When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for sources for consumables (Rodico, oil, screws etc.)

Drulee

Most of us know about Ofrei, CousinsUK and eBay, but there must be others with good deals. So, if you feel like sharing your secrets, let us know. I'm curious as to what people are using as sources for their Rodico, watch oil, screws, etc.

I'm especially interested in sources for Canadian members. I've had to order stems from the Netherlands, screws for a 6497 movement from the U.K. and Rodico from Egypt. There must be a reasonably priced alternative in North America.

In Canada, worth a look.

http://www.somalcanada.com/

There are many other parts/tools suppliers, Cas Ker, Widget Supply, Livesays, Sheely, Shor, et etc.

Google watch tools, or watch parts...you will find hours of reading.

@Tee Jay,

Blu Tac has more oils in it, and can leave stains on dials.

I have used a product which is a tape for fixing down vacuum bag in fibreglassing ( yellow in colour) as a Rodico replacement.

Offshore

In Canada, worth a look.

http://www.somalcanada.com/

There are many other parts/tools suppliers, Cas Ker, Widget Supply, Livesays, Sheely, Shor, et etc.

Google watch tools, or watch parts...you will find hours of reading.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. As for "googling", you just stated the problem yourself :) I already spend too much time on these forums :D I really don't want spend even more time doing searches that I'm sure current members have done thousands of times before. Just trying to tap into that existing knowledge base :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. As for "googling", you just stated the problem yourself :) I already spend too much time on these forums :D I really don't want spend even more time doing searches that I'm sure current members have done thousands of times before. Just trying to tap into that existing knowledge base :rolleyes:

Hmmm,

Well I just searched here. "Parts Canada" and came up with this.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...hl=parts+canada

Yes...there is a mountain of info here...you just have to find it....sort of like googling really.

Offshore

Is it the shipping costs to Canada that make it an issue, or customs?

Neither, it would just be nice to have a one stop online dealer for all my purchases, that would get them delivered in a day or two, instead of a week or two; and that doesn't have a minimum $20 charge for delivery, when you're only getting a $0.50 screw or $2 stem - I mean, come on, they would still make a good profit on the shipping and handling charge if they charged a couple dollars over regular postage (which is probably less than a dollar).

Hmmm,

Well I just searched here. "Parts Canada" and came up with this.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...hl=parts+canada

Yes...there is a mountain of info here...you just have to find it....sort of like googling really.

Offshore

I've got to get into the habit of using this board's search feature :) I'm so used to RG's search system, which is absolutely terrible, that I keep forgetting that the one here is really very useful and has some good features. Thanks for the link and reminder :rolleyes:

@Tee Jay,

Blu Tac has more oils in it, and can leave stains on dials.

I have used a product which is a tape for fixing down vacuum bag in fibreglassing ( yellow in colour) as a Rodico replacement.

Offshore

Thanks for the clarification, I was just asking out of curiosity rather than necessity :) There's also a White Tac available... would this also have more oils than Rodico? At least this explains why the posters I put up with Blu Tac years ago wound up with oil stains at the corners :)

Never even seen white Tac :huh:

But you would guess the oils would still be there.

The yellow tape I have used is P/N AT200Y, and sells for about $7.00 for 25m!

So you get a lifetime supply for you and your mates in 1 roll!

I do still think Rodico is a better product, and it really is not dear, so better to use a purpose made product IMHO.

I had just happened to have some vac bag tape at work and tried a metre.

Offshore