When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken DJ 16233 cal 3135 to 2824 or 2892-A2

TswissT

Franken Dj Project. cal 3135 to 2824 or 2892

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading almost every thread on here and RG regarding an upcoming Franken project.

Already acquired a 16233 TT gen case, crystal, and dial.

About to get a Gen 3135 date wheel and correct 6mm crown for the 16200 case size. (24-603-8 Crown and 24-5320 tube)

It seems that I will need a movement spacer/enlargement ring as the cal 3135 is 28.5 mm in diameter and the ETA 2824 & 2892 are 25.6mm.

I have sent a PM to Stilty without a reply yet. Only sent it about 15 minutes ago... :)

I read somewhere that you can use the ETA 2834-2 enlargement ring and file it down a bit. These are available from Jules Borel. It seems that this will fit the ETA movement precisely, but will enlarge the movement to about 29mm. Only a little filing necessary.

Now to the questions:

1. 2824 or 2892-A2 ?

2. Any info about whether or not the Gen date wheel is a simple overlay with the proper enlargement ring?

3. I read that the cannon pinion and 4th wheel should be replaced.

Here are the CP options: 2.2, 2.45, 2.7, 2.95, 3.2

Here are the 4th wheel options: 4.8, 5.05, 5.3, 5.5, 5.8, 6.05

Which ones?

4. Hands. The hand size on the eta mvmnts are 90/105/25

What sizes are the gen hands?

I know this is a lot of information and some pretty in depth questions, so if some experts could please chime in I would appreciate it.

Any Franken experts willing to take on a project can also PM me.

I am starting to think that this is going a little over my head.

1) With a Stilty ring, you can use either 2824 or 2892- His ring will position the movement to the right height so that the stem lines up center.

2) Gen datewheel can be fitted to the ETA datewheel, but you will likely have to file down the ETA wheel to provide enough clearance for the thicker gen DW.

3) Hour and minute pinions will need to be replaced with the taller ones to facilitate clearance over the indicies.

4) I forget what size the gen 3135 hands are, but they are definitely not a direct fit; they all need to be reduced if I recall correct (I'll have to dig up the sizes to provide approximate measurements). Stilty will have this info as well. My advice is to just use gen Tudor hands since they are ETA based as well.

An additional point- Since you have a modern sapphire crystal case for a 3135, you will need the 6mm crown that mates to the smaller tube originally for the 5.3mm crown. Older cases had a tube specifically for the 6mm crown.

184_8462.jpg

I have used the Borel spacer ring on a couple of DJs', and yes, they do need filing down on the OD to fit the case. Both my projects used the older plastic crystal case (16014) and I did not have any real issues with the stem/case tube alignment. If you can get one from Stilty, I would think that would be a better way to go since it is made to fit the movement and case, and his are made from metal, giving your finished project a little more weight. The Borel rings are made from nylon and are lightweight. Yes, you will need to replace the hour wheel et.al. to avoid the hands from striking the hour markers, unless you get one of those cool looking "mystery" black onyx dails that have no hour markers at all :) . Good luck with the project.

Cheers B)

If you have the movement ring and some experience building watches, it's really not too bad :) Changing the hour and minute gears are also not terribly difficult, but it does require getting into the movement from the dial side a bit.

The upside is how affordable this project is. Using a similar approach, I built a 14270 for $600-ish using a gen 16200 case, gen 14270 dial, rep Sub hands, ETA 2824, etc.

IMG_3152.jpg

Your right. I am expecting a total cost of approximately 600 to 650.00, and the end result will be great. Out of the 16 reps in the arsenal right now (10 of which are pams) I have always wanted to build a super rep DJ...

Not sure why, they look tiny on my wrist. I am used to 44 and 47mm watches...

I have just always loved the look of a TT DJ on a leather or croc strap... Seems a little old fashion, but (for what its worth) this was my inspiration.

A9_2159.jpg

I know this is an older model than mine, but I must make due with what is/was available. :)

Hi, I sent a reply via my iphone to your PM, but I was in the wilds of British Columbia and had very sketchy service so I don't know if it went through.

Anyway, I have movement holders for your project. If you want to use a genuine date disc, best bet is to go with a 2892-A2 movement.

PM me again and I can help you out with pretty much whatever you need.

Cheers.