When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ran Into A Genuine Panerai Wearer At Starbucks

crystalcranium

Standing at the counter yesterday with my wife when a gentleman of the same generation commented positively on my Bentley GT with the Cafe au Lait colored strap from BOB. He was wearing a Panerai genuine he bought on the "bay" for about $3000. I'm not even minorly versed in Panerai's but it was a white dial with a greenish croc strap. It had a second hand subdial at either 3 or 6 oclock. The watch still dwarfed my Bentley. I still think they look a little strange. The difference between a genuine wearer and a replica wearer? We left and he got into his Porsche Cayenne and we got in our Pontiac Aztek. I wonder if the Chinese make body conversion kits so I could drop an Infinity FX45 shell over it!!!

Standing at the counter yesterday with my wife when a gentleman of the same generation commented positively on my Bentley GT with the Cafe au Lait colored strap from BOB. He was wearing a Panerai genuine he bought on the "bay" for about $3000. I'm not even minorly versed in Panerai's but it was a white dial with a greenish croc strap. It had a second hand subdial at either 3 or 6 oclock. The watch still dwarfed my Bentley. I still think they look a little strange. The difference between a genuine wearer and a replica wearer? We left and he got into his Porsche Cayenne and we got in our Pontiac Aztek. I wonder if the Chinese make body conversion kits so I could drop an Infinity FX45 shell over it!!!

I wonder if the Chinese make body conversion kits so I could drop an Infinity FX45 shell over it!!!

I wonder if the Chinese make body conversion kits so I could drop an Infinity FX45 shell over it!!!

LOL!!!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim::unsure::victory::bounce::Jumpy:

I ran into a person wearing a Vacheron Constantin tourbillon on my flight from Hong Kong to Tokyo in First Class and he noticed the AP JPM Offshore on my wrist and we began to talk about watches in general. Turns out the other 6 people in the First Class cabin were all of his family and they live in a HK$600 million mansion, and that they paid close to HK$400,000 ($50,000 US) for the tickets while economy would have cost about $2,000 US for all 6 people (I got my ticket from an award program).

I ran into a person wearing a Vacheron Constantin tourbillon on my flight from Hong Kong to Tokyo in First Class and he noticed the AP JPM Offshore on my wrist and we began to talk about watches in general. Turns out the other 6 people in the First Class cabin were all of his family and they live in a HK$600 million mansion, and that they paid close to HK$400,000 ($50,000 US) for the tickets while economy would have cost about $2,000 US for all 6 people (I got my ticket from an award program).

Admit that you are filthy rich, and you have same life as this lucky bastard: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/188390/the_rich_sheik/ :yu:

..award program my a**... :bleh:

Whilst travelling to Gibraltar of all places, I noticed a gentleman on my flight with a 111 who was wearing it on a ss bracelet, I had mine on a BOB Vertigo Brown, he actually came up to me to compliment my choice in watch, and never had any idea that it was a $100 Chines Version of the watch he paid plenty for. We chatted for about 10 mins or so about watches, he was a Corporate Manger and owned 3 Pam's and asked me if I had any other watches, to which I obviously replied with a veritable who's who of my rep collection of the time, and also my 2 gens. Failing to make any distinction between them of course.

Whilst travelling to Gibraltar of all places, I noticed a gentleman on my flight with a 111 who was wearing it on a ss bracelet, I had mine on a BOB Vertigo Brown, he actually came up to me to compliment my choice in watch, and never had any idea that it was a $100 Chines Version of the watch he paid plenty for. We chatted for about 10 mins or so about watches, he was a Corporate Manger and owned 3 Pam's and asked me if I had any other watches, to which I obviously replied with a veritable who's who of my rep collection of the time, and also my 2 gens. Failing to make any distinction between them of course.

Ahhhh yes life in the replica world is good :yeah:

i work in a starbucks in waikiki (don't be too critical, i'm in college), and the other morning i opened the store at 5:30AM. the first customer to enter was wearing something massive on his wrist, a genuine PAM024. he noticed my watch and said "that's a nice looking watch, see." and held his wrist out. i placed my custom built 001 (jimmyzfu case and guard, davidsen crown, crystal and hands, josh's b series caseback and dial, and a genuine ETA 6497-2 i bought on the bay for 70 bucks). he said "wow, great watches aren't they?" then i replied, "sure, but your's is genuine." he told me that before he bought his genuing that he experimented with reps, and that the difference between the genuine article and the replicas is negligible. i told him about my custom built 001 with genuine strap and how it cost me under 600 for parts and labour. at that point the woman with him shrieked "a 600 dollar fake?!" in disbeleif. i got a little defensive and told her i built it myself from the same high quality parts. at that point i handed him my watch and he showed them both to his lady friend and she said she couln't tell the difference. then he handed me his genuine 024 and allowed me to play with the crown guard. the action wasn't much smoother than our replicas, and certainly less smooth than jimmy's guard with bushing. the springiness of the crown was very subtle. the overall feel was not very impressive, and after finally handling a genuine, i am glad i haven't purchased a one (though i very well could--i own my 18,000 dollar car). but anyway i flattered him and said i should get myself a genuine one of these days. he then tells me that they are an old italian navy watch, to which i replied "yes i know, i am a big fan."

