When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I re-assemble the auto-winding section of a DJ Movement?

TeeJay

A few days ago, I saw this link posted http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html, and I am hoping someone might have something similar for reassembling the movement of my wife's DJ...

I was about to take a photo to show the dealer how the bracelet link had failed, when I noticed the watch had stopped (right as I was holding it) A quick shake, and I heard a grinding noise from inside... Okay, I figured the rotor had come off when it fell... I can screw that back on, no problem... So I unscrew the caseback, only to be confronted by 6 little pieces of metal... A few 'cogs', a couple of screws, and a few 'bits' I can't even identify, as well as the chronograph bridge (which I seperated from the rotor myself to aid in the re-assembly...

It goes without saying that the watch is being returned, but, pride will not allow me to simply chuck the bits in the case and return it, I want to at least try and put it back together (even if it doesn't work) before returning it.

Any links or help would be greatly appreciated, as would if anyone can identify the numbered parts for me...

Thanks in advance :)

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

This help?:

http://horologyzone.com/watch/watch-school/automatic-watch-disassembly.html

If not, forward the link to this thread to The Zigmeister.

Thanks for the link, sadly, it's not showing me exactly what I need to see... I found this guide which has got me on the right lines, but I really need help with identifying each part so I can place it correctly... So far, the only bit I'm sure I've identified, is the intermediate reduction wheel and the jewelled chronograph bridge... The movement itself is still working, it's just this auto-winding part which self-destructed :bicycle::bangin:

Oh well, talk about a crash course in watch repair :lol::black_eye:

Ish... It's certainly giving me a better idea of the gear arrangements, sadly, I'm still at a loss to identify the gears and 'tiny bits' which came out of the movement (which looks much nicer than other Asian movements I've had, and actually operates a heck of a lot better too :) well, when it's not self-destructing, that is :lol: )

Okay, all the pieces are back in the movement. Possibly not in the right places though, as now, not only does the rotor spin without ratcheting, but the movement is jammed solid in terms of winding from the stem... Phase one, is complete... Phase two, will be to either properly identify each part, and re-assemble the watch so it actually winds itself, or, just ship it back to the dealer 'as is'... Pride has been partially satisfied, in that I have at least put the parts back (just maybe not in the original places) with the only tools being a pair of tick removers, and the screwdriver I used to use to change the straps on my PAMs. No loupe or magnifying glass either, so while not a complete success, certainly a good first attempt into the world of movement maintenance :):victory:

Quick update :)

The perfectionist in me couldn't leave the watch as it was, so I had it apart again, and spent the morning trying to re-allign all the little cogs and bits, only to have the chronograph bridge disturb the last piece each time. Eventually, I realized that the 'last piece', was in fact the wrong piece for that place, so I swapped it for the smaller cog-like part, and got the chronograph bridge on without problem. This has left me with a watch which will still not auto-wind, but will at least wind by hand. It's still getting sent back, but at least I can say I did all I could to try and put it back together after it's self-destruction :lol: Very fiddly work, my appreciation and respect for modders and masters like the ZigMeister has shot off the scale :):drinks: (and boy do I need one after that :lol: )

In all my panic to get this re-built, it totally slipped my mind, so a huge thank you for all the help, I'd've been well and truly stuck without it :good::drinks:

The movement pictured is a Seagull ST6, not a Miyota clone.

Here is a good article on the ST6:

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/Servicing%20a%20Chinese%20AutoST6%20Movement/ServicingAChineseST6.htm

Thar's absolutely fantastic, thank you :) Had the reverser wheel not got itself lodged up in the movement, that would probably have enabled me to fix the movement :good: Of course, it's going back to the dealer, but at least it's going back in one piece :tu::victory:

You're a brave man TeeJay !! :1a:

I'd have just thrown it all in a bag and sent it back to the dealer !! Actually, I remember doing just that once before - I bought a Pam homage from TWP and all the hands fell off ! He got it right back. :lol:

You're a brave man TeeJay !! :1a:

I'd have just thrown it all in a bag and sent it back to the dealer !! Actually, I remember doing just that once before - I bought a Pam homage from TWP and all the hands fell off ! He got it right back. :lol:

Had I known that rather than the suspected loose rotor, the auto-wind assembly had dismantled itself inside the watch, I would never have removed the caseback, and just sent it back as it was :lol: After that, it was pretty much just a case of 'clearing up the spilled milk', as I didn't want to return a watch for a faulty bracelet, only for the movement to be in pieces in the bag as well :D To be fair, the dealer immediately offered a replacement bracelet, but when I explained that the movement also had an issue and my wife wanted a replacement, the shipping address was right there in the next email :)

I think it'll be a long time and several stiff drinks before I try anything else with a watch movement, I think I'll just stick to 'kit-bashing' the parts together instead :lol:

Good for you T'J.

