When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

i need help with picking up jeans

arminvanbuuren

hey guys.. i've never really known fashion very much, and ive been known to have the shittest fashion sense in the world.. ive been told by many people that "I should dress up nicer" and so on and so on.. but it wasnt until recently that i actually realised that if anything i should start dressing up nicely.. the reason is partly because i used to be a very fat person (my height is 170 cm and i was weighing around 107kgs).. so i didnt really care about how i dressed, i would look like a grease ball no matter wat.. however i started taking up muaythai and brazilian jiujitsu about 5-6 years ago.. and after training 4-5 hrs a day, 6 days a week for about the mentioned amount of year.. i managed to cut down my weight to 64kgs..

but then again eventhough my physique is good now.. i come to realise that all the shirts that i wear are becoming too baggy and i looked like a scrawny person... but lately i've been reading magazines and it comes to that part of my life (at 21) that i thought its time to dress nice and start getting the ladies to notice me more :p

but anyway.. i own a rep burberry jeans that i bought in indonesia a couple of years ago during holiday there.. eventhough it fits my size.. alot of girls and even friends says that its an ugly jeans and i need to get quality jeans.. i mean i thought burberry is meant to be quality.. but i guess not.. when asked my sister she told me that my jeans is too plain and doesn't fit properly (it's actually too baggy).. so now i think it's time to buy new jeans.. but i'm not sure what makes a good quality jeans vs poor quality and what makes good fit vs not good fit.. so i need your opinion guys.. i've searched for a couple of pics of jeans.. would you be able to recommend me which one of these would look good if i wear it with a shirt like below and also i've bought some paul smith shirt too that i would like to wear with the jeans.. thanks for the recommendation

the shirt:

ngpus3.jpg

and which of these jeans suit the above shirt and some paul smith dress shirt?

288ow3.jpg

2iqk8ea.jpg

2d7c6tu.jpg

2lkbdyo.jpg

10za7g9.jpg

5v698x.jpg

2zebgnk.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of fit, what are you looking to achieve? Loose/relaxed fit? Tailored/fitted look? Straight leg, boot leg or tapered leg?

There is a lot of stuff out there, and each brand fits different. I think you should probably find a brand and cut that you like first and then things like washes, denim weight (which is usually dependant on wash) etc. will follow course. But don't limit your search to just one brand...

In terms of fit, what are you looking to achieve? Loose/relaxed fit? Tailored/fitted look? Straight leg, boot leg or tapered leg?

There is a lot of stuff out there, and each brand fits different. I think you should probably find a brand and cut that you like first and then things like washes, denim weight (which is usually dependant on wash) etc. will follow course. But don't limit your search to just one brand...

in terms of brand i dont really understand brands in clothing other than paul smith :p.. only because i hear about it all the time on this board.. and in terms of armani jeans i hear it in rap and hip hop songs all the time.. but other than that i don't know which brands i like so i cant really pick.. but im 21 yrs old and i just want to have the classy look when i'm out in town but without being too "tryhard" (which means i wear a suit or trenchcoat while others dont), but in a way i also want to look classier than most people (who just wears short sleeved tshirt and jeans and sneakers).. but like i said i have no fashion sense whatsoever so in a way i need a fashion guru.. and as rwg is a "classy" board, it fits the way that i want to be styled :)

as for the fit.. ive always worn baggy jeans.. but girls would always come up to me and tell me that it looks like im wearing a skirt with those baggy jeans LOL.. so im guessing i want tailored/fitted look.. as for the bootleg thing.. i know what tapered leg means but what does boot leg mean?

So I think bootleg means boot cut.

This Jeans are straight on the leg and wider at the end.

Looks good when you have big feets ;)

There are a lot of variations on this some low waist some normal

waist.

I wear them all the time because I don't like this straight or slim fit

[censored] ;)

I agree- I don't care for straight leg, or worse, tapered leg (where the leg gets narrow from the knee to the ankle). My boot cuts are usually 9.5" at the leg opening; I like my hems to just barely scrape the ground in back when standing straight, so I usually have them hemmed to 30" exact. I also don't like a lot of shoe/boot/ankle showing when I sit, so the longer inseam also helps in that department as well.

As for rise (that's the measurement from the top of the waist to the crotch), I typically find that 9.5" is about right for me; not too high, but not too low. I have some Diesel X-Rotucks that have a 9" rise and those are maybe a little too low for me. Low rise are good for girls (my wife usually wears 7.5" to 8" rise), but on guys, that is certainly not a good look :)

I am in the market for new jeans for the fall. I have been looking at the Levi capital E jeans.

I have always found it difficult to find jeans that fit properly. It seems that so many I have tried end up being to snug around my bal..

I guess the answer than is to find something with a longer rise.

Is this correct Ubi?

I also prefer button fly.

Well, the lower the rise, the lower on the waist/hips the jeans are going to sit. The natural instinct would be to want to pull the waist up as high as possible since they'll feel low, but that would in effect cause the equipment to get smashed. The cut of the jeans also plays a role in that as well; slimmer, more fitted thighs and hip will probably fit a bit tighter in the crotch; I find this to be the case with my jeans as well, and they fit like nut huggers.

My advice would be to go for a slightly higher rise in that case. Or a more relaxed fit.

I would suggest Seven for all Mankind. Relaxed fit.

Comfortable for sure. Not too loose, not too tight.

I've owned over 30 pairs of Diesel jeans, I still have 10 of them. I was never a fan of the X-rotuck and the Zathans, even though I have two pairs of Zathans in my closet right now (which never get worn). They hug the thigh too tightly and you will hate that low rise, especially if your wearing loose jeans now. You just won't feel comfortable in them.

I started buying the Seven "relaxed" jeans and now have 13 pairs and always looking for more.

