When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Word Association Thread

P4GTR

Nisei

second generation in Hawaii from Japan.. made up the 442nd Regiment .. along with their Nisei brothers from the West Coast.. they were the most decorated Battalion during the second World War.... they rescued the "lost battalion in Italy".. who were surrounded by the enemy the 442nd were out ..numbered 10 to 1 ...they suffered heavy losses.. but through the whole battle, they're battle cry was.. "Go fo Broke".. not "for".. "fo".. cause the Hawaiian local talk prevailed.. and while the Japanese American families on the mainland were locked in internment camps and had all their land and possessions taken from them because of their race.. their Sons fought and died for the country that imprisoned their families during the War..

They fought for their Country without remorse or concern for their lives.. to prove they were worthy of being an American.

so growing up in Hawaii we were always taught to "Go fo Broke".. like our Uncles did during the War for Hawaii's Japanese Americans.

the Japanese Americans from Hawaii got into a lot of fights with the Nisei from the Mainland.. different upbringings even though they were from the same Country of Origin.. but after they learned that they also "volunteered" after their families were imprisoned .. the Nisei from Hawaii felt their brothers from the Mainland were above all reproach..

although their living numbers are small and dwindling everyday due to age.. we must never forget and past this legacy on to the children here and on the mainland, of the brave Nisei that gave their lives for a Country that turned their backs on them.

BTW.. the battalion they saved were the same soldiers that spit on them in basic training at fort Bliss.. but there was never any remorse from the Nisei.. my fathers Classmate and good friend is the soldier playing taps in the documentary,

it's worth a view... we will always be proud of the phrase "Go for Broke"

Nisei

second generation in Hawaii from Japan.. made up the 442nd Regiment .. along with their Nisei brothers from the West Coast.. they were the most decorated Battalion during the second World War.... they rescued the "lost battalion in Italy".. who were surrounded by the enemy the 442nd were out ..numbered 10 to 1 ...they suffered heavy losses.. but through the whole battle, they're battle cry was.. "Go fo Broke".. not "for".. "fo".. cause the Hawaiian local talk prevailed.. and while the Japanese American families on the mainland were locked in internment camps and had all their land and possessions taken from them because of their race.. their Sons fought and died for the country that imprisoned their families during the War..

They fought for their Country without remorse or concern for their lives.. to prove they were worthy of being an American.

so growing up in Hawaii we were always taught to "Go fo Broke".. like our Uncles did during the War for Hawaii's Japanese Americans.

the Japanese Americans from Hawaii got into a lot of fights with the Nisei from the Mainland.. different upbringings even though they were from the same Country of Origin.. but after they learned that they also "volunteered" after their families were imprisoned .. the Nisei from Hawaii felt their brothers from the Mainland were above all reproach..

although their living numbers are small and dwindling everyday due to age.. we must never forget and past this legacy on to the children here and on the mainland, of the brave Nisei that gave their lives for a Country that turned their backs on them.

BTW.. the battalion they saved were the same soldiers that spit on them in basic training at fort Bliss.. but there was never any remorse from the Nisei.. my fathers Classmate and good friend is the soldier playing taps in the documentary,

it's worth a view... we will always be proud of the phrase "Go for Broke"

"Elvis"

@Lani:.. are you Japanese american? I am also. My dad (half black half japanese) grew up in okinawa and luckily was born after all the internment crap that our government put japanese descendants through. My obaachan (I call her obaachima) has told me stories of life before american occupied japan.. and what it was like leading up to the war.

I had no idea about the 442nd being the most decorated unit, and always assumed that it was the 106th infantry division involved in dday, market garden, battle of the bulge and the taking of the eagle's nest. Great motto they have. Thanks for the history update. :victory:

Mother

Plai, you amaze me with your command of languages. How many do you speak, and how many do you write? My written french is very lousy, so I'll not even try and answer. I'm from the German part of watchdom. :)

Ouais.. Valerian t'as raison.. c'est vachement incroyable la quantit

Mother

Plai, you amaze me with your command of languages. How many do you speak, and how many do you write? My written french is very lousy, so I'll not even try and answer. I'm from the German part of watchdom. :)

I write as many as I speak... :) Having lived in 4 countries helps also

So you're german!? I thought you were SWISS with your location being "vallee du joux" (which should correctly be spelled) "Vallée DE joux" hehehe (i'm a linguist, so am always correcting people.. it's a bad habbit)

p.s. The word is "FOCKER"

Saab

Plai, I'm not German. I am Swiss. But from the German speaking part. Swiss have a many official languages as you speak. :)

You are of course correct about the "du" vs. "de", but it's not real my location anyway. :lol:

"Volvo"

Ok.. I get it now.... you had said Watchdom before.. and i didn't catch the hidden message! Indeed. I have friends in Lousanne, might be there this spring :) I know a guy that lives in Bern as well. Maybe we european members (even though i'm not european) should organize a Get together sometime this summer. Maybe paris or something.. With flights being so cheap.. it could be a good time!

smell of leather

Ok.. I get it now.... you had said Watchdom before.. and i didn't catch the hidden message! Indeed. I have friends in Lousanne, might be there this spring :) I know a guy that lives in Bern as well. Maybe we european members (even though i'm not european) should organize a Get together sometime this summer. Maybe paris or something.. With flights being so cheap.. it could be a good time!

GTG is a good idea, Paris very good. I will get there by train, it's about 3 hours from here. :lol:

I work in Berne. Give a call when you visit! :)

Val.