I have a lot of that; 'barnyard engineer' in my line as well. I don't think I ever heard of my grandfather sending out a small appliance or small combustion engine for repair. You just dug in and sussed it out. Cogs, levers and cams. Thay all have a job to do; turn, push and pull. Something is interupting the flow. Find it, isolate it, replace it, or repair it. Easy. Life is harder for people who are so inept that they have to send their underwear to the dry cleaners. You will do well in this world my son. 'Conservatism' has nothing to do with politics, but everything to do with being self sufficient. Those bastard politicians just took a sound Anglo philosophy and ran with it. Are you sure there is no Scot in you? :lol:

An aside for no good reason; In '05 I bought my second watch from Joshua; a 6263. Upon receivng the piece I saw the crystal had been pressed on askew of the plastic spacer and bezel. No bother, send it back. But, I noticed the start/stop pusher was bent. So what? Not my problem. I made it so. I fiddled with it until fell from the case. Idiot! Embarrassed as this situation was not included in the email to Joshua, I opened the case back and messed about with it off and on for a week. No joy. I emailed Rob about how much would be fair to fix what had broken, on the already broken watch. He gave me the estimate and I included the cash with watch when I sent it back.

Joshua would have none of it and said he would discount my next purchase the same amount. He then opened his Perfect Clones store and I bought every watch full price through the shopping cart. Three years and a lot of watches later there was a CC secure server problem with PC and I did a deal by email to Joshua for the PO Chrono through PP. Joshua discounted the watch for the inconvenience and though three years had gone by without a further word on the subject he took off another $20. "I still owe you $20 for the broken Daytona". Wow.

Good for you T'J.

I have a lot of that; 'barnyard engineer' in my line as well. I don't think I ever heard of my grandfather sending out a small appliance or small combustion engine for repair. You just dug in and sussed it out. Cogs, levers and cams. Thay all have a job to do; turn, push and pull. Something is interupting the flow. Find it, isolate it, replace it, or repair it. Easy. Life is harder for people who are so inept that they have to send their underwear to the dry cleaners. You will do well in this world my son. 'Conservatism' has nothing to do with politics, but everything to do with being self sufficient. Those bastard politicians just took a sound Anglo philosophy and ran with it. Are you sure there is no Scot in you? :lol:

An aside for no good reason; In '05 I bought my second watch from Joshua; a 6263. Upon receivng the piece I saw the crystal had been pressed on askew of the plastic spacer and bezel. No bother, send it back. But, I noticed the start/stop pusher was bent. So what? Not my problem. I made it so. I fiddled with it until fell from the case. Idiot! Embarrassed as this situation was not included in the email to Joshua, I opened the case back and messed about with it off and on for a week. No joy. I emailed Rob about how much would be fair to fix what had broken, on the already broken watch. He gave me the estimate and I included the cash with watch when I sent it back.

Joshua would have none of it and said he would discount my next purchase the same amount. He then opened his Perfect Clones store and I bought every watch full price through the shopping cart. Three years and a lot of watches later there was a CC secure server problem with PC and I did a deal by email to Joshua for the PO Chrono through PP. Joshua discounted the watch for the inconvenience and though three years had gone by without a further word on the subject he took off another $20. "I still owe you $20 for the broken Daytona". Wow.

No Scot in the family line as far as I know, but, it wouldn't surprise me if there was somewhere :) As you say, no need to get something fixed if there's a possibility of fixing it oneself :) As the reverser wheel is now well and truly lodged inside the movement (I left it 'free floating' in the back of the case to provide a nice 'rattle' for whoever gets it back, so they'd realize there was a problem with the movement), I simply don't have the tools to fix it, but it's very self-affirming to know that I can at least handle that kind of job without too much problem :)

That's cool to hear about the double-discount/refund as well :good:

@TJ: Gutsy effort man! Why don't you buy at least a decent set of mid range screwdrivers and a pair of twezers? You can even get a whole kit for under 100 bucks off the bay.

Col.

Thanks :) I figured with a return being a likelihood, I had nothing to lose by trying to re-assemble it, and as mentioned, it was as much a matter of pride in wanting to at least send it back in a reasonable, rather than disassembled condition :) I think had the other guide come through before, I think I could have fixed the problem, but, never mind, such is life :) I think a decent set of tools might well be worth investing in when I have the spare cash :victory: