When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to stop the noobmariner rattling

mastrmindalliance

Ok, first let me say I have searched extensively. I've searched here, the other acceptable forums and of course google.

I know the noobmariner is considered the best rep bracelet. Though it needed serious work out of the box... I've oiled (three in one brand, quick drying silicon) filed, polished, buffed and tightened but it still rattles like a street fake. Seriously, I have $10 no name gens that don't rattle at all.

Everyone says this is great rep bracelet but mine feels weak, flimsy and above all; makes a rattling noise at the slightest move. Are there any tips from the experienced peeps here?

Also By-Tor's review describes the bezel as "smooth". Mine is like this: youtube vid (bezel at 2.11).

Again, I've searched and searched but can't find a definitive answer. I know the bezel is hard to remove but is there anything I can do about these things?

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping a n00b, any advice is much appreciated.

Dan.

Ok, first let me say I have searched extensively. I've searched here, the other acceptable forums and of course google.

I know the noobmariner is considered the best rep bracelet. Though it needed serious work out of the box... I've oiled (three in one brand, quick drying silicon) filed, polished, buffed and tightened but it still rattles like a street fake. Seriously, I have $10 no name gens that don't rattle at all.

Everyone says this is great rep bracelet but mine feels weak, flimsy and above all; makes a rattling noise at the slightest move. Are there any tips from the experienced peeps here?

Also By-Tor's review describes the bezel as "smooth". Mine is like this: youtube vid (bezel at 2.11).

Again, I've searched and searched but can't find a definitive answer. I know the bezel is hard to remove but is there anything I can do about these things?

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping a n00b, any advice is much appreciated.

Dan.

I used to have a real beef about the flimsiness of the Oyster clasp, thinking that it had no place on such a costly, prestige watch (from the gen perspective, of course) until it was pointed out to me, that the Sub was never originally designed as a prestige piece, but intended as a functional tool watch: A stripped down for weight racing car, rather than a luxury sedan. Once I got my head round that, I found myself, not exactly appreciating the clasp more, as there are examples of better engineered clasps (Omega, UN etc) but it certainly doesn't bother me like it used to, so hopefully that might be of help to you in that regard :) With regards the rattling... I've found that oiling the bracelet improves the tactile quality of the bracelet, but not done a lot for any rattling... At the end of the day, the links move about and hit on each other, so they're going to make noise, just like pocket change does. I think the trick is to wear the bracelet at just the right tension so they don't rattle so much when on the wrist :):good:

Real Rolex oyster bracelets are known for their flimsiness. Geez, the old ones from the 60's are downright crap. The noobmariner doesn't make anymore noise than a gen bracelet. Surprisingly, some of the rep bracelets with solid mid-links are quieter and have a better feel- they're just not as accurate as the noob bracelet.

The youtube video certainly had a noisy bezel- I'm assuming it's a rep- timesshop.net is a rep site, if I'm not mistaken. A shot of oil up under the bezel should quiet your noob down, if you're worried about it.

I used to have a real beef about the flimsiness of the Oyster clasp, thinking that it had no place on such a costly, prestige watch (from the gen perspective, of course) until it was pointed out to me, that the Sub was never originally designed as a prestige piece, but intended as a functional tool watch: A stripped down for weight racing car, rather than a luxury sedan. Once I got my head round that, I found myself, not exactly appreciating the clasp more, as there are examples of better engineered clasps (Omega, UN etc) but it certainly doesn't bother me like it used to, so hopefully that might be of help to you in that regard :) With regards the rattling... I've found that oiling the bracelet improves the tactile quality of the bracelet, but not done a lot for any rattling... At the end of the day, the links move about and hit on each other, so they're going to make noise, just like pocket change does. I think the trick is to wear the bracelet at just the right tension so they don't rattle so much when on the wrist :):good:

Dead right TeeJay.

mastrmindalliance, Sub bracelets are NOT flimsy. Think about how many times you have thought of them as flimsy, now think about how many times you have heard of the gen bracelet failing in the field. They are a light weight but tough Tool Watch, not a hefty chunk of bling. The stripped down sports car is a perfect analogy. Like a high performance car they are meant to do a specific job.

They DO however rattle a lot. The gen 16610 Sub that I'm wearing right now (hollow links) rattles a lot. It rattles at the slightest movement.

Your rep bracelet makes noise because it is just like the gen. If you eliminate the noise you will be making it less like a hollow link gen.

I think the noisy hollow link bracelet is a beautiful piece of engineering. Light on the wrist and very reliable.

Dead right TeeJay.

mastrmindalliance, Sub bracelets are NOT flimsy. Think about how many times you have thought of them as flimsy, now think about how many times you have heard of the gen bracelet failing in the field. They are a light weight but tough Tool Watch, not a hefty chunk of bling. The stripped down sports car is a perfect analogy. Like a high performance car they are meant to do a specific job.

They DO however rattle a lot. The gen 16610 Sub that I'm wearing right now (hollow links) rattles a lot. It rattles at the slightest movement.

Your rep bracelet makes noise because it is just like the gen. If you eliminate the noise you will be making it less like a hollow link gen.

I think the noisy hollow link bracelet is a beautiful piece of engineering. Light on the wrist and very reliable.

Credit where credit's due, you were the one who first used the analogy and changed my perspective on the oyster bracelet :drinks: