When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats The Secret Glue...

poopypants

hey guys...

exactly as the title says...

i bought an aftermarket insert for rollie... requires a little glue...

should have bought a genuine snap-in style, but wanted to try the whole aging of the insert...

anyway, i have searched and found such answers as G-S Cement... Gorilla Snot... an other various adhesives...

what will hold it in there?

thanks again guys!

PP

i have experimented with several types of glue... contact cement, super glue, super glue-gel, gorilla glue, barg cement, etc.

best results come from 2 part clear epoxy. it comes in a small plunger (2 tubes), which allows you to squeeze out a little and mix. 5minutes to hardening.

reason i like it, is it gives you a little more time to position the insert than superglue and also has a little bit of flex, which will survive the impact of being hit (superglue tends to crack when hit).

thanks everyone...

someone I had PM'd, told me about the G-S Hypo Cement and i immediately ordered some through ebay for $5... so i will give it a go! just wanted to see if you guys had any other options... you guys rock!

PP

I use clear Silicone II (by GE yep.. general electric) "window and door":

indoor and outdoor

mold & mildew resistant

wont shrink or crack

permanently flexible

It's cheap to boot and easy to remove (unlike epoxy). It also helps waterproof watches.

Got mine at Wal-Mart by the paint section for under $4.

Cheers.

Alex

I have used Gorilla Glue and it holds up awesome. Like someone already mentioned, it does expand. The trick is to use a very thin layer of it. What I do is put some on a piece of cardboard, then take a pin and dip it into the glue on the cardboard. Then I make about 12 little dots of glue on the bezel groove where the insert sits. It does not look like alot of glue when you are done, but don't worry,its plenty to hold. And the best part is that it does not set up for about 15 minutes, so you have plenty of time to make adjustments.

Jim

I have used Gorilla Glue and it holds up awesome. Like someone already mentioned, it does expand. The trick is to use a very thin layer of it. What I do is put some on a piece of cardboard, then take a pin and dip it into the glue on the cardboard. Then I make about 12 little dots of glue on the bezel groove where the insert sits. It does not look like alot of glue when you are done, but don't worry,its plenty to hold. And the best part is that it does not set up for about 15 minutes, so you have plenty of time to make adjustments.

Jim

Gotta go with Elmer's glue (like in kindergarten). It will hold for at least 5 minutes...