When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica, Fake, Counterfeit, Franken and now .....

Oyster

An article I pluck from ++tp://counterfeitchic.com/2007/10/index.php

==========

Pssst! Want to buy a watch?

According to an article by Liza Casabona in this month's WWD Accessories supplement (not available online), seizures of counterfeit watches are on the rise. So far this year, watches and watch parts account for 10 percent of the goods seized by U.S. customs, following only apparel and footwear, and up from 2 percent for fiscal 2006. And that's not including online sales of "replica watches," or the legally more complex issue of jewelers altering less expensive versions of genuine watches to look like their pricier counterparts by, for example, adding diamonds. (Thus far, the brands are winning their trademark infringement cases, based on the argument that the modified watches are misrepresented as original workmanship and do not carry disclaimers.)

Perhaps counterfeit retailers have finally decided to target all the guys hanging around on Canal Street while their female friends are buying fake handbags.

And yes, those quotes are from your favorite law prof -- thanks, Liza!

P.S. Doubt the trend? There's even a website that reviews replica watches:

==========

It seemed that the so called aftermarket parts are big business especially when a logo is involved :whistling:

Franken (gen article with other parts from another gen article) or modified pieces built to pass of as other seemed to be another.

So my question now, how do we categorize our so called franken (I believe there should be a better or a more accurate designation compared to the franken we all use)?

This is after all the land of frankens (united atleast :1a: ) compared to the vast our there.

R

I like the term 'custom' or 'customized', as that doesn't matter if the parts or watches are rep or gen, simply that the watch has been built by/for the owner's personal requirements (thus encompassing 'intentional fantasy' models, rather than a purchased 'fantasy' model) :)

the legally more complex issue of jewelers altering less expensive versions of genuine watches to look like their pricier counterparts by, for example, adding diamonds.

I don't see the problem with customizing genuine watches. Most all diamond watches that have diamonds added are denoted after market so the consumer knows what hey are buying. I remember a story about a dealer that was arrested and sued for adding aftermarket parts to genuine Rolexes eve after disclosing it. Ridiculous. Next we wont be able to buy or sell modified cars.

I don't see the problem with customizing genuine watches. Most all diamond watches that have diamonds added are denoted after market so the consumer knows what hey are buying. I remember a story about a dealer that was arrested and sued for adding aftermarket parts to genuine Rolexes eve after disclosing it. Ridiculous. Next we wont be able to buy or sell modified cars.

Crazy. I can understand it 'voiding the warranty', but to sue someone over it... Corporate Protectionism gone mad :(

Crazy. I can understand it 'voiding the warranty', but to sue someone over it... Corporate Protectionism gone mad :(

Precisely. Unless the said watch is intended to deceive.

On another note it reminds me of what Ferrari did with their FXX. You are buying a program, you don't own anything and that simply implies that you can't do anything to the car. But sadly most Swiss Manufacturers are not Ferrari :bangin:

I was also thinking custom, but the thing with this term is it generally refers to something being made to order or as ordered by a customer. I don't think that quite fits. Composite on the other hand simply refers to something that is made from different parts. A more general term but I think it fits better.

LOL, review is a preety lose word for what they do. "Misslead" would be a better one.

Col.

LOL +2

Ms. Casabona/author should have done more google, then sign in with RWG,

Then..........

Hit the search button :1a:

I'm pretty sure her article would turn out differently ^_^

Precisely. Unless the said watch is intended to deceive.

On another note it reminds me of what Ferrari did with their FXX. You are buying a program, you don't own anything and that simply implies that you can't do anything to the car. But sadly most Swiss Manufacturers are not Ferrari :bangin:

Of course, if there's any intent to deceive, then yes, absolutely actionable, but other than that, I think it's taking 'intellectual property rights' a bit too far... Afterall, the person is buying the item permanantly, not renting or leasing it... Crazy...

I was also thinking custom, but the thing with this term is it generally refers to something being made to order or as ordered by a customer. I don't think that quite fits. Composite on the other hand simply refers to something that is made from different parts. A more general term but I think it fits better.

But surely that's the key 'point' to the definition? For example, take these two project subs of mine...

