When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My collection of vintage subs

gavidoc

I've a soft spot for submariners ie: I own no other type of watch. Here's a shot of the 5 that I currently own. Two are gens. The others not. Two are reps and one is a fantasy.

I'm also in the process of finishing up another snowflake using all gen parts but an MBW case. Might have a line on a gen case too.

Hope you enjoy.

IMG_0470.jpg

That's a fantastic collection, I think vintage subs really have an appeal all of their own :) I remember reading about a collector who was restoring a 1680, but considering selling it, as they weren't really a 'vintage guy' (I think their pleasure came from the restoration itself, rather than owning the end result) Am I right in thinking that the watch in the middle is the fantasy model? I can understand why some folks don't like buying fantasy models, but when it's self built, I think they deserve a seperate catagory of 'customized', rather than just 'franken' or 'fantasy', simply bcause it meets the builder's personal specs and requirements :) Thanks for sharing :good:

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Tee jay

You are correct that that is the fantasy and it isn't a put together either. I got it on my last trip to china at the lo hu copy mall. It came with the rivet bracelet the other no crown guard sub has on it. Total price for that beauty was $35 after negotiating. So which 2 are the gens?

That's a fantastic collection, I think vintage subs really have an appeal all of their own :) I remember reading about a collector who was restoring a 1680, but considering selling it, as they weren't really a 'vintage guy' (I think their pleasure came from the restoration itself, rather than owning the end result) Am I right in thinking that the watch in the middle is the fantasy model? I can understand why some folks don't like buying fantasy models, but when it's self built, I think they deserve a seperate catagory of 'customized', rather than just 'franken' or 'fantasy', simply bcause it meets the builder's personal specs and requirements :) Thanks for sharing :good:

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Tee jay

You are correct that that is the fantasy and it isn't a put together either. I got it on my last trip to china at the lo hu copy mall. It came with the rivet bracelet the other no crown guard sub has on it. Total price for that beauty was $35 after negotiating. So which 2 are the gens?

That's a good price :) I'd say the two on the left are the gens (but I'm probably wrong :lol: )

Ditto & nice collection.

Correct to Freddy333 and Mardo. Top ones are the gens. The lower left still isn't done. I wanted to have that worn dial look with it so put a clear coat on the dial from a distance to give it the white haze. Gonna bake it in the oven next to try and turn it brown. Will see how it works. That watch is more an experimental for fitting of parts before I do the Snowflake.