When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

clark crystal fit an MBW case

gavidoc

Picked up a Clark Tropic 19 for my MBW case that I got from Eurotimez (the old style one) and when I tried to fit it, that sucker was a TIGHT fit.

Was able to press it on the case but not nearly as easy as my real subs are. Then when I tried to press the crystal retainer down, it was nearly impossible. By the time I got it on, the crystal had cracked.

So, do the Tropic 19's from Clark fit the MBW 5513 case?

The Zigmeister did that for me and I believe you need to sand down the retaining ring. Otherwise it will not fit and the crystal will crack. Just like it happened to you.

Cheers

Yes, the ring is the key.

I have had the same problem on my 1665 and a tropic 39.

The crystal fit the case, no problem, but you need to sand town the ring that come over the crystal.

Hmmmm... Usually, on an old school MBW 1680 build (5513 signed case) using a gen 127, I've had to widen the retaining ring a bit to fit over the crystal; still with enough tension to require pressing the ring on at the base and to retain water tight resistance, but with enough material removed where I wasn't risking a cracked crystal.

For 5513 builds (same style/generation case) using a gen 19, it's been hit or miss. Sometimes, it would require a bit of trimming... Sometimes, they fit perfect. I haven't tried with the newer style cases though.

For my 9411, the gen 125 fit perfect. No trimming needed and the crystal snapped on nicely- Just enough effort required.

1665's have been the one constant where the ring is usually fit decent; there were however, unique circumstances where the ring was almost too large at the I.D. and didn't provide enough tension :g:

My experience is that it is sometimes inconsistent, especially when you factor in non-gen parts as replacements. No knock on Gary's products; he offers good stuff, but sometimes there's just enough differences in tolerances between an aftermarket part and a rep case to keep one on their toes.