DSCN1625.jpg

The one on the left, I would definitely agree to fitting the definition of a composite watch, as it is assembled solely from whatever spares I had lying around to make a 'complete watch'. However, it is not really built to my personal specifications/preferences, as I didn't have the option of 'choices' with the parts... However, the watch on the right, although not 100% complete, I would say fits the definition of a custom watch, as (excluding parts to come, and the bleach damage to the insert) it was actually built with the parts I wanted to install, to give the result which I wanted (essentially, I wanted to build a 'sleeper' sub). Even if I was to sell the vintage sub on to someone else, I feel it would retain the custom title, as the manner in which it was built, was to a custom plan, where the NATO Sub, was never really 'built to a plan', just fabricated from the spares which were available :) If that makes any sense :D

Perhaps a hybrid TERM would suffice gentlemen? B)

Indeed, but what would that term be :D

That is a great one TeeJay. It has an excellent sound to it ...compare : "this is a Franken Datejust" TO "this is a custom Datejust" .... I am onboard with this one. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I like the term 'custom' or 'customized', as that doesn't matter if the parts or watches are rep or gen, simply that the watch has been built by/for the owner's personal requirements (thus encompassing 'intentional fantasy' models, rather than a purchased 'fantasy' model) smile.gif

I think custom also refers to something no longer made up of original parts not just something made to order. A custom watch can be made on spec with the intention being to put it into the inventory for general sale with no specific buyer having ordered it or something like it. Composite is a fine option too.

Ok gents, please allow me to summarize on the 16 posts we have at the moment where numerous terms had been suggested.

To put it loosely, we are all about in the market where we put in an on the shelf Swiss movement, genuine parts and aftermarket parts to form/build a watch whereby it resemble a genuine article.

They "could" be called a :-

1) Composite Watch - Greystash

2) Custom or Customized - Teejay

3) Fantasy - Teejay

4) Semblance or "semb" for short - Wwarren

5) Aftermarket Upgrade - Pugwash

6) Tribute - Redwatch

7) Testament - Redwatch (add/edited)

Please help to grow this list :good:

Next up, say when we have 10 terms or more, I'm planning to get a poll up B) so that we'll have an unique term to call ourselves for our beloved hobby :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

R

Edited by Oyster

It's an Aftermarket Upgrade.

And yes, you can be sued for modifying someone's trademark and "passing it off" as the genuine article.

Absolutely :)

That is a great one TeeJay. It has an excellent sound to it ...compare : "this is a Franken Datejust" TO "this is a custom Datejust" .... I am onboard with this one. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think custom also refers to something no longer made up of original parts not just something made to order. A custom watch can be made on spec with the intention being to put it into the inventory for general sale with no specific buyer having ordered it or something like it. Composite is a fine option too.

I think both terms have validity, depending upon the watch in question, or, more specifically, the intent behind it's construction. I think 'composite' is a fine term to describe any built watch which is built of whatever (rep or gen) parts are available to build 'a working watch', with no real intent to final appearance, other than functionality as a time-keeper, where I think 'custom' is a good term to describe a watch which is built out of (rep or gen) parts, with the intent of the watch having a particular (customer/owner chosen, but fantasy) appearance.

I think if the builder's intent is to replicate a specific model of watch (as closely as possible), I feel that that's when the watch becomes an homage, as it is intended to look a particular way (regardless of rep or gen parts), but that appearance is being dictated by the original factory design, rather than the builder's own choices :)

I like the term composite. I also like the term "modded." The watch has in fact been modified from its original template. Since we already use the term modded to mean "modified to be more like the gen" perhaps we can fuse TeeJay's term and call this "custom mod."

"CUSTOMOD"

"I don't see the problem with customizing genuine watches. Most all diamond watches that have diamonds added are denoted after market so the consumer knows what hey are buying. I remember a story about a dealer that was arrested and sued for adding aftermarket parts to genuine Rolexes eve after disclosing it. Ridiculous. Next we wont be able to buy or sell modified cars."

Part of the address did not show in my post above.

Google this...

ROLEX WATCH USA INC VERSUS ROBERT MEECE