When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom DLC coated Blacksteel

Mickey Padge

I received my Blacksteel back from avitt a few weeks ago, and have finally had it all put back together! B)

The case was bead blasted, and then coated with avitt's DLC treatment. The result is one sweet looking Breitling, so much better than before, as it was a V1 with horrible black PVD.....

Here are some pictures! Click to expand....

dsc02694z.th.jpgdsc02695i.th.jpgdsc02696t.th.jpgdsc02697q.th.jpg

dsc02698u.th.jpgdsc02699v.th.jpgdsc02700q.th.jpgdsc02701m.th.jpg

dsc02702.th.jpgdsc02703n.th.jpgdsc02704z.th.jpgdsc02705i.th.jpg

dsc02706bsf.th.jpgdsc02707o.th.jpg

dsc02699h.jpg

What do you guys think? I really like the finish and colour of the watch, it resists scratching well too! :D

Thanks very much avitt, anyone wanting to get their watches coated, do not hesitate to contact avitt, he is a true gent, and works to the highest standards!

Comments and observations welcome! B)

Looks great. Wayyy better than the V1 finish.

On a side not where did you get that strap?

Yep the original V1 finish was really bad, I was even going to just bead blast everything at one stage to get rid of it, but thought why not go the final distance and get the DLC coating too, a good decision in my book :)

The strap was only $30 from here: http://www.thewatchboys.com/breitling-styl...titch-p-80.html

It is 22/18mm not 22/20, so the buckle has a mm gap on each side, as the strap is a little too thin, but it does not bother me.....

Guest avitt

The finished product looks fantastic, Mickey! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Many thanks for your patience throughout this project!

...What MP doesn't say is that the watch was with me for months...

As mentioned, he originally sent it to me for PVD removal and bead blasting only. I though that I could get it done without complete disassembly, by masking off the crystal (blasting any part of the crystal would leave a "frosted glass" affect). But that proved difficult to do, so the bezel had to be removed...And that's when the adventure started...

I started with a Bergeon case knife...no dice! Then I bought a Bergeon 6820 bezel remover, like this:

6820.jpg

...That didn't even fit around the big Breitling bezel (but it'll come in handy for Rolex jobs in the future).

Next, I invested in one of these:

590665.jpg

That one did the trick! I was finally able to crank off the bezel, and remove the crystal.

A long process, but I'm now better equipped as a result ;)

Well avitt I really hope you have other uses for those bezel tools, I certainly wouldn't want you to be out of pocket! :D

Although, as you say, you have probably used the tools for other watches, I remember your thread with dozens of DLC coated watches and parts on a desk! :lol:

Cheers! B)

Guest avitt
Would have been nice to take it a step further and have a bracelet coated to match! That would be a nice option when you want something different from a strap :)

That's always an option. Rep Pro 2 bracelets come polished, and ready for blasting. I've coated a few of them now, and they come out very nice...

Thanks, it did come out well :)

I am pretty sure this is the only re-coated Skyland, so it could have gone either way. However I think avitt's preparation and attention to detail was 100% the key to the success! B)

T's attention to detail is first rate. I would strongly recommend that if anyone is considering a DLC bath to take the plunge. And as others have said before my, avitt is an absolute pleasure to work with.

Nice result but why put $300 in to coating when a v2 can be had for less than that?

Great craftmanship though!

The V2 was not $300 (I think it is actually $350+shipping, no?) when this coating process was initially started ;)

I had a beat up crappy PVD'ed V1 to hand, that I would never wear or be able to sell, and I had a good dial, so why not? Plus the V2 does not use a real DLC coating, but normal PVD :D

The V2 was not $300 (I think it is actually $350+shipping, no?) when this coating process was initially started ;)

I had a beat up crappy PVD'ed V1 to hand, that I would never wear or be able to sell, and I had a good dial, so why not? Plus the V2 does not use a real DLC coating, but normal PVD :D

V2 is not real DLC? That's news to me.

Yes, it is PVD on the V2. Even the twin's advertise it is PVD coating, "similar" to that used on the gen. If it were real DLC, don't you think they would be using it as a selling point? Plus I have owned the V2, it picked up scratches really easily, not like avitt's DLC ;)

Cheers! B)