When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Me! Going insane

bluejelly

OK, so this is my first post even though I have been registered for weeks.

The problem is there is sooooo much information to read on here. I decided what watch I wanted ages ago - Breitling Chrono Avenger. Then i found out the one I could afford came with an asia 7750 movement. So much is written about this movement and i've come to the conclusion that if you are able to get it serviced asap and take special care in how you operate it it may last a good ammount of time but possibly wont. Also it seems tricky to find somebody to service it.

As much as I love the Chrono Avenger (and Brietling chronographs in general), for slightly more money I can get a SuperOcean SteelFish with a swiss ETA 2836-2 movement. I dont know much about this movement - can anyone else give me some inormation if they do. Its still a watch i really like and on the plus side a very accurate rep.

Anyways the reason I'm going mad, apart from the ridiculuous time I'm spending here, is that I cant choose between a watch with A7750 or something with a swiss Eta (not chronograph)

Can someone choose for me please - I'm sure i'll get both eventually but need to take my first steps slowly.

Cheers

I have a number of watches with A7750 movements all are at least 1 year old (some 3 to 4yo), all work as good as the day they were purchased...and a dirty little secret....only two have been serviced.

You need to remember that the issues posted on this forum reflect a very small portion of the rep buyers from our member base, the vast majority never posts, unless they have issues.

That said yes you should get your watches serviced if you want them to last and if you ask around town you will always find a watchsmith that will do the work.

Ken

Bluejelly

I feel your pain mate, when you first arrive its really intense and information overload.

Take a deep breath and try to enjoy yourself abit. Its supposed to be fun and part of that fun is a little bit of stress.

I've had a few 7750 never had them serviced and they've been fine. Of course it would be best to look after them but that's not always possible, cost and finding a rep friendly watchsmith.

the big thing to remember is not to change the date with the hands between say 10 and 2. The reason being that is the sort of time the Date / Day would change on it own and moveing it then could I guess stuff up the gears/ wheels.

Buy the one you want, wear it and then next month by the other one. Just remember they are Reps and 10th of the cost of a gen.

Hope this helps and we look forward to seeing your first choice

ST4

...I cant choose between a watch with A7750 or something with a swiss Eta (not chronograph)...

Also keep in mind that the Swiss ETAs that find their way into rep watches are oft times old surpluss. There's no real way to determine where the movement came from, how long since it's been serviced (if at all), or what it's history is. Chances are, a Swiss ETA rep may require service sooner than later as well. There's just no way to guarantee...

I think personally I'd recommend getting the SOSF, purely based on the fact it sounds like you are purchasing your first rep of this quality level. I can't imagine a better way to begin than buying one of the famed reps for being high quality. It'd be a good kick start to the hobby as long as you realise that they won't all be "that good" :D

I know how you feel, It really Is overwhelming at first. The kid In the candy store really applys here. I have now five 7750s. They all run well. I also agree that If you have a watch that you really like and plan on keeping for a while, have It serviced. It really Is a small price to pay when you consider what the Gen counter part cost. About a month ago I finally started looking for a watch smith/ repair person,etc. I picked up the yellow pages and started calling these small repair shops. This place In the mall said they worked on all kinds of watches. I called the guy and asked If he had a problem working on Reps. He said no and that he had two Rolex reps himself. See everyone loves reps, well almost everyone. Im taking my Pam 250 there tomorrow. Dont forget that you also have Zig and Vac If need be. Just stay out of the AD's. Most ADs well not share In your enthusiasm for reps. Good luck :) Mike

All good advice above especialy about not changeing dates between 10 and 2, very important that. Also, hand wind a 7750 as little as possible or not at all. If it is stopped, start it with a few gentle shakes and wear it, it'll wind. The above actualy applies to the gen 7750 as much as the rep BTW.

Col.