When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Invincible Bezel Insert

Alextor

Hello guys,

I'm experimenting with bezel insert and 'vintagizing procedures'...I have read cautionary tales of fellow forum members about leaving the insert in the 'bath' too long ...usually over 1/2 hour...

104867-25329.jpg

So I dipped my bezel insert (from RaymondLee Jewelers) in a progressive torture bath...

1) espresso (apparently works for Panerai only :D )

2) detergent (palmolive)

3) 1/2 water

for 1 hours (with 10 minute check ups)...

NOTHING...still shining ... black as new :g:

then

4) more detergent (tide with bleach)

5) NaCl (salt)

4) H2O2 (peroxide)

for another hour...NOTHING

I got a great antiseptic-cleaner that can be used for superficial wounds and washing dishes <_<

then

5) more salt

6) citric acid (lemon juice)

7) pine sol (that irresistible fresh scent)

for another hour

NOTHING.....NOTHINGGG!!! :black_eye:

I got an antiseptic-dishwashing fluid- hemorroid cleanser that smells like a chemical bomb but can be used to spike a tea. :Jumpy:

so I added

8) scrubbing bubbles...(it that rips the grime off my bath tiles...)

NOTHING....another hour and NOTHING... :black_eye:

I'm running out of detergents at home...so where can I get kryptonite? :wounded1:

any ideas...??? :g:

Alex

Glad to see you managed to get it done, and I know you posted in this thread already but here is the thread regarding vintagizing the bezel insert, which is a reasonably simple process, with some good examples from Myself, and Ubi at this point, but hopefully some good examples from Repaustria soon, as well as some NOT SO GOOD examples of what happens if you leave it in too long from both me and Ubi.

VINTAGIZE YOUR BEZEL INSERT

Hola Edge

I actually followed the recommendations on your thread but I think this particular insert has a glossy coating on the surface that makes it impermeable to anything. :black_eye: I'll try bleach later on today!! I'll post the post experiment pictures...

Cheers :drunk:

Glad to see you managed to get it done, and I know you posted in this thread already but here is the thread regarding vintagizing the bezel insert, which is a reasonably simple process, with some good examples from Myself, and Ubi at this point, but hopefully some good examples from Repaustria soon, as well as some NOT SO GOOD examples of what happens if you leave it in too long from both me and Ubi.

VINTAGIZE YOUR BEZEL INSERT

Well I try that with mine and did not work, I think it will only work on genuine bezel inserts. I got my from helfhands and no luck, still dark.

I wish I can get my hand on a genuine insert that will make my life easier.

Regards

Edited by cib0rgman

Well I try that with mine and did not work, I think it will only work on genuine bezel inserts. I got my from helfhands and no luck, still dark.

I wish I can get my hand on a genuine insert that will make my life easier.

Regards

This thread is funny...It reminds me of the efforts I made earlier this year, on a helfands insert.

First, I left the inserts face-up outside on my bbq bar, were it experienced over 30 days of California sun and acid rain....nothing. It still looked as good as the day I bought it. Next, I tried the 50/50 bleach with salt solution: 1/2 hour...nothing. 1 hour...nothing. 2 hours...nada. Next came staight up 100% bleach...again, no effect.

Finally, I found a product that could get to the helfands: Duro Tub'N Sink Jelly, with Phosphoric Acid. I covered the insert with this stuff, and after a couple of minutes, I could see the color leaching away....very nice effect.

However, in the end, I decided to just use a NOS genuine insert on my DRSD. In about 20 years, it'll look perfect :thumbsupsmileyanim: