When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of quartz movements in reps

metaljesus

You can find $9.95 quartz watches at Walmart that keep perfectly good time. I would think that even the replica companies could afford to put in the $3.00 or $4.00 movements that go into those cheap watches. (No personal experience with the reps and quartz, but logic says that they will use new & cheap quartz movements that will be perfectly accurate--and reliable--for a year or two. The replacement movements have to be cheap too.)

Ask the question of what is fitted.

Most times, particularly in chronos, you will find a Japanese quartz, specifically the Miyota OS series. These are pretty hardy movements, (remember to not try and adjust the time, once the movement has started its date change- depending on the model, this can be between 9pm and 3 am)

If you have a major failure, the replacements are easy to come by, and not overly expensive.

Offshore

PS Some of these are in fact fitted with ETA movements..... whether they originated in Switzerland is another discussion entirely :rolleyes:

So +/1 how many mins/secs a day would you guess it was?

Certainly not minutes... It's been nearly a year since I actually wore it, but if I recall, it would stay synched to the radio-controlled clock in the study for at least a few weeks :)

So, I could possibly belive this?

"Movement: Swiss Eta Quartz Chronograph Movement"

I just assumed it was marketing BS.

Personally speaking, I'd ignore it as marketing BS (although it might be accurate) but, the movement would still be likely to keep good time :) If I was to get another chrono-featuring watch, I would rather get it with a quartz movement, even if it's inaccurate to the original, than run the risk of a time-bomb auto movement :)

My B&R 01-94 has a Japanese Miyota movement and is dead-bang accurate to less than a second per MONTH, not per day. That's how I knew I was ripped off and send a Quartz instead of the promised Automatic!! LOLOLOL!!!! The chrono function is flawless and is still working perfectly after 9 months of ownership.

Anyway, the range you get in reps is from a true Miyota to a absolute piece of crap Chinese quartz movement. That's what came in the Cartier LaDona I got for my wife. It didn't last 6 months.

I paid $150 for each of these watches ... so what you pay for is seldom what you get ;)

Edited by Jkay

Probably an incredibly stupid newbie question: but do all quartz movements tick once per second or are there also "sweeping" quartz movements?

As far as I know, the only sweeping quartz movements are in wall clocks, rather than watches... I'd be happy to be corrected on that though :)

Probably an incredibly stupid newbie question: but do all quartz movements tick once per second or are there also "sweeping" quartz movements?

Not stupid at all.

Most think just that.

However there are/have been a few.

The Accutron is the best known, and it appeared in a few Omega as the 300hz.

There have been other attempts, but power drain is the killer.

From memory there has been something quite recently, but it will probably go the way of all the rest.

Offshore

• Like 1

I have a few quartz watches and they are perfect. For the price of a good auto rep, you could pick up a real nice Casio Waveceptor, I have the one from the Bourne movie and it's awesome!! It's almost like a small computer, it can work out lap times, has multi timezone functions, the chrono is amazing, down to 100th of a sec and it looks good too!! Costs around

The Rolex Quartz 5100:

oq01.jpg

OysterQuartz.net

In 1968 an industrial consortium of Swiss watch manufacturers was created to mass produce the Beta 21. This was a true collaborative effort among otherwise competing watch companies, all of whom would be using the Beta 21 in their own branded quartz watches. The CEH itself designed the module and produced the integrated circuit. Ebauches SA (the forerunner of today's ETA) manufactured the mechanical parts of the movement as well as the quartz oscillator. Omega was responsible for producing the micromotor that powered the watch hands. This "motor" was really a vibrating unit that drove a tiny horizontal pendulum set to oscillate at 256Hz and this pendulum drove the hands by means of a ratchet and index wheel. (This drive mechanism was virtually identical to that used on the original Bulova Acutron.) The end result was that unlike with modern quartz movements, the second hand of a Beta 21 watch moved around the dial smoothly

I have two Rep quartz watches, a Omega po crono and a Hublot BB. They are both keeping great time after more then six months. I have read that most quartz movements are good to about 60 secs per year. My understanding Is that most reps have the cheeper Japanise movements. I would also say that Offshore would know more then most about quarts watches. :) Mike

You've all had better luck with rep quartz watches than the Mrs. has. She's had 2 or 3 break.

You just reminded me of the first rep I bought, a quartz J12 for my wife about 3 years ago, which somehow re-surfaced a few days ago... Okay, the paint's got chipped, and the aftermarket strap it is on looks like it's a biohazard, (White faux-leather...) but the movement is still ticking away, accurate as ever :)

You know I'm quite proud that most of my threads end up being multi page. :)

Thanks for the experiences guys. The only detail I can get out of King is 'it use japanese movement'.

So its obviously a crap shoot, but one in which it sounds like I should do okay.

Edited by metaljesus

Quartz-movements are interesting!

The replica of the TAG Heuer Formula One Chronograph as well as the Indy use the same ETA Quartz movement as the gen. I checked

Mine :)

DSC_5092.jpg

The most expensive Quartz replica must be the Porsche Doppelchronograph, supposedly with the genuine split-chronograph ETA-movement, at more than 300USD. Have not seen any review.

dobbelchrono.jpg

http://www.jpc8118.com/00pd10011-6320-flat-chrono-ssru-grey-swiss-251262-p-4337.html

I have read that most quartz movements are good to about 60 secs per year. My understanding Is that most reps have the cheeper Japanise movements.

Japanese movements (meaning Miyota) are outstanding, not "cheaper" ... Chinese quartz are the devils, especially a Chinese movement stamped "Miyota" LOL.

@Jkay,

Are you speaking here of just the Chinese cheapies (plastic) stamped Miyota only, (I agree with you BTW) or have you seen OS (chrono) Miyotas (Japanese) that may have been Chinese manufactured?

I have suspected that some OS movements of late may have questionable parentage :whistling:

Offshore