When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom DLC coated Blacksteel

Mickey Padge

despite the numbers, the cost makes sense to me

all i gotta do is find my fave rep in a beat-up condition now :)

Yes indeed, why use a new pristine watch, when you can breath new life into a beat up old one? As long as the crystal and dial are in good shape, the watch will come back better than new! B)

Yes, it is PVD on the V2. Even the twin's advertise it is PVD coating, "similar" to that used on the gen. If it were real DLC, don't you think they would be using it as a selling point? Plus I have owned the V2, it picked up scratches really easily, not like avitt's DLC ;)

Cheers! B)

The Twins use of terminology is far from accurate. They do in fact state that it is the same blackening process as used on the gen...

From Josh's site

SS Case, Blacken Surface Treatment to same shade and tone as Genuine....Antidust and Finger Print, Same Process as Genuine.

From all I have heard the durability of the V2 is quite good. But, the thickness of the coating is likely only a few microns, so no matter what its coated with, if you hit it hard enough to disturb the surface more than that coated amount, it will scratch. A coating will not make a watch "harder". DLC, from what I understand changes the color of the surface of the steel rather than coating it, so it is more durable than PVD, but no more durable than stainless steel. It will scratch if you hit it hard enough.

Guest avitt
....so no matter what its coated with, if you hit it hard enough to disturb the surface more than that coated amount, it will scratch. A coating will not make a watch "harder". DLC, from what I understand changes the color of the surface of the steel rather than coating it, so it is more durable than PVD, but no more durable than stainless steel. It will scratch if you hit it hard enough.

Not exactly correct...

DLC is a coating, similar to "PVD" coatings. It does not change the surface of the steel, but rather bonds to it.

It is, in fact, much harder than the stainless below...Approximately 5X as hard (about 800HV for steel, vs. about 4000 for DLC).

DLC offers several benefit over PVD coatings:

1. It's harder
  2. It's more slippery (lower coefficient of friction)
  3. It forms a better bond with the substrate

Here are a couple of charts, which compare the qualities of DLC with other common PVD coatings:

HV.gif

CF.gif

These characteristics provide several benefits when used on watches: Glancing blows which may dig into normal PVD, are likely to just slide over the surface of DLC. Also, because the surface bond is greater, DLC won't peel off, and is much more difficult to scratch off. (It is possible to dent the underlying stainless without removing the DLC coating.)

In general, it's just more difficult to damage.

But don't take my word for it...Feel free to take a poll of my customers, to see how the coating is holding up for them in the real world :D

In general, it's just more difficult to damage.

But don't take my word for it...Feel free to take a poll of my customers, to see how the coating is holding up for them in the real world :D

I'll take your word for it mate. Thanks for the interesting read as well, a lot of good info there.

Thanks, it did come out well :)

I am pretty sure this is the only re-coated Skyland, so it could have gone either way. However I think avitt's preparation and attention to detail was 100% the key to the success! B)

As they say Mickey...Preparation is coating processes

I think is everything. One thing that Avitt is a perfectionist

and his work is AAA+ from what I have seen!

Thanks Avitt...;)

MM

The custom DLC coating is excellent, as is avitt's work ethic ;)

The coating on the V2 looks close to the gen, but scratches as easily as any of my other PVD watches, the buckle in particular picked up marks with the greatest of ease.....

The custom DLC blacksteel has yet to pick up any marks at all, even when I have worn it at work! B)

You really trust the Twins with the description of the products they sell? Classic! :p

This from trustytime and the V2 watch description:

"CASE MATERIAL: Blackened Surface Treatment to same shade and tone as genuine (Anti Dust & Finger Print) - Process similar to genuine. Solid Stainless Steel 316L"

Cheers! :)

That looks great!!! I agree with Andrew though...given the V2 already has the DLC coat...at least I thought that was what was written in the threads with Lani and I think Docblackrock??.

Is it worth the extra cost to do this upgrade?? I can totally see it worth it on a watch that doesn't already have a PVD version or where one is not offered...that makes absolute sense. It's just that the BS was already dialed in on that front.

The V2 is not true DLC, it has none of the hardness properties of avitt's DLC :)

I have been wearing this watch all week, at work at home, only taking it off to sleep of course, and it is spotless, not a mark on it anywhere......

The V2 I owned was marked up after a couple of days wear, with little scratches and hairlines on the case and buckle ;)