot see the thread, its inside the crown, which screws into the tube.  Those black o-rings you can see on the tube, are exactly that, gaskets.

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

I am owner of this nice Ebel 911 Discovery Chronograph watch as well, also currently having issues with the main crown - it is broken most likely as rather than setting time/date and winding the watch (sorry for my terminology) the main crown can be pulled out completely and all settings are simply not possible. Since several weeks I'be been feeling the back pressure when winding the watch using the crown, but now it is really broken I am afraid.

May I ask you for advice? Should I speak to an ordinary watchmaker? To send it to Germany to an authorised service place would be an expensibe as hell option I assume. Any experience maybe with this particular issue and the solution? Or with the service (price) in general?

thanks so much for your help

Greets from Bratislava, capital of Slovakia

Lubos