When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wind or not to Wind; that is the question

Packard

I am a member of a sartorial forum (men's fashion) and the subject of watches came up. I reminded a member that it was generally not a good idea to manually wind an automatic watch and here is a reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packard

Keep in mind that the "automatics" (self-winding) models are considered much more desirable and will retain their value much better--but you have to wear them in order to keep them wound. Hand winding is not recommended for automatics.

-- Not true. All modern automatic movements have a mainspring "clutch" which slips when the mainspring is fully wound.

AD

Was I right or wrong with this advice?

I am a member of a sartorial forum (men's fashion) and the subject of watches came up. I reminded a member that it was generally not a good idea to manually wind an automatic watch and here is a reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packard

Keep in mind that the "automatics" (self-winding) models are considered much more desirable and will retain their value much better--but you have to wear them in order to keep them wound. Hand winding is not recommended for automatics.

-- Not true. All modern automatic movements have a mainspring "clutch" which slips when the mainspring is fully wound.

AD

Was I right or wrong with this advice?

What KBH said - and really, what you said too - generally not a good idea - not necessary and depending on movement can be VERY bad idea - A7750, hand winding is a big no-no.

Manual wnding may damage the clutch and click levers over time and if not careful.

So, while it's possible, it may not necessarily be a good idea to do on a daily basis; especially when an auto wind rotor will do the job anyways.

BTW, if you've ever handled a Seiko automatic, there is no option to manually wind... They just remove that option altogether...

:g:

Having over a dozen watches, I simply hack the movement when I am not wearing a watch. When I want to wear a particular watch I just set the date and time and I'm ready to go. I used to wind each watch every night, and that was a very tough habit to break, but after seeing Zigs post I made the effort to change my ways.

"Hack" means to pull out crown so that watch ceases movement--this way, one could preserve their power reserve overnight. However, this only works on a "hack" movement, obviously... A little shake is all that it take for my automatics to get rolling. And sometimes they get left unused for a long period of time. Mostly, they're either Swiss ETA or ETA Clone movements, however. Not sure about the cheapo 21J's...

"Hack" means to pull out crown so that watch ceases movement--this way, one could preserve their power reserve overnight. However, this only works on a "hack" movement, obviously... A little shake is all that it take for my automatics to get rolling. And sometimes they get left unused for a long period of time. Mostly, they're either Swiss ETA or ETA Clone movements, however. Not sure about the cheapo 21J's...

Is there any down-side to hacking the movement in terms of accuracy or durablity of the movement? I would not have thought of this and it sounds like a good answer for my watches too if there is no peril to the watches.

Edited by Packard

Thanks!

Personally, I just let my watches wind down and let the mainspring and hack lever relax (i.e. no unnecessary tension on these parts). Since the hack lever comes in contact with the rim of the balance to stop movement, I'm not certain if there is any detrimental effect to keeping a movement in the hacked position for the long term.

Personally, I just let my watches wind down and let the mainspring and hack lever relax (i.e. no unnecessary tension on these parts). Since the hack lever comes in contact with the rim of the balance to stop movement, I'm not certain if there is any detrimental effect to keeping a movement in the hacked position for the long term.

I have to admit, I'd often wondered just how the hack function functioned, and now I know :)

Why do you even handwind an automatic?? I just give it a quick swirl and its good to go.. Handwinding seems counterproductive to me in that aspect :D.

I don't think hacking movements with fully wound mainspring is a great idea, the stress coming from the mainspring constantly cant be good ;).