When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big scare with my GMT II Ceramic Swiss CHS........

Justasgood

So,

I am not a "Bling" kinda guy so when my Swiss GMT II Ceramic with CHS showed up.......I loved it then quickly cooled to it.

DSCN3131.jpg

DSCN3127.jpg

I mean....sure, it's got a great wrist presence.....but something didn't seem right. The polished center links.....

Enter, the mad modder......After 20 minutes with my secret tools....viola! no more bling

DSCN3132.jpg

I must say, to me it made a world of difference. I loved the New/Classic look......then,

my world came crashing down.........or to be specific, the watch jumped out of my hands as if to protest it's new look.......a 5' drop that seemed to last for an eternity as my feeble attempts to catch it mid air failed.....down down down down down to my ceramic floor.....the most gut wrenching sound met my ears.....and then......silence, save for my pounding heart and the droplets of sweat falling from my brow.

Did that just happen......did I really just drop my newly acquired freshly modded GMT? It did. Thinking that if I don't pick it up and look at it......it won't have suffered......kinda like cutting yourself and when you look, it is a fresh cut ....no blood....and then a torrent of life juice begins to flow.

I stood there......scared, angry......and then, I pick it up........I was certain the crytal had shattered.....but no......much worse.

Oh, hang on......

sorry, where was I.........oh yeah, so I am relieved to see the watch in one piece.......then I notice it.......the time of death....the hands are now as quiet as the room.........no beat......dead!

Now I am really [censored]. Angry at myself for dropping it.....angry at the watch for stopping and angry at the floor for not opening up and swallowing me. Thoughts now race........talk of problems with the CHS watches play over and over in my head. Was I a fool for having plopped down my $$ for a watch that had no chance......certainly it needed no help from me.

Now what........I unscrew the crown and I am certain that the gearing......so fragile when new.....has to be screwed up......I pull out the crown and to my surprise, shoot, be right back......

sorry, so. I turn the crown and the hands track as they should. Sudden relief washes over me. Perphaps the fall knocked the hands and they were impeding the sweep of the seconds hand......but no. Still, no heartbeat to be found. I shake it (CPR for a watch)..........wait..........listen...........nothing. Anger once again coarses through me.

Think man think...........the gearing seems o.k.......big win there.......the hands aren't jammed.......good........perhaps the impact broke the balance staff......I've got spare movements........that's it.....a heart transplant........dammit......hold on a sec'

so....anyway, a heart transplant is prepared. Movement located, prepped and ready to take....or Give one for the team.

So, wiping the sweat from my brow, I locate my tools.......Caseback opener....Check, High end swiss screwdriver set.....Check. Gloves....check, Vodka........that's right Vodka......Check.

First, i inspect the case for damage.......and there it is........the scar from the impact right on the 7 o'clock lug:

DSCN3138.jpg

Another view:

DSCN3135.jpg

Oh man, this looks serious.....now I am glad I didn't win the raffle for the 1675.....of course, I didn't enter, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I open the caseback........slowly at first then more quickly......my heart begins to race....what will I find......a mangled spring, perhaps a broken case clamp has lodged in the balance.........nothing appears to be out of place.....a moment of reflection now as I think back and replay the whole nauseating event over and over and over again.......I use to have very quick hands, how did I miss it as it fell to it's demise.......hell, how did I drop it to begin with.........why couldn't I leave well enough alone........a tear forms in the corner of my eye......then another.........this watch deserved much better than me......sniff!

Get control of yourself....I think as I slap myself silly......whack! O.k., I deserved that.......then.....

did I mention I dropped my GMT?

So now I am prepared for the surgery, Vodka, gloves, donor and screwdrivers..........then a silly thought enters my mind......you know how when as a kid, you would come across a seemingly dead critter and poke at it....as if that would re-animate it....you know....bring it back to life....well..........with surgical precision, my gloves, Vodka steadied hands and my high end Swiss screwdriver...........I foolishly give the balance a nudge........right, like. by some miracle it gonna start right up......ticking away as if nothing ever happened....pff, I wish.........but wait. what's this........it worked! Am I seeing things? Is this a dream? How much Vodka did I actually drink? I quickly turn the watch over and I see it......

I swear, If I have to come in there again.........

Duct tape.......gotta love it.....Anyway, As I turn over the watch I see it.......the most wonderful sight you could imagine........the sweet hypnotic sweep of a Swiss heartbeat right there for all to see. Graceful, perfect.

I quick grab my timing machine (Atomic clock), set the time, and wait...............1 full day later and to my amazement.......the watch has gained 3 secs since yesterday morning.

So I ask you............was I lucky? Has this much maligned movement redeemed itself? Would you shed a tear as I?

I know one thing, this has to be the longest explanation of: " I dropped my watch and it still works"

Thanks for indulging me....I guess I'll keep it awhile.....it deserves at least that much.

Enjoy your weekend,

Kurt.

The amazing thing is that I actually hung around to read the entire story.

Glad to hear your baby's chs movement did not suffer any permanent damage. That would be tragic.

Indeed.....Tragic.

Thanks for hanging in there with my prose.....

Glad to hear a ding to the case was the worst damage :) Big improvement to brush the mid-links :good:

TJ,

I agree. Brushed just looks right.

I'm sure that ding will buff right out. :)

You spawny git!

Perhaps.

I'll get on it after I figure out what a "spawny git" is :D

Good Story :) Too bad I dont get the watch though :p

Who said you don't get the watch.......$$ talks ;)

Thank goodness everything's in check! An impact like that... Well... Let me just say, Mrs. Ubi's ceramic watch didn't come out quite as well after she managed to inflict some damage of her own...

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

ooof, what caused that?

Tough chick man....

TJ,

I agree. Brushed just looks right.

When I tried on the gen a few months back, although I obviously had no intent (or means :lol: ) of buying it, it was the polished mid-links which spoiled it as a watch for me, as I felt the bracelet (though exquisitely made) took too much attention away from the watch head itself. (I felt the same thing about the Yacht-Master) I guess I'm just not a bling kind of guy (although I've always worn jewellery of sorts, be it a signet ring, a chain or set of d-tags, and a watch, but never anything blingy) I think brushing the mid-links has definitely improved the appearance of the watch, as it takes it out of the 'wrist jewellery' catagory, and into the catagory of 'really well finished, but still functional, wrist watch :):good: Now, if only the clasp had a diver's extension, I'd be happy ;)

Great story, Glad that it had a happy ending.

I have dropped a watch twice. Once I actually caught it on my foot. The other time not so lucky.

Slow motion and sickening is the only way to describe it.

oh god I know that feeling, "sickening" is the perfect description lol! Like you are about to puke.