Guest eddielee11

I was driving my rental pontiac( back from a sales call), and was on my way back to Canada at detroit border last week, and the canadian custom officer noticed my newly acquired shinny seiko, and he did make a nice compliment on my new baby...and subsequently, i was pulled over to go to the ccra, custom office, and to pay 72$ taxes..as i was only at detriot for less than 24 hours..... :angry:

Guest eddielee11

never never never joke with any canadian custom officers!!!!PERIOD!!!!

they are not fun at all...they do take their jobs seriously....

they never smile, never joke, and they are never friendly......and they never do small little chit chat.....just cut the craps! and go striaght to the points....THEY ARE worst than soup nazI!!!! but they are really doing their jobs. never [censored] them off....never argue,,, then u r fine....THIS IS JUST WHITE OR BLACK. NO GREY OR BLUE.!!!! JUST YES OR NO.

when they want you to pay taxes you better pay....

when they want to pull you over for FULL car search, you better work with them.

when they want answer, you better give them answers. ...the right answers.....and yes....i am asian,,,and the line" sourryyy....me no speak english.....",,,will never work...because they will assign you with a custom officer who speak your language...and if they know you play with them,,,you will have to spread your legs and expect a full cavity search.....!!!!! :angry::animal_rooster::bicycle::black_eye:

WELCOME TO CANADA.....YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IF YOU DONT SPEND MONEY IN CANADA, OR IF U R TERRORISTS....DONT FOOL AROUND.....AND CSIS ( CAANDIAN SPY AGENCY)AND RCMP ( POLICIA)ARE WATCHING YOU LIKE THE HAWKS!!!--BUT IF U PAY TAXES....THAT WILL BE ANOTHER STORY. :group:

kruzer00, you aren't a Canadian resident, unless I'm mistaken, so you have no problems.

Canadian residents frequently get harassed and hosed down by Customs all the time. Last year from Hong Kong to Toronto, I decided to bring a genuine Sub back to Canada. I was at the luggage claim, a customs officer saw me reach for my bag and said "be careful with that nice watch", and sure enough I was sent off for a search and was busted.

I had the watch seized from me and was ordered to pay a $2,000 fine, and I have nothing to show for it. :( They offered to release the watch back to me if I paid an additional $10,000.

kruzer00, you aren't a Canadian resident, unless I'm mistaken, so you have no problems.

Canadian residents frequently get harassed and hosed down by Customs all the time. Last year from Hong Kong to Toronto, I decided to bring a genuine Sub back to Canada. I was at the luggage claim, a customs officer saw me reach for my bag and said "be careful with that nice watch", and sure enough I was sent off for a search and was busted.

I had the watch seized from me and was ordered to pay a $2,000 fine, and I have nothing to show for it. :( They offered to release the watch back to me if I paid an additional $10,000.

:blink:

The whole thing is... unbelievable.

2 questions:

1. How did they find out that you had a brand new watch (in your bag or at your wrist)? Does everybody (even Timex owners) travels with its watch papers then? I never do.

2. Why do they care? You're not going to launch a busines out of 1 watch. And you're not supposed to pay taxes of everything you buy overseas...

that's really bad - i would have probably got myself arrested!

These customs stories are nightmares. I live in Paris right now and in a year or so will move back to the US. I already have 20 reps, God knows what I will have after another year or so. I have been considering how should I transport these back to myself in the US when I move.

The question about how did customs know you had a watch in your checked luggage is scary and the potential for having to pay big bucks to get it back plus the hassle with the possible outcome of loosing your watch is even scarier. These are my babies and I don't want to loose them.

I am thinking that I should just wear my Timex back and ship them all back in the container with the household goods. I had considered taking a few back with me with carry on but that does not look like a good idea.

What do you guys think I should do?

Usil

So what happens if you're wearing a brand new watch that you bought a few days before and is completely legit?

Guest eddielee11

welcome to canada!!!

i am not paul harvey.....and now you know the rest of the story....

u can bring anything across the border

anything

watches,,,,diamodn rings etc.....

when u come back......they have the rights to stop you and impose taxes on you....

how they know it is new or old? or u bought in canada or in usa or paris??? it does not matter form custom point of view.

well....this is what you need to do....

keep all your receipts.

if you were to lie...u r dead.....NEVER LIE.....THEY ARE DAMN GOOD POKER PLAYERS.....THEY DONT LOSE ANYTHING,,,YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WILL LOSE!

if u say the wwtch was bought in canada...cool...." I NEED RECEIPT."

SO YOU HAVE 48HOURS TO PRODUCE THE RECEIPTS.

if u have THE CANADIAN receipts, cool....everythign is cool...no tax for you...

if u dont,,,,well BORDER SERVICES CANADA AGENCY will contact you to pay the taxes within 24 hours.

They will impose the 40% on the original value....even if it is fake,,,they will charge you the original

genuine value.

so ...you still want to lie????

when they stop you, make sure you have receipt...or no..too bad.....40% TO BSCA

next time, if you go across the border, make sure the watch you wear has the canadian receipt.

BECAUSE WHEN U R CAUGHT ONCE,,,,,U GET BURNED...REAL BAD....

they dont care if it is replica or genuine,,,as long as you pay taxes,,,u r ok....

if i were to wear my tw sub...across border,,even it was 1 year old watch....and they stopped me,,,i still need to produce receipt. No receipt...40% penalty, regardless...

if you have receipt,,,then it is your paypal receipt x 40%...becasue you did not pay the importation fees...when u import the goods....it is still against the law.....

Eddie, you're telling me that even though customs know you are the biggest pimp daddy out of Canada and can score chicks like Jesus catching Fish with your Zenith or VC chronos, they still hassle you? That my friend is Un-Canadian.

Edited by CY0811

Every time I travel to Canada(or some other countries) I print the watch models and serial numbers on a piece of paper. When I go through customs I have them inspect and stamp the paper. If they even ask me about them on the way back I show them the paper and get a quick smile and get to move on through.

Works every time.

Cheers,

CM