You'll love them

I'm wearing Levis 504 at the moment. Straight cut, good if you're skinny, and they come in some very nice finishes.

I wore nothing but Diesel for 10 years, but find I don't like the newer cuts, and they aren't great value.

Bring a girl (or ask a sales girl or the gay salesman) to check out what your [censored] looks like. That's the most important thing.

Hmmm... I could never get into 7FAM. I bought 3 pairs and they all feel thin and flimsy like they're about to rip. Mostly baggy and sloppy looking cuts, too. About as good as GAP jeans, but at twice the price or more.

I'll agree that some are thin. I stay away from those ones, as they don't get much wear.

They're bootcut isn't as form fitting as Diesel's Zathan's but it gets close.

Here in Canada Gap jeans are about $70, Seven's and Diesels run about the same $225-$325.

I've got about a dozen Paper Denim's as well, I loved those for a while.

The Diesel's that I ended up wearing the most were the "Rabox".

I'm sure they don't make them anymore though. Just a simple straight leg, but yeah they were thick, you could pass those on to your kids.

I've kept a few different washes of those, the rest were donated to charity.

I swear I seen some homeless guy wearing my 796 x-rotucks a few months ago.

There are some funky Diesels out there, that's for sure. I am also not a big fan of the newer cuts and washes, so I tend to just collect certain washes from 2003 - 2005; some 2006/2007, but that's about as far as it goes. I can't say that I agree about them not being good value, however. Sure, they're $200 - $270 a pair, but they definitely stand the test of time. I have pairs from 2002/2003 that are still like new, and worn frequently. However, I do rotate through 20 - 25 odd pairs, so some get more seat time than others.

Any of you guys like the dry/selvedge stuff? Seems intriguing, but the cuts offered seem rather bland and generic. Also... I'm not sure how I feel about wearing a pair of jeans for 12mos. straight without washing.

As a slight detour... A friend of mine was recently trying to convince me to try a pair of Dior MIJ's; granted I can appreciate Hedi Slimane's stuff, it just isn't something I can see myself wearing.

There are some funky Diesels out there, that's for sure. I am also not a big fan of the newer cuts and washes, so I tend to just collect certain washes from 2003 - 2005; some 2006/2007, but that's about as far as it goes. I can't say that I agree about them not being good value, however. Sure, they're $200 - $270 a pair, but they definitely stand the test of time. I have pairs from 2002/2003 that are still like new, and worn frequently. However, I do rotate through 20 - 25 odd pairs, so some get more seat time than others.

Any of you guys like the dry/selvedge stuff? Seems intriguing, but the cuts offered seem rather bland and generic. Also... I'm not sure how I feel about wearing a pair of jeans for 12mos. straight without washing.

As a slight detour... A friend of mine was recently trying to convince me to try a pair of Dior MIJ's; granted I can appreciate Hedi Slimane's stuff, it just isn't something I can see myself wearing.

Ah!! A real denim aficionado!

Your in the same boat as myself, most of my Diesel's are from 2001-2003.

I still have a box of them at my parents, most of them a size to small. Or I'm a size to big.

I do still have some from that time frame that have been well worn and are close to mint. That and they still fit.

I'm not into the dry stuff, I would think that after so long of no washing they would just feel horrible, all saggy and moist.

Dior MIJ's are a little too Emo for me, I just don't like that ankle hugging stuff.

The older I get the smaller my rotation of denim gets. At one point I had over 150 pairs of jeans and I thought to myself "man this is stupid, if I gain 20 pounds none of these will fit".

Then I gained 20 pounds, most of them didn't fit, some of the looser fitting ones I can still wear 7-8 years later.

I just had a thing for denim. I still do, I just make sure any new addition is a must have, or something I've been searching for.

Right now I'm big on 7FAM Havana's, I don't think they make them anymore, but I'm searching for my fourth pair in my size.

Ebay is a good place for that.

lol and to be honest i dont know what you're talking about at all :p.. like seriously to me jeans looks the same.. which is probably the reason i asked.. so in conclusion i still haven't decided what's the best to get.. so diesel is good right? living in adelaide it's really hard to find these jeans.. i havent seen any true religions anywhere in south australia.. nor have i seen diesel

hmm so mixed messages now :p.. some say tr some say diesel others say something else :p.. anyway i think ive decided to go diesel from your fit ubi.. as for the color.. i do have a "bootcut" jeans from french connections.. they do look alright.. they're dark blue but flat colours.. if i want to wear mine with paul smith shirt (sometimes) or with just normal A|X shirt or polos.. what colour should i get and should i get faded or flat colours?

Well, the first thing you should do is figure out what size you actually wear. The thing with a lot of these brands is that the size on the tag does not necesarily reflect the actual size of the pair of jeans (i.e. they do not run true to size), so it's important to go off of actual measurement rather than tag size. As an example, I wear a size 29 in most jeans; in Diesel I wear a size 27 - 28 for Pre-2006 washes, and a 26 - 27 in post 2006 washes. The reality of it all is that my actual fit is a waist that measures 14.5" across; as such, that's part of my criteria for finding the right fit for me.

There are other factors to take into consideration as well- Hip, thigh and knee measurement will also play a big role in determining the right fit. If you have a slim waist, but large thighs, some cuts will not work as well as others, so it's a good idea to figure out what your measurements are. This guide is a good place to start:

How to measure jeans.

Having those measurements will help you considerably if buying jeans online. Most sellers will provide this information either as default, or if asked.

Once you have your measurements figured out, you'll be able to find a brand and cut of denim that should work for you; at that point, you can then figure out what color/wash you want based on what's available for that cut.

The process is a lot of trial and error depending on what kind of fit you want. Looser, baggier fit is easier to figure out; a more fitted, tailored look may be a bit more difficult to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...