When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Sub Parts in Solid Gold....rare I think

GoFaster

Hi members,

I opened this topic just to know what do you think about my Sub's parts ...

It's full solid gold and bought there is 3 years now... and the parts sleep in a box...

To finish a project like this a rolex movement must be bought,etc....and it's expensive ! :huh:

but it's not the subject... just what do you think about this case !?

post-16723-1247075921_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247075954_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247075990_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076015_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076052_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076087_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076113_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076138_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076158_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076187_thumb.jpg

post-16723-1247076207_thumb.jpg

Just your basis aftermarket rolex style case in gold. There are many companies that make these in gold with non rolex dials in them. They usually use a 2836 ETA or you can also opt for a gen rolex movement too. The guy that sells the solid gold oyster cases on ebay also has these if you ask him.

Excat Indyberetta!

For other members, if you read well the subject of my topic I wrote Sub Case and not Rolex case...

I think it's a generic case but after different test a Rolex movement can be fit inside and I've tested a rep' sub dial and fit perfectly !!!

But the crown and the tube are well genuine

Last year I've made 2 of these watches, but my cases wore more correct for a sub than yours (CG's, lugs caseback etc.).

And I mount on both brand new gen Rolex gold tubes and crowns (Very expensive I can tell you! For one set I spent 250,-€!).

Biggest problem is the rehaut, which is not actually correct, and the dial size was like on CN subs - so no chance for a gen dial... :(

Here is my post: CLICK

It's well solid gold !!!

Difficult to know why there is no marking but it's well solid....

Before I open this Topic I send few pictures to Ubi and he thinks it a nice piece and where a 3135 could find a good place

Not difficult to know at all - there's no marking because as you know well, it's not a genuine Rolex case, which would have the 18K/750 gold hallmark.

As for your aftermarket case being "well solid" :rolleyes:, have you actually acid tested it or are you just relying on weight? The reason hallmarks were introduced in England almost a thousand years ago was to prevent fraud - not to say foreign gold with no marks isn't legit, but with no provenance it's always questionable. And as a replica Rolex case, I'd question supposed 18K a million times more particularly given the ever-strengthening bullion price.

Incidentally, not being funny but what exactly is the point of your post? If it will fit a gen.3135 and gen dial? Why not just ask that openly in the first place? I get the impression you just wanted to see if it would pass for genuine. As you now know, it doesn't nor is it "rare" - another word you used in the title :g:

Good luck with building your franken however. Oh and a tip, as a new member it may help if you're a little more open/frank when posting stuff like this in future. Plenty of people out there with less than altruistic intentions. Just saying.

Omega my case is the excat copy of yours I think... I have with the Yachtmaster bezel in gold and this plastic's part under the bezel...funny.

I will take new pictures to show you this...

Thank you IndyBeretta for this link....I've seen his cases but he doesn't show if they have markings 18k or not....I will contact this ebay's seller.

@docblackrock

thank you for your post. No I don't want pass for a genuine...I'm in the Rep' and genuine Rollie from 2000 and I know well I think the differences between a fake a real one... I want only differents opinions from the members about this case and this is what is happening....so that's good.... and a forum has this function.

With the member Omega, I can see that my case isn't rare because I think he has the excat same case...I would like with him compare them with pictures.... now I can understand your differents questions... I have this case from 3 years and yes we have tested it with two differents jewelers and the result was solid 18k...the weight is between 40-45 grams...but I will verif that precisely.

I want differents opinions because I'm not sure about a project like this because it asks money...

@corgi

not solid from china....from a jewelers like this one on ebay

________

thank you to members for your posts....you help me !

Yes, but the CG's are not correct! They are shaped more like on a Sub, because the YM has a specific shape!

I would rework in your case the lugs from downside and it will get a good base for a Sub, not perfect - still good...but if you have not the knowhow and correct tools for that, it would be better to send the watch to a modder, who knows what he's doing...it would be a shame to ruin the case! ;)

"Is it solid gold or solid gold from China?"

I had a couple solid 18k yellow gold DJ cases and bezels for the cal 3035 and they used all standard rolex parts and were made in Italy. I paid $925 each for them in 2001. An 18k submariner case was $1250 at the time including the bezel.

In 1999, I had a solid 18k daytona replica with oyster bracelet and modified swiss Eta 7750 and it was $2500. The dial was ratty and it had a 6.0mm crown, the case and bracelet were a first class job though.

In 2001, I got a new 18k Italy made prez case with an Eta 2836 for about $1000 but it had an oversize dial and a standard dial will drop through the case. The dial was not very good so it never made it to completion. I still have the new case in my project drawer...it is stamped 18k and weighs 33 grams with a crown and acrylic crystal.

Solid gold China cases might be a gamble. They may be stamped 18k and test 10k. I bought some China tutone jubilee bracelets that were 10k claiming to be 18k.

Last time I priced an Italy 18k submariner case and bezel it was around $2000.

In 2001, I got a new 18k Italy made prez case with an Eta 2836 for about $1000 but it had an oversize dial and a standard dial will drop through the case. The dial was not very good so it never made it to completion. I still have the new case in my project drawer...it is stamped 18k and weighs 33 grams with a crown and acrylic crystal.

Aren't rep dials a little better these days? I know they are still typically about a mm bigger than the gens.

"Aren't rep dials a little better these days? I know they are still typically about a mm bigger than the gens."

Yep, they are bigger and better.

I am going to make an acrylic crystal DJ out of it and a standard DJ dial is 27.9mm outside diameter.

The dial seat in the case is 30.5mm outside and 28.5 inside so a standard dial falls through.

I have a Bulova dial refinished as a rolex California dial but it is about 28.3 and it falls through. I need to make a spacer with a step in it out of another dial to go behind the Bulova dial but never got around to it.

I have an omega cosmic dial and movement that will fit the case just fine and the stem lines up etc but the dial would have to be refinished as rolex and that is not as easy as it used to be. Besides, the omega movement is the type that you push the crown in toward the case to quick set the date and the date might flip when you screw the crown down.

I machined the bark off a prez bark bezel to make a smooth bezel for it and installed a GS domed crystal to make it look like a vintage watch. The california dial suits it so I'll probably use it.

Nothing is easy... :wounded1: