When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where can I get a replacement "Swiss" movement

HEWLIO

:whistling:font="Verdana"]Ofrei is OK but chances are you will probably deal with "Bob" I had an issue with him several years ago. I had to practicaly beg him to fill an order and ship it out...too weird. If you call and he answers hang up and call back until one of his minions pi[cks up.

• Like 1

:whistling:font="Verdana"]Ofrei is OK but chances are you will probably deal with "Bob" I had an issue with him several years ago. I had to practicaly beg him to fill an order and ship it out...too weird. If you call and he answers hang up and call back until one of his minions pi[cks up.

Better still don't call in the 1st instance :D Then you don't need to be "Freid" ;)

There are a ton of other suppliers....Jules Borel( who were smart enough to disassociate themselves from Frei Borel.) or Cousins in the UK, just for starters.

Make sure you know exactly what you need, then do the research on who has that movement, at the best price point.

Offshore

or check the trading zone. People like Concepta and River have movements every so often.

There is also the gen movement route... I have a 1570 and 3035 movement unused (so far!) but for the watches your replacing the movements in, it probably isn't worth going down that road.

Or just buy a swiss version, by the time you have bought a movement hands and dial feet/dots or a new dial, possibliy a new movement holder you might as well upgrade with a new watch, but if you want to lean it would be a great project to start with,you may need a date wheel overlay as well.

Or just buy a swiss version, by the time you have bought a movement hands and dial feet/dots or a new dial, possibliy a new movement holder you might as well upgrade with a new watch, but if you want to lean it would be a great project to start with,you may need a date wheel overlay as well.

Just pop the date wheel off the old one and glue it on, Thats what i did last time i had to replace one. Do "swiss" movements last longer durability wise than asian movements?

Do "swiss" movements last longer durability wise than asian movements?

Not necessarily. A well-designed movement, properly maintained, will last for generations. The main sticking point is that your watchsmith will have PARTS for the genuine movement, and no parts of the Asian version. Something to think about if you want to be able to fix something .. the other side of the coin is that Asian movements can be replaced instead of fixed .. so ..

Well the best of the CN ETA clones (DG, Sea-Gull et al) have most parts interchangble with the gen so that fixes that problem. The MVTs themselvs are for all intents and purposes just as reliable as the Swiss origenal at a fraction of the price so that's the route I'd be going.

Col.